Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 05-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
Still spewing some coolant...

Been almost 1000 miles after engine replacement. From very beginning I've been noticing some coolant being spewed out around the intercooler expansion tank.

To make it clear. This only happens when going really highrevs / redline and under load. I can drive around all day long and there will be no signs of it. Need to be pushing the engine for this to happen.

This is the part I'm talking about***********:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...g=05&lang=enUS

It's definitely in the epicentre of the problem but I'm not sure if it's coming from the cap or from a crack in the expansion tank (the SA did a pressure test with over 1 bar pressure and there was no signs of coolant anywhere on the tank).

What I observe , is some coolant accumulated in this small "pit" marked red:

And some drops all over the engine. Here's schematically how the distribution of drops that I usually see , there's also quite a large coolant stain on the inside of the hood of course:

(not the actual engine)

So I'm sure it's not coolant overfill, especially since quite a bit of it has been already "flown" out.
Not sure if it's still a crack in the expansion tank - I don't know if ~ 1 bar pressure test is enough and how much pressure is developed during high revved engine operation (turbocharger operation) ???
The "picture" and the distribution of coolant DOES point to a crack in that "pit" spot as the most likely reason.

Or it's just the cap, which I'm also not sure if it's a pressure cap or just a regular cap that is NOT supposed to let any coolant out. The SA said it's a pressure cap but if you look at the part description in the realoem link above it says "02 Cover lid", and if you look at the main expansion tank cap here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=30&lang=en

It says "06 Radiator cap 2,0BAR"

which to me looks like it's the pressure cap and the other one isn't. So it could be the cap - although I can't see how the coolant can be distributed that way if it came from "under" the cap ...

p.s. now that I thought about it looking at the pics I made, it actually could - if you imagine the coolant flying out from the cap area initially forwards and at some point being blown off and backwards since a) the car if moving fast and b) radiator fan blowing it backwards, then the drops would indeed be appearing on the engine cover like that.

Last edited by beamlord; 05-04-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Took a 150 mile drive last night on the autobahn with about 100 miles of it over 100mph and probably 50-60 miles constantly on the limiter, accelerating, stretching the muscles, really pushed the engine. The car runs like a on steroids and the limiter is a joke since there's what it feels like room to go up to 200mph.

Anyway, back in the garage, sure enough, there's a wet spot on the inside of the hood, and some coolant drops as described above.

Now, I noted the coolant level the day before that (in the MAIN expansion tank), and it was a bit over "min".
So after the mentioned run, I let the car cool off during the night and this morning checked the coolant level, it was exactly at the "min" level. I topped up probably like 2-3 ounces of water to have the level reach well above "min".

So to me, it looks like the amount spewed out is pretty miniscule - like, after over 2 hours track-like driving on the autobahn, it lost 2-3 ounces of coolant? I mean, it's not the end of the world - maybe it's even "normal" for this car (duh).
Any ideas on what I may be missing?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
You sure there isn't a hose leak?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
You sure there isn't a hose leak?
Not sure about anything in this situation, but the hose (I assume you mean the one attached to the expansion tank on the left side) is dry, it does get some of the coolant drops but they're coming from elsewhere.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
Not sure about anything in this situation, but the hose (I assume you mean the one attached to the expansion tank on the left side) is dry, it does get some of the coolant drops but they're coming from elsewhere.
Being it back and have BMW figure it out. This is not normal behavior.

And for the speed limiter I think that one is easily removed via coding

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Being it back and have BMW figure it out. This is not normal behavior.

And for the speed limiter I think that one is easily removed via coding

Sometimes I think I'm nitpicking but you're right I also think this is not normal! Even if the effect is minimal and only occurs during high-performance operation of the engine.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 750i F01
Maybe you already found the answer but I had the same problem and it took my BMW-dealer a while to find out.
One (of 3 I Think) of the lids could only handle 1,2 bar when it should handle 1,5 bar. It was not detected when they did the preasuretest.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750 Li
Not sure how I am the first to post on this but 50-60 miles on the limiter?! Makes me smile from ear to ear to read that. I have only had mine up to 140mph. At the end of the run, I was clocked doing 95 in a 70mph. Was nice to the cop and ticket was for 80. Love driving this car fast, so much fun and so stable!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml99 View Post
Maybe you already found the answer but I had the same problem and it took my BMW-dealer a while to find out.
One (of 3 I Think) of the lids could only handle 1,2 bar when it should handle 1,5 bar. It was not detected when they did the preasuretest.
This did not solve the problem... :-( If anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:01 AM

