Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 335IS
Strange "Engine oil level at minimum" warning at 2700 miles!

Hello,

I got twice today this quite scary warning "Engine oil level at minimum!" / "Please add one quart of engine oil".

The car is about 2700 miles and went thru the normal break-in service at 1250 miles.

I cannot believe it would need engine oil after only 1500 miles.

Of course I will stop by the dealer tomorrow ;-) but I am interested to know what can be wrong here.

Thx,
Ads by Google
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Tampa
Happens sometimes... nothing to worry about... just get some approved oil from your local automotive store or drop by the dealer for a top off....
2013 BMW M5 (Sold)
2011 BMW X5 5.0 M Sport (Sold)
2011 BMW 335I Convertible (Sold)
2011 BMW 750Li M Sport (Sold)
2012 BMW Z4 35is (Sold)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 335IS
Hmmm, I think there is something quite fishy.

I went to the dealership this morning and got / put for free a quart of engine oil. BTW, the dealer wanted first to put some Castrol 10W60 and I had to insist quite heavily that the User Manual was talking about 0W30 or 0W40 or eventually 5W30 or 5W40. Finally they checked more carefully and gave me a quart of 5W30.

After that I verified in the car that the Engine Oil Level status was saying "max" (the green color bar was solid on the "max" indicator).

This evening, after doing about 40 miles in the day for commuting, I checked again and now the car says that I am only at about 75% of the max value.

I also double checked and I dont see any leak in my garage.

How can this be possible to loose 25% of the level max in 40 miles ???

Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Thx,
Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i
I'm sure members can provide considerable more insight than me, but I had a similar problem in my previous car (Audi). Considering how new your car is I wonder if its just a bad gasket or seal (given that you're not seeing any oil its unlikely the plug or filter attachment, and given the age it surely can't be bad piston rings!)? In any event, I'd definitely go back to the dealer and have them investigate (it's probably a simple fix).

Old 05-17-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfan View Post
Hmmm, I think there is something quite fishy.

I went to the dealership this morning and got / put for free a quart of engine oil. BTW, the dealer wanted first to put some Castrol 10W60 and I had to insist quite heavily that the User Manual was talking about 0W30 or 0W40 or eventually 5W30 or 5W40. Finally they checked more carefully and gave me a quart of 5W30.

After that I verified in the car that the Engine Oil Level status was saying "max" (the green color bar was solid on the "max" indicator).

This evening, after doing about 40 miles in the day for commuting, I checked again and now the car says that I am only at about 75% of the max value.

I also double checked and I dont see any leak in my garage.

How can this be possible to loose 25% of the level max in 40 miles ???

Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Thx,

Were you, by any chance, on an incline when that message came up? After I have my car sitting on an incline for a little while idling I get that message. I assume its because the oil isn't level and the sensor is on the low side of the tilted oil. (note I dont drive an M5, I have an E60 535i but assume a similar principal may apply)

2014 M4 (on order - June production)
2008 535i M-Sport (for sale)

Last edited by SoN][c; 05-17-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
My car takes a quart of oil about every 1200miles. Not a drop on the ground.

F10 M5 Alpine/Sakhir
Old 06-12-2013, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaynemd View Post
My car takes a quart of oil about every 1200miles. Not a drop on the ground.
Well if mine did it would be going back and quick, thats excessive IMO.
All my BMW cars from new have used very very little Oil at all, never carried Oil in a car.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
NEVER mix oil types. It is stunning that a dealership would offer a choice in top off oils. ONLY top off with the same oil that was used to fill it at the last oil change.

The BMW manual does allow other top off oils, but this is not advised by experts.

The oil stabilizer packages used in different oils can by incompatible...if you do 'mix', then plan on an oil change relatively soon.

Dont expect BMW dealers to know this- what they do know is thta they only really need to worry about gettting to 50k miles....

A

PS M cars use more oil. "Action Limit" for BMW is approx 1Liter per 1000km...or 1 qt per 600 miles, as I recall.