Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-23-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 1999 323i
1999 323i Auto trans dipstick, how to tell how much to add??..gm trans.

this car is fairly new to me...and the trans started slipping...I think its low on fluid...I know some bimmers have noway to add fluid..but I have a round cap that says trans oil only in the engine compartment and I this car has the gm trans...the dipstick has several lines on it..but none say full or low or add a quart...so how do I read this dipstick??
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
That compartment in the engine bay is the power steering reservoir. The power steering systems in these cars take automatic transmission fluid. The transmission its self is "sealed" with a "lifetime" fluid. There is no dipstick. The procedure for topping off the transmission involves getting the transmission up to a certain temperature and topping it off until it runs out the fill hole. The procedure isn't all that hard, but I can't recite it from memory. My transmission leaks and when it gets low it will start to slip so there is a good chance that is what is happening with you. I would either take it to a shop, or read up online about the topping off procedure. If the fluid has been in there a while it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and change the fluid all together.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
You need some remedial learning. Read the wiki carefully
Attached Files
File Type: pdf engine bay parts-.pdf (225.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 1999 323i
what a drag ...you have to get under the car to add trans fluid!...this is the second big disappointment...the first is a cooling system that everyone seems to agree is unreliable...especially the expansion tank
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
To gain access to the transmission check/fill plug, you have to raise the car at least a foot or more equally all around because the transmission must be level in order to properly check the level. I couldn't raise the rear of the car with my floor jack because there is insufficient clearance to operate the pump arm, so I ended up jacking on one rear jack pad to get a jack stand precariously on a sturdy suspension mount in order to get the floor jack under the center differential support cross member to raise and support the rear properly. Raising the front is equally problematic, but since I have Race Ramps, I was able to lift the front on the lower A-arms until I could slide a ramp under each wheel (FYI my car was deadlined so I couldn't drive it up the ramps). Even then, with typical 18" max-lift hydraulic jacks, I couldn't use a creeper to get to the transmission plug as it's just not high enough. Otherwise, checking and filling the transmission wasn't too bad; just tedious. You must use some sort of fluid transfer pump to get ATF in: Because I had to pump in 9+ quarts, I bought a pressurized Power Fill Pro which made it quick and easy to top off the ATF.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
...And yes, I agree the cooling system design and quality is absolutely awful; too much reliance on plastic and the interface methods of joining some components is plain short-sighted thinking.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI, 11 X5 35d
Lifetime = until your power train ends !!!!
This is just a marketing gimmick, if its lifetime and if the fluid gets low, will it rebuilt or replace your transmission, free of charge ? I think not !
I have 219,xxxkm with original automatic fluid. I contemplating changing mine. Why couldn't they stick with the Dextron fluid like they did in the past ?
Change it every 50,000km, and have a damn fill and top up from the engine bay.

Last edited by BMW318i_E36; 06-24-2013 at 04:04 PM.