Finally they have found out what was wrong (I hope)! Some of the 750;s (mine included) had their engines replaced. When reconnecting the cooling hoses they connected two of them the wrong way! It has happened in some other cases in the world according to PUMA.
This build up a high pressure and you canít see from where the coolant is coming.
Now they have reconnected the hoses and I really hope this will make it stop spraying coolant over the engine.
So if you had your engine replace make sure that the cooling system is correctly reconnected. The mistake was difficult to locate since it is hard to see that it was incorrectly connected, the engine runs normal and it is only when you push the engine hard that the coolant leaks.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:22 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Quote:
Finally they have found out what was wrong (I hope)! Some of the 750;s (mine included) had their engines replaced. When reconnecting the cooling hoses they connected two of them the wrong way! It has happened in some other cases in the world according to PUMA.
This build up a high pressure and you canít see from where the coolant is coming.
Now they have reconnected the hoses and I really hope this will make it stop spraying coolant over the engine.
So if you had your engine replace make sure that the cooling system is correctly reconnected. The mistake was difficult to locate since it is hard to see that it was incorrectly connected, the engine runs normal and it is only when you push the engine hard that the coolant leaks.
Waiting for the pics from you. Very excited! Can you also ask your SA about the reference number of that PUMA case?

Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Waiting for the pics from you. Very excited! Can you also ask your SA about the reference number of that PUMA case?

I was a bit surprised that the problem was located there because of the spray pattern (same as on your Picture) but in fact they were connected the wrong way. And as the garage said; They just assumed that the engine and the cooling system was correctly connected and that was why they had a hard time finding the problem. They also said it looked more correct when it was incorrectly connected! :-)
Hope this can help you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130917_131709.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	397331

Name:	20130917_131712.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	397332

Name:	20130917_131716.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	397333

Name:	20130917_131728.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	397334
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Quote:
I was a bit surprised that the problem was located there because of the spray pattern (same as on your Picture) but in fact they were connected the wrong way. And as the garage said; They just assumed that the engine and the cooling system was correctly connected and that was why they had a hard time finding the problem. They also said it looked more correct when it was incorrectly connected! :-)
Hope this can help you.

Attachment 397331

Attachment 397332

Attachment 397333

Attachment 397334
Wow. This is indeed a bit off of the locations I'd look at when looking for the cause of that problem.

so to get this straight: the pics show the CORRECT connection now; and incorrect was that these two hoses were swapped ??
How much work was it and what did they charge?

Last edited by beamlord; 09-17-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Wow. This is indeed a bit off of the locations I'd look at when looking for the cause of that problem.

so to get this straight: the pics show the CORRECT connection now; and incorrect was that these two hoses were swapped ??
How much work was it and what did they charge?
The pictures shows the correct connection and yes they were swapped before. I asked BMW if there is any case number but they say there isnt one.
Since I had a guarantee I didnt pay anything but they said it was an easy fix that wouldnt take long.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Quote:
The pictures shows the correct connection and yes they were swapped before. I asked BMW if there is any case number but they say there isnt one.
Since I had a guarantee I didnt pay anything but they said it was an easy fix that wouldnt take long.
Gotcha, please keep us posted and do some high-rev high speed runs to check if the issue is really gone.

I will be scheduling a service appointment @ my dealer. No idea why I asked how much they charged, since mine should be also done under warranty anyway

Old 09-24-2013, 03:11 AM

After a week now and a few high speed runs and reving it really seems like the problem is solved!
Hope you also found the solution to your problem.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Quote:
After a week now and a few high speed runs and reving it really seems like the problem is solved!
Thanks a lot for the update, I am definitely going to visit my dealer

Old 10-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Quote:
Finally found time to drop by the dealer, the SA was VERY surprised and wanted to take a closer look, then after a moment of embarassement he went "please leave the car here right now we want to get this fixed asap" ..
So they swapped the hoses.
I'm a happy camper now.

God bless you, if it wasn't for your report I'd probably never find out what's wrong !

Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 AM

GREAT!
I am really glad I could help you. My car has been ok since they swapped the hoses.
My SA said they only found one (1) more incident like this one in Puma in the world! So now I guess there are three!
I guess there could be a few more cases since most drivers might not notice it if they donít rev the engine enough. The previous owner of my car didnít notice it and the dealer that sold it didnít find the mistake.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: ///M7

Nice! Finally got this issue solved. Strong work!

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Finally found time to drop by the dealer, the SA was VERY surprised and wanted to take a closer look, then after a moment of embarassement he went "please leave the car here right now we want to get this fixed asap" ..
Seeing a German SA being embarassed - priceless!

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454