Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Brakes?!?!?!

Mein Auto: 335i, Outback, '62 Vette
Musings on a 335 M-Sport combined with Northern California TR

2013 BMW 335i M-Sport, Estoril Blue

M Performance Power Kit
M Performance Exhaust (to be installed tomorrow)
6spd MT
19" staggered wheels w/ summer tires
DHP
Technology Package
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Harmon Kardon stereo
Auto and manual rear sun shades
Burl walnut interior

Current mileage: 700 - 50% Sport+ / 35% Comfort / 15% Eco,
Driving breakdown: 50% mountain, 25% freeway, 25% urban

You can skip to the good stuff, which are 2 videos posted below, one a time-lapse video of the Pacific Coast Highway, and the other a video capturing the exhaust sounds of the 335i with MPPK and stock exhaust while being pushed.

Today is my wife and my second anniversary, so to celebrate it, and our new car, I planned a 2 day, 1 night road trip up the Northern California coast to Jenner, CA, where the Russian River meets the Pacific Ocean. Our trip started from Los Gatos / Saratoga and featured predominately twisty mountain and ocean cliff-side roads. This trip, along with the last week of driving, has helped me solidify certain impressions about the car.

We headed out at 7am yesterday with a quick blast up Hwy 9 into the Santa Cruz mountains, absent tourist or commuter traffic, really letting the car stretch its legs. At the top of 9 we turned north along Hwy 35 (aka, Skyline) toward San Francisco. Highway 9 is a 7 mile stretch of mainly smooth, two lane road with short and medium-radius turns, along with a couple switchbacks. Compared to my e39 M5, which required frequent shifts to keep the higher hp, but lower torque V8 in its powerband, the 335 could be happily left in 3rd gear the entire way. While I'm still limited to 4500rpm during break-in (though I cheated a couple times during the trip) the exhaust has a very nice, though muted, sound, building in a nice crescendo. The MPE is going on tomorrow, so I look forward to the extra volume and deeper base that provides. I asked in a previous thread specific to the MPPK is others noticed much burble on overrun, as I had not. It seems as though that is also mileage-dependent, as its becoming increasing notable (and fantastic sounding).

What I immediately noticed, relative to my M5, is the immediacy with which the 335i turns in. There's been lots of debate over the merits of a 328 vs. 335 in the corners due to the I6's extra weight, but from my perspective, the 335i is almost telepathic in its direction changes. I personally have not noticed much extraneous body roll, either. The steering, as we all know by now, is a let down. It is way over boosted, particularly at low speeds. When you're going over 40mph, or the steering angle increases, the heft picks up linearly. By the time the car's doing 60, the steering feels exactly where I want it. I'm going to hope that BMW can provide a software update that can work on already existing models. Steering feedback is certainly muted relative to the e46 and e90 M3s I've driven (I don't have experience with non-M 3 series cars, unfortunately), but that isn't an issue for me, personally. I track my motorcycle regularly, and prefer Pirelli tires that grip endlessly but filter out excess "noise". My style is to get the basic information, but otherwise trust the tires.

The chassis feels well composed in most instances, although I notice that the car gets knocked off line in bumpier conditions, usually with an accompanying crash through the tires and weird shudders in the steering wheel. I've got a feeling a lot of that is due to the run flat tires, even with the performance rubber. I will definitely be swapping them out for non-run flat Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the coming weeks.

After following Skyline north, we turned down Hwy 92 and met up with 280, the sweeping freeway that follows the mountains and has far less traffic and better views than the 101. This was the perfect opportunity to splay with the different drive settings of the car. I use sport and sport + nearly exclusively, with my wife sticking with comfort (probably b/c its the default). I've never cared about mileage, and I prefer the steering feel and throttle response of the sport setting for nearly all situations. I did find that EcoPro is great for freeway travel when you can reliably set the cruise control for 70mph for extended periods. Eventually 280 dead-ends into San Francisco surface streets, which we followed up to, then across the Golden Gate Bridge. Just on the other side of the GGB is the sleepy town of Sausalito. We stopped at a little coffee shop called Sausalito Bakery & Cafe for a croissant breakfast sandwich and a cappuccino. Josh, the owner, was a real pleasure to chat with.

