Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1x28i
Angry wiper problems

I have a problem with the auto sensors. The wipers never seem to slow down to an intermittent mode. They continue wiping a dry window. I get so frustrated I just do it manually by hand.
My wife's Honda crv is a manual adjustment and it works beautifully.
Can anybody help me.
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heraldo View Post
I have a problem with the auto sensors. The wipers never seem to slow down to an intermittent mode. They continue wiping a dry window. I get so frustrated I just do it manually by hand.
Can anybody help me.
Did you adjust the sensitivity?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 XLine
mine works fine o.O
Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Quote:
Can anybody help me.
Just checking: You realize that intermittent mode is done by pushing the button at the end of the stalk (green LED will light) as opposed to flicking the stalk (which bypasses intermittent mode).

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 4motion
wiper problems

Would have been nice if BMW had put an indicator light in the instrument panel advising when the auto wipe was on. Very hard to see the green light on the wiper stalk indicating auto is on. It's hidden behind the steering wheel.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 AM

I never realized there is a green light to show auto is on, probably because I am color blind. I love my car but why does BMW make these things so difficult.
I will have my wife help me set it up.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Peanut View Post
Would have been nice if BMW had put an indicator light in the instrument panel advising when the auto wipe was on. Very hard to see the green light on the wiper stalk indicating auto is on. It's hidden behind the steering wheel.
If you think the intermittent indicator is hard to see, try seeing the heated steering wheel indicator/button.

Yeah, sometimes I turn on the wipers, then go back and hit the intermittent switch just to make sure, especially if the auto setting has turned on "normal" speed (constant wipe).

One thing that bugs me (and perhaps others) is that the wiper stalk's on/off is opposite that of our Toyotas.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Quote:
I never realized there is a green light to show auto is on, probably because I am color blind. I love my car but why does BMW make these things so difficult.
I will have my wife help me set it up.
You don't need to set it up. Just press the button when you want it on. It shuts off when you turn off the ignition, so you need to press it again when you are next ready to use it. The little rotator on the stalk has 4 speed settings. I usually use the lowest or next up. With the button pressed (light on) you should never need to flick the stalk. It works well on the X1 as it has on all my bimmers.

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Quote:
Can anybody help me.
I have only driven my new X1 in the rain once but the wiper system is one of the things I dislike about it. There is no intermittent setting. You get the auto rain sensor mode or two speed manual mode. It appears you can regulate the auto rain sensor sensitivity with the thumb wheel but it does not change the wiping rate much. The rain intensity is the factor that sets the frequency.

I would love to have a real intermittent wiper setting but that isn't an option on this car. Who thinks this stuff up....
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 AM

Smile Thanks guys

I have it working perfectly now.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have it working perfectly now.
Perfect! Glad that we were able to help.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

And if you think the current system is hard...

Our '91 525i had BMW's first attempt at building an intermittent wiper system that could be set for anything from 2 seconds to 2 minutes. No thumbwheel for BMW!

What you did: flip the wiper stalk to the intermittent setting then back off. Wait until the windshield needs to be wiped, then turn it back to intermittent. Voila! You've set the interval to just exactly what you need - FOR THAT MOMENT IN TIME!

To change the interval, you had to start all over, by which time you'd pretty much be guaranteed to need to change it again.

Not only complicated, but mostly useless.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 x28i MSport, Miata
Something cool I noticed about constant speed mode: It slows down when you're stopped! Awesome!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x1 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
I have only driven my new X1 in the rain once but the wiper system is one of the things I dislike about it. There is no intermittent setting. You get the auto rain sensor mode or two speed manual mode. It appears you can regulate the auto rain sensor sensitivity with the thumb wheel but it does not change the wiping rate much. The rain intensity is the factor that sets the frequency.

I would love to have a real intermittent wiper setting but that isn't an option on this car. Who thinks this stuff up....
I guess i never gave the intermittent option any thought, since the rain sensing provides exactly the wipe interval needed.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 XLine
offtopic:

i just want to say that the rear wiper of the x1's is very ugly. =(