Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 118i F20
Need your advice, guys. Bmw 118i F20

Hey guys.

Got a bit of discussion in my mind with a friend of mine. There is BMW 118i F20
pic link http://http://www.google.ru/imgres?n...5&tx=139&ty=66

The bottom line is info about cooling of supercharger. I've hear though the grapevine that now it not nessecary for waiting couple minutes before shutting down engine. Because new (f20) bmw has some sort of liquid in there and it hepls to keeping temperature of supercharger down, but i don't know about it at all. is it right ? or I still should give for my bmw some period of time to cool it. ?

with best regards from russia._a_
Ads by Google
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Most turbo charge cars have a intercooler to cool the engine and the fan will run for 30 sec or so after shutting down.... you will be fine here

My last car I installed a timer that let the fan run a bit longer than usual after switching off the engine...
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 05-15-2013, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
Most turbo charge cars have a intercooler to cool the engine and the fan will run for 30 sec or so after shutting down.... you will be fine here

My last car I installed a timer that let the fan run a bit longer than usual after switching off the engine...
thx for answer, but I was writing about turbocharger, not engine. and it's my first time I hear that intercooler cools engine. it cools hot air after turbocharger to put in cylinders. the coolest air you have the more air 02 (oxygen) you can put in cylinder. intercooler has a bit of other functionality. am i mislead ?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyWolf View Post
thx for answer, but I was writing about turbocharger, not engine. and it's my first time I hear that intercooler cools engine. it cools hot air after turbocharger to put in cylinders. the coolest air you have the more air 02 (oxygen) you can put in cylinder. intercooler has a bit of other functionality. am i mislead ?
You're exactly correct. When any device (turbocharger, supercharger, blower) compresses air it raises the temperature of the air. The intercooler cools the air coming from the turbocharger giving additional efficiency to the combustion process.

People have many different theories about cooling turbochargers. Many that have highly modified cars will even add turbo timers which will keep the car running for a specified period of time and then shut the car down so you don't have to sit in the car and wait.

My theory is this if you drive your turbocharged car normally around town and then drive slowly through your neighborhood and then park your car and shut it off you're going to be fine.

If you just did a drag race down your street and as you're pulling into your driveway before your even stopped you shut off the engine and coast into the garage you may have some problems.

My concern with things like turbo timers has always been this. For most cars they cool most efficiently when fresh air is passing over the radiator as the car moves forward. When you park the engine is cooling down because it is no longer loaded but if there is the wall of a garage directly in front of the car it may not be getting the best source of cool air to help with the cooling process.

My opinion says - drive fast and hard if you want but about two minutes out from you place take it easy keep the engine lightly loaded and at lower rpm's - park and shut off your car immediately and you should be fine.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM

DslDwg, thx a lot !!!