With breakfast done, it was back on the road up Pacific Coast Highway to Point Reyes National Park, for a 2.5 hour, 9 mile hike out to Arched Rock, overlooking the ocean. Did I mention that my wife is currently 7 months pregnant...the definition of being a badass! Post hike, it was a quick 45-min drive into Bodega Bay on the coast for a late lunch. We stopped at Bodega Bistro, an impossible-to-find-unless-you-know-it's-there restaurant inside the clubhouse of an HOA golf community. But it got the best reviews on Yelp for the area, and the burgers were fantastic by the fireplace. Yes, fireplace, Northern California is chilly out at the coast, especially when the marine layer doesn't burn off.

Views from Arched Rock

A hawk surfing the air current looking for food.

Lunch complete, it was 60 miles of serpentine, smooth tarmac all the way into Jenner, CA, where the Russian River meets the Pacific. These roads, nearly devoid of traffic and zero cops, were a complete blast. Car in sport + and a wife willing to put up with my shenanigans, we really hustled the car. Once again it proved extremely poised and very fast through tight twists and large elevation gains / losses. The brakes, grabby around town, are very powerful, progressive and fade free (at least for street duty). I had no problem braking the century mark, or getting myself back to well below it.

Our final destination was Timber Cove Inn, approximately 15 minutes north of Jenner proper, sitting on a bluff overlooking the Pacific. The best way to describe the place is "rustic chic". That means it's appointments are outdated, but functioning and nice. The views are stunning. We had an oceanfront view, a large 2-person jetted tub (with the same view as our balcony) and a king size bed to celebrate our anniversary. Dinner at the hotel's restaurant, Alexander's, was good, but over-priced. That's not a shock given you're at least 30 minutes away from any other alternatives. But the bartender makes a mean Manhattan, and theyve got a great selection of microbrews. After dinner we went out to the patio's fire pit for some s'mores, before retiring for the evening. Breakfast the next day was better than dinner, but we didn't have time to dwell on it b/c we had an appointment at the Jenner boat slip for a 2-hour kayaking trip on the river. We'd gone early enough that there was no one else on the river, and we had opportunity to see lots of marine birds, cows (not the marine kind) and even a deer swimming out to a little island (apparently it was of the marine kind).

The view from our balcony

Pseudo roughing it.

Robert Siegel, our hotel concierge

Paddling the Russian River

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and once finished with the kayaking, it was time to load up and hit the road back home. While I would have loved to take the "fun route", we wanted to make sure to get through the Bay Area before afternoon traffic picked up. So rather than taking the PCH back, we cut inland towards Petaluma, where we stopped for lunch before jumping on the 101 and blasting south. This portion of the trip let us appreciate the Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde personality of the M-sport 335. With our M5, it was civil, to an extent, but always with the beast lurking within, hinting at his presence. The 335, on the other hand, transforms completely to a sedate highway cruiser when you're not feeling all that pressed for time. The stereo is great, the cabin quiet, and the dual zone climate means Kim and I don't have to fight over AC controls. I still can't tell a difference in ride quality between Comfort and Sport, but, though. Blind spot detection, on the other hand, is a noticeable and very handy tool to have. Definitely an option I'd pop for again.

Speaking of options, we obviously didn't leave much unchecked when ordering our car (thank my wife for that one...). I appreciate all the options, but if I were to order again, especially if I were paying cash, there are a few I might skip. I'm not sold on nav, for instance. I appreciated, but it didn't really function any better than my iPhone 5 with the audio going through the car speakers. The HUD is nifty, I will admit, and if I were leasing / financing such that the payments were amortized over a period of time, then I'd probably opt for it, but paying for it up front, I start to question the value of it. Comfort access is probably the same way. I do enjoy not having to fish for keys, but I'm not sure it's worth whatever the cost was.

What I would order again, would be the 6sp manual, which I found to be light but direct and butter smooth, as well as the larger wheels (they look awesome, and do provide better grip in the staggered setup). Since I've not driven a non-DHP equipped car, I can't really comment on that, except to say that if the steering feel on just an M-sport suspension car remained consistent with the feel of the variable steering in its sportiest settings, then I'd save the $1000. I just don't notice much of a difference in ride between comfort and sport. I would also probably opt for the HK sound system, although I"m not an audiophile, so I likely don't really appreciate the difference.

Given that this car is meant to be my M3 placeholder while I wait for the next M3 to arrive in sedan form, I'd say this is a great compromise. Hell, it's a great car aside from any M3 comparisons!

