Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebersole View Post
Despite numerous calls to BMW assist, the Internet function still does not work! All the the other functions are slowly coming online, but not the internet. I also can't figure out the "Office" feature. Am I supposed to be able to see my emails, etc on this screen?
Did you buy it? The Internet browser is a pay service only.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 xDrive 35i
My understanding is that it is included for 3 years when you purchase the technology package
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfan View Post
As stated above internet is an extra option that is not included with the tech package, so unless you spent the extra $250 don't expect this to work. I have an iphone 4S too and I have had the car read me text messages but haven't tried emails. At one point email was only on blackberry devices but not sure if that's still the same now.

Oh and the text messages only appear in the car if they were received while you are in the car. It doesn't pull up old messages on the phone.
How did you get the car to read SMS messages with the iPhone 4s? I always receive texts while in the car, but none of them show up on iDrive. Do I need to be in a special screen for that to work? Do I need to be USB plugged in with my phone or just bluetooth connected?

BTW I'm updated to the latest iOS version on my iPhone 4s

Last edited by sno90border; 06-19-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebersole View Post
My understanding is that it is included for 3 years when you purchase the technology package
Nope, I don't think that's right. BMW Online is included, but I don't think Internet is. I'd love to be proved wrong though....
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno90border View Post
Do I need to be USB plugged in with my phone or just bluetooth connected?
Go back one page and read my post on what comes from where. USB has nothing to do with messaging.

I just went to www.bmw.com/bluetooth and it says that iphone 4s doesn't do SMS's with idrive. I'm an android guy so I can't speak to how iphones work with our vehicle.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
My iPhone 4S passes SMS messages to my X3 when it is Bluetooth connected. Only new messages appear, not prior messages, read or unread. My iPhone has the latest iOS installed. My X3 has the latest end-user-installable updates from BMW installed.

For the BMW updates, got to www.bmw.com/update Have the last 7 digits of your VIN available. Download the update to a USB drive, and apply the update using the USB port in the center console. (See Software Update in the CD/Multimedia section of your Owner's Manual for details on how to determine your present software levels, and how to apply any available update(s).)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno90border View Post
How did you get the car to read SMS messages with the iPhone 4s? I always receive texts while in the car, but none of them show up on iDrive. Do I need to be in a special screen for that to work? Do I need to be USB plugged in with my phone or just bluetooth connected?

BTW I'm updated to the latest iOS version on my iPhone 4s
When you have made the link to the car then on your iphone go under the settings then Bluetooth then the BMW device and make sure Show Notifications is set to ON.

It will only work over Bluetooth, USB being plugged in doesn't hurt but Bluetooth has to be on.
2014 X3 28i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic - Black 'Nevada' Leather - Brushed Aluminum - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance with Top View - Lighting - Premium - Technology - Satin Aluminum Roof rails - Rear manual side window shades
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
drewsky - super excellent job of laying this all out very clearly. It matches what I have learned as well.

One more thing. When you received your X3 you should have received a BMW Assist contract that spells out exactly what services you are entitled to based on your purchase. Note: The services included with the vehicle purchase changed for the the 2014 model year.

Now the description of the services on the contract can be a bit confusing. It does not line up with the description of services on the website. I called BMW Assist and walked through it with them.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Groan. So finally My CA explains to me after talking to support folks that when you select ConnectedDrive -Service Status- Available Services you will see a list in blue of everything you should be able to do. None of those are in white so are not meant to be selected. It's just a list. No one explained that to me in my calls to BMW Assist. Is this what you see, all in blue?
Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsan View Post
Groan. So finally My CA explains to me after talking to support folks that when you select ConnectedDrive -Service Status- Available Services you will see a list in blue of everything you should be able to do. None of those are in white so are not meant to be selected. It's just a list. No one explained that to me in my calls to BMW Assist. Is this what you see, all in blue?
Yes.

It is more of a way of forcing an update from bmw-assist than anything.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
Yes.

It is more of a way of forcing an update from bmw-assist than anything.
Thanks Drewsky.