Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 96 BMW 318ti -E36Compact
96 Euro 318ti not starting

I have searched tons of forums in hope to find one that matched, but couldn't find anything that matched my symptoms specifically.

Specs: 1996 (June) 318ti/e36, Euro, RHD,

Background:

Car has had numerous owners, had it by the body shop last yr for a spray job and by time it was over, car wold not start. Original ignition would not turn so previous owners had installed a secondary ignition which worked but stopped last yr. This year, after not being able to figure out the problem i purchased a new ignition switch, tumbler and illuminated key (just in case the old key was the problem)

ISSUE:
Everything in the car works, windows, AC etc. car goes to on position with no problem.
HOWEVER, when I turn the key to the start/turnover position there is one 'click' sound and the car loses all power instantly.

The car in this state is now dead to the world: No lights, windows, etc. I disconnect the battery for about five to 10 seconds and then reconnect the battery POWER, i try to start gain DEAD.

I have no BMW dealer in my area (i;m in the Caribbean) and no mechanic here seems to be able to find out the problem.

OH i also cannot find a diagnostic port inside the vehicle, just the round one under the hood and the one person here with a connector, his diagnostic machine does not work on Euro cars.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 03-17-2013, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
All connections at the battery are clean and TIGHT? The battery is properly grounded, and connections at the stater are secure as well? (If any connections are even slightly loose or dirty they can cause problems). It sounds like insufficient cranking amps from the battery to the starter, or a jammed starter. It just seems strange that you lose power after attempting to crank the motor. Has the battery been tested yet?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM

I just spoke with my electrician, he thinks that the problem may be my computer not sending the signal to the relay. Something about he thinks my battery connections were hooked up wrong by someone previously and somebody fried part of my computer, because all the wires he checked are working.

I'm taking my battery to test tomorrow when i borrow my mom's car.

---------------------------------
UPDATE

Before i went and paid to test the battery i tried one more thing at the advice of another user on here I gave the starter a few taps with a hammer...I also tightened the battery connections (until i almost couldn't get them back off) just to be safe. Now she cranks but doesn't start/turn over, so i think my problem may be the starter. I will double check it again tomorrow and see what happens. I didn't want to flood the engine by continuously trying to start the car tonight. I will keep the thread updated until i find the exact problem and its resolved...just in case someone comes along with the same issue.

Last edited by Cheekz1084; 03-19-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Sounds then like your starter is bad, HOWEVER if it cranks but does not fire, then you have another problem in addition to the starter. (The starters only job is to crank the motor, not fire it).Unfortunately there are quite a few possible faults that can cause a crank but no start condition. Most likely you're lacking fuel or spark. Can you hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition key to the run position?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
This is in the wrong forum.

Post this in the regular E36 forum.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 06-22-2013, 05:37 AM

I found the issue. The spark plug wires were plugged in wrong. I don't know if it was the issue before I purchased a new ignition tumbler, but it was the issue after. I don't know who the culprit was but my car is finally drivable.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-29-2013, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 318ti compact
cheeks what was the firing order of the plugs as i have the same problem
also how did you get your pump to prime ?

Last edited by sidewayslooney; 12-29-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-29-2013, 06:36 PM

My understanding is that the firing will be whatever order it is-3421,2341..I don't know. But once it's plugged in 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 and 4-4 you should be good. That's how mine is currently and it runs, albeit I have a misfire that I can't figure out the culprit.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app