Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 128i convertible
128 wheel, tire, pad replacement

Hi all,

If you like to speed read like I do, I'll get right to the point of this post -- and you can read the details to follow if you like.

Vehicle: '13 128i convertible, M-package

Situation: 17 inch to 18 inch wheel and tire upgrade / swap / replacement, stock brake pad replacement with performance pads

Total cost of everything involved, including parts and labor: 2080.00 USD

Visual Result:
Click image for larger version

Name:	17 to 18.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	382460

Disclaimer--all of the following points are purely subjective and based purely on my own experience:

--The new 17" M-package 10-spoke wheels are even uglier in person than they looked in the picture when I built the car to order

--The 10-spoke wheels were a bitch to keep clean, and hard to clean when necessary (which seemed like every other day)

--I don't care for any of the newest 18" rim options from BMW that are available for the 1, so I found a really cool member of this forum and bought a set of used OEM 18" 5-spoke rims from him -- perfect fit and no issues

--Run-flat tires suck. I'm glad I did extensive research since I was forced to buy new tires as well because of rim size change -- so I got a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport (non run-flats) and the tire repair/pump kit from Tire Rack -- also a perfect fit and no issues

--I had the stock brake pads replaced with Cool Carbon sport brake pads from BavAuto -- so far, I'm also very pleased w/ this decision and from what I can tell, there is minimal dust as BavAuto and the buyer reviews claimed.

Bottom line: the combination of upgrading to 18s and ditching the run-flat tires was the best thing I could have done without even knowing just how drastic the improvement would be.

Details:
I just took delivery of a '13 128i convertible w/ M-package, which comes standard with a 10-spoke 17" M-label wheel and run-flat tires. I was originally going to opt for an 18" rim upgrade as part of the specs when I placed the order for the car, but since none of the newest available 18s really appealed to me, I opted out of that and waited for the car to arrive so that I could see the 10-spoke 17s in person. Since they were uglier in person than as shown in the picture when I built and ordered the car, I began to look into replacement details. I also didn't want to shell out 1600+ for rims knowing that I could probably find a decent used replacement set from a forum like this one, and also get to pick the exact tires I wanted.

So I found a set of BMW Style 264 wheels, staggered setup -- 18x7.5" ET49 in the front, 18x8.5" ET52 in the rear -- 500.00 USD w/ shipping included for all 4.

Once I decided on the rims, I ordered 215/40ZR18 and 245/35ZR18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires from Tire Rack: 1060.15 w/ shipping.

My landlord and fellow car enthusiast recommended that I upgrade to a ceramic brake pad set -- so I did some research and while the wheels were going to be removed anyway for replacement, I settled on the Cool Carbon Sport pad set from BavAuto and got a set of replacement brake pad sensor wires in the event that the shop needed them: 302.33 w/ tax and shipping.

Delta World Tire was recommended by Tire Rack to do the installation -- I've also had positive past experiences with my nearest Delta World, so I set up the appointment -- total for mount/balance/installation of the rims and tires and to replace the pads on all 4 wheels: 220.00.

As I stated above, I cannot even begin to describe how thrilled I am that I ditched the run-flats. I thought the ride experience would be rougher by increasing from 17 to 18 and to the lower-profile tire, however, it is quite the opposite. In fact, everything improved significantly -- handling, stability, connection w/ the road. I can't believe that BMW is ruining their owners' driving experience and limiting the capability of the performance and drive experience that we love that is unique to BMW w/ having run-flats standard on their vehicles.

And while it might be placebo effect, I have noticed an improvement in "bite" with the Cool Carbon pads. Objective observation: there is significantly less dust settling on the rims. I hypothesize that this is also due to the fact that the 5-spoke rim is more open to air flow for the dust to escape, and also has less surface area to hold dust than the 10-spoke rim. I've had similar multi-spoke and 5-spoke setups on previous cars I've owned, all with standard brake pads, and I feel like the 5-spokes always stayed cleaner, and cleaning was much quicker/easier with the 5-spokes. Anyone who can reject this hypothesis and offer a different explanation -- please do -- I am always looking to learn something.

I hope this post helps to encourage and inform any of you who may be considering the same or similar situation in the future. --JLR

Last edited by jlr4702; 06-18-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
On my Mercedes, I installed Akebono pads, and they work well with no dust. However, the OEM pads are softer and have a bit more bite. BTW, I have a nearly new set of pads for an SLK if anyone is interested.

Akebono makes pads for nearly all BMWs except the one, but I expect this to change soon. Incidentally, I have found Amazon a good source of parts for the Benz - maybe the Bimmer?

The odd couple!