Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Do you really do this?
I check under the hood weekly; just like I had cars with a real dipstick. BMW engines are beautifully designed. Look under the hood of a Lexus, Nissan or Honda, it's just a flat plastic cover, nothing to see there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s65b40.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	383241  

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel

Last edited by thekurgan; 06-23-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I check under the hood weekly; just like I had cars with a real dipstick. BMW engines are beautifully designed. Look under the hood of a Lexus, Nissan or Honda, it's just a flat plastic cover, nothing to see there.
They may have taken away the dipstick, but there's still a radiator reservoir, windshield fluid, and the air filter needs checking periodically. IMO opening the hood on a regular basis to check things is part of owning and operating a car responsibly.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
They may have taken away the dipstick, but there's still a radiator reservoir, windshield fluid, and the air filter needs checking periodically. IMO opening the hood on a regular basis to check things is part of owning and operating a car responsibly.
Agree 100%, you never know what you may find - leaks, smells, fraying belts, dead animals, etc.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Yeah, But I do my check in the driveway where its more likely I will be able to correct a fault not the local fuel stop. I may be old school but I don't see much to look at in a modern engine compartment but a lot of plastic. Used to be we could actually see the actual engine but even back then I was not one for gas station show offs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33eng1.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	383315  

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 06-23-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Yeah, But I do my check in the driveway where its more likely I will be able to correct a fault not the local fuel stop. I may be old school but I don't see much to look at in a modern engine compartment but a lot of plastic. Used to be we could actually see the actual engine but even back then I was not one for gas station show offs.
Maybe in your neck of the woods, filling station people are considered show offs, but where I live, in a small community, it's a meeting place of sorts.

Lots of car talk is shot around the filling station weekly. Some may actually call it: "social", oh God forbid we have conversations at a filling station now!

My grandfather and father both taught me to check the oil, transmission fluid, air pressure and washer fluid at the filling station, it was a social experience then as well, I continue the tradition.

Last edited by thekurgan; 06-24-2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Maybe in your neck of the woods, filling station people are considered show offs, but where I live, in a small community, it's a meeting place of sorts.

Lots of car talk is shot around the filling station weekly. Some may actually call it: "social", oh God forbid we have conversations at a filling station now!

My grandfather and father both taught me to check the oil, transmission fluid, air pressure and washer fluid at the filling station, it was a social experience then as well, I continue the tradition.
I suspect bear-av does exactly the same thing before each flight. Is he expecting to find a problem? Of course not. Does he want to make sure he knows about one if there is one, of course he does. We're no different.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I suspect bear-av does exactly the same thing before each flight. Is he expecting to find a problem? Of course not. Does he want to make sure he knows about one if there is one, of course he does. We're no different.
The issue surrounded gas station "show offs" ... how does your answer here relate?

Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Agree, you only skip that if you have a death wish

Actually my comment was directed to this.

Quote:
But ... opening your own hood at a filling station, and showing off the beautifully-detailed engine bay of the BMW, is fulfilling indeed.
It might not have been intended the way it was written but in lite of the OP's constant fawning over the M3 engine in a 3xx forum who could tell? I tend to read things literally & I did not see the social hangout part. I also don't see much more than plastic in any BMW engine compartment 4, 6 or 8. Your results may vary.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 06-24-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Agree, you only skip that if you have a death wish

Actually my comment was directed to this.

It might not have been intended the way it was written but in lite of the OP's constant fawning over the M3 engine in a 3xx forum who could tell? I tend to read things literally & I did not see the social hangout part. I also don't see much more than plastic in any BMW engine compartment 4, 6 or 8. Your results may vary.
Your points are taken; we're not all car/engine guys in this forum.

/conversation

Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
The issue surrounded gas station "show offs" ... how does your answer here relate?
You had posted that you enjoy taking a look at things under the hood and doing some routine checks whenever you get gas. Bear-av, being a pilot must do a pre-flight before every flight which includes some of the things you enjoy doing.
My point was that you feel it is as important for your car as he does for his aircraft. So do I.
Wasn't directed at the 'gas station show offs' aspect. I was unclear.