Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Not a Bimmer driver anymo

Mein Auto: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
335xi Check engine ("Reduced Power") without stored code?

Hey all,

A few weeks ago I had the engine light with "Reduced Power" and the car felt like it wasn't spooling the turbos or even using the full power of the straight-6. I was in a parking lot so I turned around, turned the car off, and then a few minutes later when I restarted everything was fine.

The end of last week I was in for the battery cable fix and I asked if there were any stored faults and they said no. But then on Friday I had the same thing happen, where a restart resolved it.

Is it more likely that I have an issue that isn't storing a fault or that BMW didn't scan the codes when it was in for the recall (they claim there is a vehicle inspection included at no cost)? Any suspicions on what it could be if it's intermittent like that? I hesitate to pay $100+ for a diagnostic if they're just going to find no stored faults again. I have an indy shop I'm going to call for advice but in the mean time, I hoped to draw on the collective wisdom here.

Last edited by Gig103; 05-27-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: e 90

Any long cranking in the morning? Or any rough idling? It is one of the symptoms of hpfp failing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Not a Bimmer driver anymo

Mein Auto: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
No, it had no symptoms up to the point of failure, or on restart. In the parking lot at low speed/gear, on the highway around 70-80 in a high (5th?) gear, just after passing but not during the passing.

The shop I use said that if it hasn't come back, I can consider it a low priority since anything that could damage the engine would stay an active fault. I am due for an oil change in ~ 3k miles, I'll have them scan it then unless it shows up again.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: e 90

My car did the same in the parking lot but I was experiencing more than normal cranks in the mornings during cold start. The engine didn't through any codes but I had the dealership run the pressure test on the fuel pump. It failed and its a well known issue so the warranty is extended for the pump for 10 years/120000 miles. I would get it tested.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335xi sedan
hello all, I just experienced the no spooling problem myself. the engine signal went on with the back half of the engine highlighted, and the car felt bogged down, And like the above, the problem disappeared the next time i drove the car. It has yet to come back thankfully. I was worried it was an electrical problem because my rear passenger tire sensor has been acting up and i've heard some horror stories with the 5 series that started in that fashion. I'm not sure if the car idles rough or not because I have nothing to compare it to, but it does knock or shake every once and a while after it has been running. I was told this could just be an airflow problem. I am hoping this is just a coincidence, and that it just may be the hpfp, a bad tire sensor, and a dirty intake.

I am new to the BMW community and just graduated college so I haven't as much time as i'd like to scour the forums for all of my many questions. If the topics im asking about is covered at nauseam please feel free to send me SEARCHING,

Any input is much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: 208 335 ci, 2008 535i
I have had the same problem from time to time. 08 335 (e93) 49,584 miles. It does not occur with any predictability and clears as soon as the car is restarted. It is a protection mode the car goes in when the "sensors" sense an imbalance in what it thinks is normal. I had the indy shop check the historical codes. BMW dealer ship says there are no codes and an Indy says there are history codes who do you believe. He came up with two. OX2DED(11757) Power management idle current mode invalid signal & OX3OFF(12543) Exhaust turbo low pressure side invalid signal. He seemed to think it was an air intake problem , as if the engine was starved for air under hard acceleration. His suggestion was to get a better flowing air filter. Its on order......we'll see

PS the codes have Oh's not zeros
Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Mine has had the same issue twice in the past couple of weeks, usually after driving the car hard. It's going to the dealer tomorrow for inspection. One of the exciting aspects of beta testing the N54. Already shopping for a replacement.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Convertible
Mine did the same last week. Was about 90 degress, hot humid, muggy. I was running around town usually about 2500-3,000 rpm, then bam, the indicator came up.
I left it in the driveway for 3 days, did not run it. Started it and no problem at all.
2007 335i Vert. 58,000 miles, all service done prior (i bought it used last august).
Mike