Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Wear Pattern in left and right tires

I just saw on dealer's inspection note that left tires (both front and back) have 6/32 and right (both front and back) have 5/32....
no clue what does it tell... how come right side is wearing faster than left side.....enlighten me on this? thanks
Ads by Google
Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Im guessing that you havent heard about tire rotation, if not, tires wears abnormally.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
BMW seems to recommend against rotation, but most of the X3's in the US come with asymmetrical tires (you can tell because tires are marked inside and outside on side walls), this means they are not directional, so in my book I am rotating, they can be moved front to back and left to right. If you have the same size on all 4 corners, you could do the typical cross over from front to back and move the backs straight to the front.

On my X5, the fronts wore bad and cupped and got really noisy from not rotating them - tire manufacturer recommended rotating the fronts from side to side (as my rears were different sizes) to even out the wear and cupping and stop from getting the noise with the new set. Unfortunately, BMW's run a lot of camber, so they tend to wear the insides of the tires more than the outsides and there is nothing that you can do about that!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Im guessing that you havent heard about tire rotation, if not, tires wears abnormally.
I am aware of rotation but was wondering if this weird issue is due to it - you realize that one side of SUV are wearing out faster than the other side. I could understand it front set or rear set were wearing out differently not this side issue.
You still think this is rotation problem. Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
I am aware of rotation but was wondering if this weird issue is due to it - you realize that one side of SUV are wearing out faster than the other side. I could understand it front set or rear set were wearing out differently not this side issue.
You still think this is rotation problem. Thanks
Im kinda assuming that you have the 19inch wheels,

My car came stock with 19 Good Year LS2 all seasons all around, not staggered. Its been a year and a month since i took the replacement new car delivery.
Which i recently measured them with the needle, it read 9/32 all tires. Im not a boy racer nor a maniac on the road. From where i commute, i always stay in the middle lane setting cruise crtl to the speed limit, plus i go through hills daily.

If you think about it, not sure but we always tend to turn to steer right, especially in city driving
Or you might need a Alignment
Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert

Last edited by WHITEX; 06-17-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Before I worried too much, I would get a tire gauge for 5 bucks and measure myself, jut by measuring a a slightly different part of the tire, closer to the edge than the middle will make a 1/32" difference - measure across the tire at 3 different places on each side and see how they compare - guessing they just do it fast and they are actually the same. (or your run it in weekend nascar races and get more wear on the right side from turning left all day!)
Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Before I worried too much, I would get a tire gauge for 5 bucks and measure myself, jut by measuring a a slightly different part of the tire, closer to the edge than the middle will make a 1/32" difference - measure across the tire at 3 different places on each side and see how they compare - guessing they just do it fast and they are actually the same. (or your run it in weekend nascar races and get more wear on the right side from turning left all day!)
A reason to go nascar race then

The car has 18 inch wheels and I am not sure if the tires were replaced. The car has 27k on it and if not replaced it has about half the tires life left. Probably will reach 45k - I will be happy though it might have performance issue towards the 2-3/32nd tread. I had another mechanic check but he only used his bare fingers and told that I had about half tires tread left.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 PM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
My right sides (any car I own) always wear faster. We all tend to take left turns faster because we can!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
My right sides (any car I own) always wear faster. We all tend to take left turns faster because we can!
Interesting but this has not happened on any of my non-BMW car !!!