Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Shifter Bushing Help

I'm trying to follow the Pelican DIY on replacing the shifter bushings. They did a great job of explaining how the clip at the front of the shifter arm works but there is no way on God's green earth that one can pry up that clip using a screw driver in the manner they suggest. I understand perfectly how that clip is supposed to articulate, but I've been at it for 3 hours and no luck.

There is about 1.25" above that clip. I can take the smallest screw driver I have and get it under the clip but there is no room above to lift it in order to pry the clip.

I'm trying to do this with the exhaust and driveshaft still in place, which they say you can do. I cut and tore as much of the insulation out as I could because it was in the way and was loose anyway.

I was able to figure out the rear shifter arm bushing, which they did not do a good job of explaining how to remove. I will post up some better pics of how to do that later.

In the mean time, can someone explain how to lift that front clip with the transmission and driveshaft still in place? I'd sure appreciate it.
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 PM

I designed a tool that will work for easily flipping this flippin' clip, but I'm not sure I can actually make it. Actually, I might be able to ruin a small triangle file for the purpose. I have a forge and I can heat the end of the file and bend it around into a U shape then flatten the tip.

Forgive my crude modeling skills. This is just something to get the general idea. So, here's the clip.

And this would be something like a reversed screwdriver so this blade would slide under the clip from the left side of the trans. The long bar would hang down along side and you'd just lift it up which would rotate the blade upward to lift the clip.

Last edited by jimgood; 06-16-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Come at ///M

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
Just wedge a scewdriver under the clip and pry it out. Break it. Then replace with a new one.

Its called the bitch clip for a reason.

Here is a helpful video from my friend Cal:
Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 AM

That makes sense. I was trying that but couldn't get the screwdriver under the side of the clip. I'll grind a screwdriver down and try again this evening.

Thanks!

Seems like I always try to engineer a $25 solution to a $0.25 problem. It's a disease.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 PM

FINALLY!! The bitch clip is my bitch!

This damn picture from the Pelican DIY is what really threw me off. With the transmission in the car, this is unpossible:

I was too damn tired to take pictures of what I did, but basically I ground a chisel point on an old screw driver and gouged at the side of that clip until it was lifted up enough to get ahold of it with a really big flathead screwdriver (about 18" long). With the big one, I could then get some leverage to pry the clip using a bump on the transmission just below the clip as a fulcrum. Below I've used one of Pelican's pics to crudely show the placement of the big screw driver.

It still took a lot of grunting and cursing to get that clip to move.

I got everything replaced except for the coupler that's attached to the transmission. The shifter feels better, though not as precise as I'd hoped. Really, the only bushing that was worn out was the one around the shifter ball.

Their description of how to replace that bushing could use some help. Again, I've used some of Pelican's pics to hopefully make it clearer.

Ok. That's all the energy I got for THAT little task. I think it took me 7 or 8 hours. I must really suck as a mechanic.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Come at ///M

Glad you were successful.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM

I'm going to call it "mostly successful".

There were a couple of things I did half-assed.

First, the clips that came with the Pelican order were different than the original clips. I could tell that they were going to be a bitch to get off if I need to remove them. I just reused the old ones.

Second, the yellow washers were a couple thousandths too thick and the holes are too big. They fit very sloppy and I could not get the clips back in place with both washers on. The problem was that the forked tips of the clip were getting pushed down into the hole in the washer and getting stuck. I had to leave off the washer on the clip side. I only plan to leave it this way until next weekend so, hopefully, the clip will not damage the bushings.

My plan is to pull off this rod again and get some measurements then either find washers that will fit properly or find suitable raw material and make my own.

Below is the image from Pelican. My original clips are like the ones show here which are easy to deal with and plenty secure. The clips they sell have a bar that slides over the top of the post and locks into the slot on the other side. Overly secure for the application and the tight confines.

This is the clip they sell now:

Last edited by jimgood; 06-19-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Come at ///M

I wouldnt bother. Get a DSSR from AKG if you really want to remove shifter slop.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328 ic
Tool I used from Harbor Freight

For those that see this in the future, this toll worked on the "bitch clip" for me. Get it at Harbor Freight for under $3

HTH

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12764.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	382938  
Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
Guys Im not sure why this is a problem if you asked your BMw tech .He'd tell you you use a large hook pick ,similar to the tool shown every good tech has several different sizes in their box.Id never seen the Pelican thing its deceiving and I agree only works with the trans out.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Bimmer App
Old 06-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
Guys Im not sure why this is a problem if you asked your BMw tech .He'd tell you you use a large hook pick ,similar to the tool shown every good tech has several different sizes in their box.Id never seen the Pelican thing its deceiving and I agree only works with the trans out.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Bimmer App
You're not sure why it's a problem?

It's a problem because most people only have basic hand tools. When you start a job on a car and a DIY doesn't list a hooked @#$%ing tool like the one pictured above as required in order to save yourself 3 hours of trial and error, it's a problem.

And I AM my BMW tech. I asked me and me didn't have a @#$%ing hooked tool!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: what ever starts
I had the same issue. I found a small screw driver 3 to 4 inches long was the way to get it. It took much more force going at it from the front because you can't get leverage. I ran out of swear words way before trying all of the limited options I had.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
I had the same issue. I found a small screw driver 3 to 4 inches long was the way to get it. It took much more force going at it from the front because you can't get leverage. I ran out of swear words way before trying all of the limited options I had.
I tried that too, but the screwdriver hit the top of the tunnel before it even moved the clip.

Even getting at it from the side was problematic because the clip was so tight against the side of the tranny that I couldn't get even a thin flathead under it. I had to grind a flat down to a chisel point and use a hammer to drive it under the clip. Once the edge of the clip was bent outward enough, I could use a long screwdriver to pry it up.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: what ever starts
You have to go at it from the top of the tranny. It can be done but very hard to do. I kept thinking that i was going at it wrong due to the difficulty I was having getting at it. I didn't think of it at the time but pulling the shifter boot and getting it from inside the car might have been easier. i will take a look today as I have one on my lift and I will see if I can get some good shots for future reference.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
It's easier if you get a stubby (but stout) flat head screwdriver and instead of prying, rotate the screwdriver in order to flip it up

Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
It's easier if you get a stubby (but stout) flat head screwdriver and instead of prying, rotate the screwdriver in order to flip it up
I know what you mean and I was unable to do that. I either lacked the finger strength or room to get enough of a grip to twist.