335i Exhaust when pushed

Time lapse of PCH
2009 Triumph Daytona 675 - The Track Bike

Last edited by slave2gravity; 06-06-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Very nice review, thanks for sharing! It is particularly interesting that a E39 M5 veteran compliments the F30 335i handling and performance, it says a lot how much BMW engine and chassis technologies have advanced. I do agree the EPS is a bit disconnected at low speed, but once it gets up to highway speed, it feels solid and centered just like the old hydraulic steering.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Great travelogue, thanks. Do you have the Continental 5 SSR tires? If so, please post when you get the Michelins. I'd like to know how much difference they make. I'm not too bothered by the Contis, but it could just be the difference in handling coming from a 5 like you noticed.

Edit: oh, almost forgot, happy anniversary!

Last edited by HokieXDriver; 06-04-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Very well put together, and an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Really great read and pictures! Beautiful car as well (M5 and 335i).

Thanks for sharing.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: '13 C63 AMG Sedan
Great writeup. Wonderful photos, too. Thanks for sharing.

'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave2gravity View Post
Given that this car is meant to be my M3 placeholder while I wait for the next M3 to arrive in sedan form, I'd say this is a great compromise. Hell, it's a great car aside from any M3 comparisons!
Interesting - we had the same thinking going into this purchase. I was just 2 years too late for the previous M3 sedan, and I personally don't much care for coupes.

I'm enjoying the car so much I'm starting to wonder about it being an interim car, though. Maybe I'll buy the new M3 sedan when it's been out for a few years, and keep the 335 as my DD.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
Great write-up and pics. I enjoyed the descriptions of the car comparisons and the views.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
I loved reading this slave, great pictures also. Thank you so much for taking the time.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Brakes?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
It is particularly interesting that a E39 M5 veteran compliments the F30 335i handling and performance, it says a lot how much BMW engine and chassis technologies have advanced.
BMW definitely know what they're doing with chassis design, even when it feels like they pander to the masses more now than before. That said, I always felt the M5 was better designed for high-speed sweepers and medium-radius turns. There are definitely sections of road near me that can tie the M5 up in knots trying to keep up with fast left-right transitions. That was one of the decision factors in going for a 3 series rather than finding a CPO V10 M5; I wanted something more handling focused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
Do you have the Continental 5 SSR tires? If so, please post when you get the Michelins. I'd like to know how much difference they make. I'm not too bothered by the Contis, but it could just be the difference in handling coming from a 5 like you noticed.
Yup; I got the Conti 5 SSRs as well. I've never had run flats before, so I could be confusing tire harshness with stiff suspension in this case. I've got lots of experience with the Conti ExtremeContact tires on both my WRX wagon and the M5, and they seemingly felt a ton better than Conti's SSRs. We've got our weekly budget / finance review tonight, so I'll be lobbying my wife to order the Michelins asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
Interesting - we had the same thinking going into this purchase. I was just 2 years too late for the previous M3 sedan, and I personally don't much care for coupes.

I'm enjoying the car so much I'm starting to wonder about it being an interim car, though. Maybe I'll buy the new M3 sedan when it's been out for a few years, and keep the 335 as my DD.
Coupe was immediately out for me since we're expecting (I actually prefer the coupe, myself). It's also incredibly difficult to find a CPO M3 sedan with a manual transmission, so that made the decision to go with the 335i in the interim easy. Curious - why not use the new M3 as a DD? That's my plan - of course I don't have a prayer of convincing my wife to keep a 335 for daily driving and an M3 for fun. Well, that and my commute route is fun every day!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Curious - why not use the new M3 as a DD?
Good question, without a good answer. Really more that I would want to keep an M3 for a long time and using it as a DD might affect that. On the other hand, I watched a video over at petrolicious.com about a guy in San Diego who has driven a trouble-free M5 for 400,000 miles. So maybe it isn't an issue.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Great review man! Love the pics. Reminds me of my recent trip along some of the same roads
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe
Wow, I really need to get out to the West Coast. Great write-up/pics. Car looks awesome as well. Life is good....
Old 06-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Brakes?!?!?!

I've spent about 300 miles with the M Performance Exhaust installed, and posted a video of the exhaust note in 3 scenarios - engine revving at standstill, WOT acceleration from start, "spirited" driving. In all, the exhaust is definitely a marked improvement over stock, although a little more restrained that I would like, personally. Given consistent feedback that the volume increases noticeably after ~1,000 mile break-in, I'll withhold final judgment. That said, since this is a leased car, I wouldn't have put any other system on anyway. Great part about the OEM M Performance parts is I just return the car as-is at end of lease.

Unfortunately the GoPro Hero2's mic isn't pro-quality by any means, and even with the fuzzy wind piece on, there's still some distortion. The sound from inside the cabin is quite nice, though not well captured on camera, either. More high-strung race car note compared to the brutishness of my e39 M5 with SuperSprint exhaust.

