Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:10 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
wheel/tire Jack

I will get a spare tire when my X arrives. Off hand does anyone know what kind of jack works best with the F25. I looked at a scissors jack that lifts up to 15".
And...Does the X3 owners manual show the jacking points? Thanks.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
You'll want a jack point insert too.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
You'll want a jack point insert too.
Thanks 02. Is that an option or does it come with certain jacks?
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 AM

You can buy jack point inserts from http://www.reverselogic.us/

You might want to add a wheel hanger or two to your order too. They're a good stand-in for that third hand that none of us have.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Thanks....this is good stuff. I have a Mini also so this will serve both.
I will get a set up for each.

Last edited by WHITEX; 06-23-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
wheel/tire Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
You can buy jack point inserts from http://www.reverselogic.us/

You might want to add a wheel hanger or two to your order too. They're a good stand-in for that third hand that none of us have.
Thanks for the info! I too plan on getting those items.

Does anyone have a good jack they can recommend? Also ramps too

Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-24-2013, 02:23 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Thanks for the info! I too plan on getting those items.

Does anyone have a good jack they can recommend? Also ramps too

Thanks

I'm am considering a Torin scissors or Floor Jack.
I'll follow up. Just be sure the jack it is low enough to fit under(should not be a problem) and it lifts high enough to get the wheel off the ground. Aside from the jack don't forgot to buy a quality lug wrench. I like the Gorilla extendable.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEX View Post
I will get a spare tire when my X arrives. Off hand does anyone know what kind of jack works best with the F25. I looked at a scissors jack that lifts up to 15".
is this a jack to carry with you in the car? Or one to use in the garage?

if the former, then space is at a premium and it will only be used in emergencies...choose something easy to use that is compact. Either scissors or bottle jack, I think

if the latter, then you are probably wanting maximum leverage, space is not so much of an issue. I'd choose a good quality floor jack.

I've used bottle, scissors and floor jacks on the X3 E83 with good results in my garage.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
is this a jack to carry with you in the car? Or one to use in the garage?

if the former, then space is at a premium and it will only be used in emergencies...choose something easy to use that is compact. Either scissors or bottle jack, I think

if the latter, then you are probably wanting maximum leverage, space is not so much of an issue. I'd choose a good quality floor jack.

I've used bottle, scissors and floor jacks on the X3 E83 with good results in my garage.
I just might get a floor and scissor jack. I'm uncomfortable with bottle jacks. I have a storage unit where the spare will be kept so I'll leave the jacks there.
What kind(brand)jacks do you have. Do you use jacks pads?
Thanks, Frank
Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
WHITEX,

I use a SnapOn floor jack in the garage. It's heavy but very sturdy and reliable. I use the center jacking points at the front and rear of the car. Photos of these have been posted on this site. The side "jack points" are used for your jack stands and the inserts are necessary to avoid damage to the plastic? fittings. Unless you have a four point lift, these are not really useful as jack points since, if used in this fashion, you have no place to put your jack stands. Unless you have a death wish, it is NOT a good idea to work under the car without jack stands and placing jack stands at other locations will probably result in damage.

I also have a set of Race Ramps which are great for oil changes. They are not cheap but are very lightweight and easy to store. I bought mine on Amazon. I got one of the smaller sets to lift the front of the car a few inches and make locating the floor jack at the front jack point easier. I now wish that I'd purchased some of the higher ramps instead since this would eliminate the need for jacking when changing the oil. I'll probably break down one of these days and do just that. On the other hand, if you need to lift the whole car to rotate tires (a potentially controversial topic) or whatever, you'll still need all of the jacking equipment.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Jeggs has a lightweight aluminum. I'm looking into it.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

comments on this??
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F25-KIT.html
Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Spare is hold for the moment but I did get the tire/wheel protection plan.
I'm looking into a no so full size spare.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
I use AC Hydraulics high lift long reach jack in my garage, the model 13HLQ. If you also plan to use the jack on sports cars with little ground clearance, this jack only needs a few inches to go under. Just confirm the model you look at matches the ton rating you need.

http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/en/products/hydraulic-jacks/
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
... just a quick note about the above wheel hanger.

They have a knurled handle which makes screwing 'em in place easier but this knurled surface can damage the rim surface if you're not careful (don't ask how I know).
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 335
This is what the jack pad looks like installed in the car.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:25 PM

wheel/tire Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEX View Post
So what jack did u get? Update?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 PM

wheel/tire Jack

Stupid question Are the reverse logic jack pad for a set of 4 for the price of $35 or just one? How would a shop lift up your car if they themselves don't have these pads without damaging your ride?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM

IIRC, that's $35 for one.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:09 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
So what jack did u get? Update?

I did not buy one just for now. I might get a quality scissor jack. Buying the wheel/protection plan slowed me up. I might buy the spare tire kit I posted earlier.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
wheel/tire Jack

FWIW. I did get a nail on nice FL roads. Not sure how at 850 miles. $410 bucks. Couple more and would wish I bought insurance. Did not go flat. Thought was valve. Dropped pressure every few days.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
BMWX3

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstall View Post
This is what the jack pad looks like installed in the car.

I've never worked with jack pads. Do you install this temporarily when jacking the car, just sliding the jack pad into the car's jack point pockets and then removing it when you lower the car? Or do you install these and leave them in indefinitely?

Also, are the jack point pockets only near the 4 wheels, or is there a similar jack point pocket near the center front/rear where you would use a floor jack to raise the front or rear of the car? (or is the center front/rear jack points already elevated without need for jack pad inserts?)

I've always used a scissor jack when changing out my snow tires on my previous cars. I was considering buying a floor jack with jack stands...but thought that might overkill. Then again, I never really liked the stability of supporting the entire weight of the car on a scissor jack which, if the car shifted, would bring the entire wheel-less corner of the car down to the pavement. Am I just being overly cautious in my old age?

When using a scissor jack to change each individual tire, do you guys also put wood blocks under the side of the car (just in case)--and if so, where beneath the car would you place the blocks? I'm afraid of completely tearing up the external sheet metal if the weight of the car shifted to the wood (then again, maybe that's the lesser of two evils, compared to the wheel assembly dropping 12 inches to the pavement).

Thoughts?

Last edited by RRZ; 07-22-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 335
The jack pad on my 335 fit into a plastic holder mounted on the frame, you can see it above. There are rubber buttons than form a friction fit to hold it in.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

For now I just ordered a jack pad & wheel hanger from reverselogics. The jack pad will also work on my 2010 Mini R57.
Fred from http://www.reverselogic.us is great person to deal with.

Last edited by WHITEX; 07-23-2013 at 06:52 PM.