Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Just bought '14 X3 xdrive35...oil change?

So I pick up the new X3 today- it's our 3rd BMW ('01 330Ci and '06 325i), so I figured everything would be just like we're used to. I understand the factory warranty/maintenance, and I choose not to extend it because I can't stand the service departments at either local dealerships, and I have a FANTASTIC indy that only handles BMW and Mercs, so I just take everything to him after the warranty expires...it's easier, and although it's not covered, it's still less of a hassle, stress, and frustrations so it's worth it to take it to him instead of getting the extended warranty/maintenance.

When I declined the extended warranty/maintenance, the "finance" guy strongly urged me to reconsider because he mentioned that the new cars HAVE to have their oil changes and other maintenance done at BMW due to the need to link up w/ BMW NA computers...is this true? I am old school, and love changing my own oil- find it relaxing, actually. Is BMW now forcing owners to use their dealerships' service centers for standard maintenance and repairs, or is this guy off and just trying to scare me into the extended coverage?
2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i

Last edited by jpfrog80; 06-24-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Scare tactics used by a finance manager? I have never heard of such a thing
If you change the oil yourself, you might not have the equipment to reset the maintenance reminder, your indy shop should be able to do it. The only thing your indy shop might not be able to do is hook up your car to the BMW's computer to check for software updates. There is really non need to buy either one of those items now, you have 4 years or 50000 miles to decide.

Last edited by The X Men; 06-24-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
The finance office at that dealer has more manure than a Ft Worth feedlot.

Do your oil changes at the interval you are comfortable with, if more ferquently than BMW recommends. Do not reset the service indicator. Take it in to the dealer when the car tells you to (newfangled condition based service) or at least once per year through you 4 yr/50K free service in addition to any service you do. You decide if an extended service/warranty policy makes economic sense for you and how your indie service shop would play into that.

There's a thread around here somewhere that decsribes how to reset the service indicator. I am sure your indie shop knows how to do it on the F-series vehicles, too.

If you do your own oil changes, you'll need a new wrench for the oil filter cap - 86.5 mm, 16 flats. Several threads about that tool here, with different places to buy it. The drain is the std 17mm. Both torque to 25 Nm. Here is a great "ho to" - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=549519. Even though this is for the old 6-cyl "2.8" engine, it is the same for the X3 35i.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine

Last edited by Liverman; 06-24-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added more detail
Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks...and thanks for the tips on the tools Greg. I will let the service department handle everything for the next 4 years, but I can start adding to my tool collection now for birthdays, Father's Day, Christmas, etc. Most of the tools I used on my '01 330ci carry over to the '06 325i, but sounds like I get to buy more goodies for the X3.

I confirmed with my indy that when the warranty runs out, his computer will handle everything I need it to, unless BMW NA releases some new software updates that require connection to the NA servers. That will be 2017, though, and the F25 will be on its way out at HQ and the replacement model will be on its way in, so I doubt they'll be releasing any new software updates for it when I get to that milestone.
2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i
Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Far be it for me to defend a F&I guy/gal! However in this case they do make some sense in one area. By having the BMW mandated oil changes at the dealer it goes into their computer and shows the car is being maintained. It is also free for the first 50K miles, so it makes sense to do that with them. By having an "audit trail" of oil services and inspections in the computer BMW cannot come back later on when something breaks and say "you haven't been maintaining your car properly" thus freeing you from having to carry all your oil and filter receipts around with you. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Far be it for me to defend a F&I guy/gal! However in this case they do make some sense in one area. By having the BMW mandated oil changes at the dealer it goes into their computer and shows the car is being maintained. It is also free for the first 50K miles, so it makes sense to do that with them. By having an "audit trail" of oil services and inspections in the computer BMW cannot come back later on when something breaks and say "you haven't been maintaining your car properly" thus freeing you from having to carry all your oil and filter receipts around with you. Enjoy your new ride!
No doubt about it- I plan to service my car at the dealership for the first 4/50k. It's the part after the 4/50k expires that had me questioning things. He started quoting me $400+ oil services that would be free under the extended options....I can change it myself for a fraction of that, and it'd only be about $100 at the indy with all of the other "checks" that the dealer does included.

My main worry was not being able to maintain my car myself, or even away from the dealer...I hadn't had to deal with the dealership in a few years, and was worried that BMW was turning into something I wasn't going to be happy with by FORCING customers to use dealerships for service 100% of the time, even after warranty. All cleared up now though, thankfully.
2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i
Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Just bought '14 X3 xdrive35...oil change?

Wow, that is full of bull crap that the finance guy just gave you. If it was me, I would say, stick that maintenance up your ass and give me my fing car~

Have a nice day :P~

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
I just had an oil change at the dealer last week at 6500 miles. I paid about $90. You don't want to reset the indicator. Let it continue to count down to your freebie at 15k.

I normally do my own oil changes by sucking the oil out through the dip stick tube. Since I can't do that on the new X3 I let them do the change. I refuse to loosen another drain plug on a BMW. Steel plug and aluminum pan mean just a matter of time. It took me 25 years to strip one but I eventually did, on my M5.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport

Last edited by bimmernut1; 06-27-2013 at 06:51 PM.