Quick disclaimer about the video - I shot it early morning when traffic (especially cyclists) is minimal. I did a "sighting lap" first to check current road conditions, traffic conditions, etc.. Finally, I drove well within my comfort limits, didn't make any aggressive passes and generally showed consideration to the few fellow motorists out and about. Enjoy!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:12 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Cool trip.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
puppet master

Quote:

.........Quick disclaimer about the video - I shot it early morning when traffic (especially cyclists) is minimal. I did a "sighting lap" first to check current road conditions, traffic conditions, etc.. Finally, I drove well within my comfort limits, didn't make any aggressive passes and generally showed consideration to the few fellow motorists out and about. Enjoy!

I appreciate this disclaimer. I am all about enthusiastic driving when it is done in this manner, and don't get the 'save it for the track' folks who don't think that spirited driving can be done safely! These cars were meant to be driven this way!
One question: did you notice any improvement in throttle response with the PE?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Luxury Series..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Great writeup. Wonderful photos, too. Thanks for sharing.
I second that!

It was a Very enjoyable read and Very well written! I felt like I was on the trip with you (which is odd, since I don't want to be a third wheel, especially on an Anniversary trip ).

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife, but you should be careful while doing performance driving with your pregnant wife, you don't want that baby to pop out while cruising through a hairpin curve!

It does sound like you had fun though and the scenery was Beautiful!

Once again, Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Brakes?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
I appreciate this disclaimer. I am all about enthusiastic driving when it is done in this manner, and don't get the 'save it for the track' folks who don't think that spirited driving can be done safely! These cars were meant to be driven this way!
One question: did you notice any improvement in throttle response with the PE?
Yeah, I generally agree, too, and I am a regular at the track (with my motorcycle). My primary rules are:

1. Do it while less crowded
2. Be courteous of others; pass to their comfort, not yours (track rule, too)
3. Leave a bigger margin of error.
4. No blind passes
5. Stay in my lane.

I also don't typically go out on weekends as it's too crowded with lots of CHP around. Fortunately I have a flexible job, so I'll go out for mid-week lunch time runs, or adjust my commute schedule to take the mountain roads at off hours to get my jollies!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Brakes?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyG View Post
I second that!

It was a Very enjoyable read and Very well written! I felt like I was on the trip with you (which is odd, since I don't want to be a third wheel, especially on an Anniversary trip ).

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife, but you should be careful while doing performance driving with your pregnant wife, you don't want that baby to pop out while cruising through a hairpin curve!

It does sound like you had fun though and the scenery was Beautiful!

Once again, Thanks for sharing!
Thanks; glad you enjoyed it! Northern CA does have its share of nice views, for sure.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport

One of the best estoril blue f30 pics I have ever seen! Awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Try 'the rivers end' in jenner next time for lodging and meals. The lodging is individual cabins overlooking the russian river where it meets the ocean. Rustic and no tv or phone reception but romantic and nice getaway from the rat race. Plus the restaurant is better than a hotel as it is the main focus with the cabins more a side thing for the restaurant. I am over in petaluma and we do that when we need to escape the kids. My stress relief drive is petaluma out to bodega and then jenner and then follow the russian river and cut to sebastapol and backroads back to petaluma. The coast drive from stinson to bodega is also fantastic.

P.s. My wife is also 6 months pregnant and our anniversary was this week as well
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 AM
Brakes?!?!?!

Musings on a 335 M-Sport combined with Northern California TR

Great suggestion, thanks! I'd previously never been that far north, so I was wingin' it. And congrats to you too, sir!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM
puppet master

I really need to make a trip up there sometime. Unfortunately, whenever we are able to get away for an extended period, we usually use that time to drive up to Washington to stay with family up there. I've suggested detouring, (we go straight up the 5 through the Central Valley), but the wife doesn't like the idea of spending 1 less day than she has to with the grandchildren. (We will actually drive straight through to get there, and straight home so we don't have to leave too early!) The Bimmer will be left behind this year since we are hauling my wifes' 100 year old hope chest that will be going to our grand-daughter, and this year our faithful chocolate Lab gets to go with us, so the minivan gets the nod. It's cheaper to drive than fly, and we have a car to sight-see/shop/whatever, but we will lose 2 days by driving.
I suppose I'm just going to have to schedule a nice 4 day weekend if I ever expect to see this area from the seat of the Bimmer!
How is the weather up there in October/November? Fog?