Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 320Ci E46 Convertible
Bluish smoke

I have read numerous posts regarding blue smoke out of the exhaust. My problem doesn't seem to be covered from what I have read. Here is my problem. I have a 2001 E46 320Ci Convertible. It has approximately 103,400 miles on the clock. When the car is coasting down hill, and I have to keep applying the brakes to keep my distance from the vehicle in front, when I accelerate at the bottom of the hill I get quite large clouds of smoke out of the exhaust. Now, if I were to go down the same hill and not apply my brakes, then usually there is no smoke! There is no smoke on acceleration on flat or uphill roads, nor after waiting at lights or in traffic when accelerating away. Nothing noted at start up in the morning either. I have changed my VANOS seals, and had the CCV Valve replaced. There is no loss of coolant. I would say that the blue smoke has actually got worse after having the CCV Valve replaced. As I said, this problem only seems to appear when coasting downhill applying brakes. Has got me baffled. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2013, 11:24 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
You either have tons of oil leaking into a cylinder or the CCV was installed incorrectly. Leaking oil into a cylinder can be bad valve cover gasket or bad grommet on one of the screws. ( I know because it's happened to me ).
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM

Thanks for that very quick reply MalibuMafiaV. I did replace the valve cover gasket and all the grommets whilst replacing the VANOS seals. I take it the only way to check that is to remove everything and have a good look!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strim View Post
Thanks for that very quick reply MalibuMafiaV. I did replace the valve cover gasket and all the grommets whilst replacing the VANOS seals. I take it the only way to check that is to remove everything and have a good look!
Yeah I can almost guarantee you missed a grommet on a screw or it's not sitting properly against the valve cover. I would just remove the cover on top and take a look to see if you see any oil dripping anywhere from the outside first without taking the entire valve cover off.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 PM

I was pretty damn sure I replaced all the grommets. I will take a close look at the outside and go from there. I hope it's not the CCV Valve, although I have had to take the car back to the garage more than once for them to rectify their mistakes! Will post when I know more. Thanks for your info.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM
L4P

Quote:
I was pretty damn sure I replaced all the grommets. I will take a close look at the outside and go from there. I hope it's not the CCV Valve, although I have had to take the car back to the garage more than once for them to rectify their mistakes! Will post when I know more. Thanks for your info.
Np. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:29 PM

An update. Checked for oil leaks on the outside. None present. Started to remove the coils, and noticed a bit of oil on #4 coil. I thought the gasket wasn't seated properly, so off came the cover. I bought a new gasket set from the local BMW dealer, and when I checked the new inner gasket with the one I had just removed. The depth of the two differed in that the new set was deeper, so I thought perhaps the set I had removed hadn't sealed properly and hence the oil. I replaced the gaskets and set off for a drive. Same problem! I have been to a couple of garages to discuss the problem, and they think it's either a piston seal problem, or valve seals, Either way it's getting expensive. I have booked the car in next Friday for a pressure check of the pistons etc.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM
L4P

Quote:
An update. Checked for oil leaks on the outside. None present. Started to remove the coils, and noticed a bit of oil on #4 coil. I thought the gasket wasn't seated properly, so off came the cover. I bought a new gasket set from the local BMW dealer, and when I checked the new inner gasket with the one I had just removed. The depth of the two differed in that the new set was deeper, so I thought perhaps the set I had removed hadn't sealed properly and hence the oil. I replaced the gaskets and set off for a drive. Same problem! I have been to a couple of garages to discuss the problem, and they think it's either a piston seal problem, or valve seals, Either way it's getting expensive. I have booked the car in next Friday for a pressure check of the pistons etc.
Hummm. How many miles are on the car?. Has it overheated ever? is it manual or auto?.

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 06-28-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
I've read recently that getting smoke on/after decel is either valve stem seals or piston rings..... thinking it's the stem seals. Search on that. Do you also get a puff on cold start?

Failing CCV also introduces oil into the combustion chamber so it could also be that.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 AM

Car is an automatic, and done about 105K miles. Never overheated, as far as I know. Had the CCV Valve replaced about 2 months ago because of the smoke. It seems worse now, but having spoken to the garage guys, this is probably due to the extra vacuum suction that the new CCV Valve has created. There was a split on one of the hoses that was replaced which didn't help matters much either. There is no smoke on start up, which tends to lead me to valve stem seals rather than a piston ring problem. Hopefully will become clearer after the pistons have been pressure checked.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Had the engine pressure checked. Was around 200 (psi I presume). The garage put some solvent/cleaning fluid in the engine oil, ran the engine for around 20 minutes or so, changed the engine oil then carried out a pressure check again. The pressure was raised to around 225 (psi). Obviously had cleaned some deposits and crud from the engine. Have been out in the car again, hoping that this may have cured the problem.....No change really, though it may not be quite so smoky. Looks like I'm going to need to have the valve stem seals replaced. I don't think the piston seals are faulty as the pressure seemed good, and there is no smoke on start-up. Time to get some quotes.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 e46 sedan S/P
blue smoke after coasting downhill

I have the same problem. i live on a mountain and when i get to the bottom then take off from the stop, puff of blue smoke. Car runs perfect. Burns a good amount of oil. 344K miles new CCV, VCG, etc.
Comments?
Thanks,