Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 645 CIc
Doesnt that flood the engine with gas?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by name here View Post
Doesnt that flood the engine with gas?
No, the engine isn't running.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645 CIc
tbal aint as crazy as he sounds. I followed the procedure and no more hesitation! thanks man.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to schulrog Send a message via MSN to schulrog Send a message via Yahoo to schulrog Send a message via Skype™ to schulrog
Mein Auto: 645Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by name here View Post
tbal aint as crazy as he sounds. I followed the procedure and no more hesitation! thanks man.
haha u have no idea... he is cra-zieehhh
Magnaflow Exhaust with custom X-Pipe
20" M6 Replicas, H&R Spacers 20mm Front & Rear
Falken 452 Front: 255/35/20 Rear: 285/30/20
Eibach Springs 1.2" Front and Rear
AE's: MTEC V3 LED
DLR's: OSRAM NightBreaker Plus
Low Beam Lights: OSRAM Cool Blue Intense
Fog Lights: Hid-Kit
Parking Lights Delete
Turnsignal Lights: Stealth/Chrome
Old 07-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to tbal69
Mein Auto: Qrtr27
Lol
Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Esiste

Mein Auto: 2007 650i Monaco Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdessinger View Post
Has anyone else felt that the first split second of accelation lags? After the rmps get above 3k it's a beast but it just feels like something is missing or I'm I crazy. When I got home and got back into my x-5 which is 5 years old with the 300 hp 4.4. It has that neck snap initial acceleration that I just don't have in my 650 or am I just crazy? Or do I just need to break it in some more.

One more thing has anyone had this one happen. I'm driving for about a hour in at 120-130 mph for about 45 minutes. Car starts stalling like it's not getting enough gas or enough air. pull to the side of the road. Turn off the engine. Thinking great I'm in the middle of spain wonder how roadside works in the middle of no wear in spain. I turn over the car and see if it resets it self and it does. No other problems. Crazy huh?
Brian
Hey Brian, I have been getting the same hesitation as well, it usually happens earlier after I have just started the car and am driving, but today it happened at almost every light and stopsign. I have to push the throttle a little more to get it past the hesitation, and then it jumps out too fast once it tips in. The person next to me then thinks that I am trying to show off, but what do I care? I have thought this might be attributable to using 89 octane fuel and ethanol mix fuels, as this happens sporadically. I will mix in a 91 octane tank with every two 89 octane, but I am not sure if this is affecting the hesitation or not as I have not monitored it - but just simply assumed.

TS
Old 07-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdessinger View Post
I just got back from my 2 month Ed and already miss my 650 and I know your going to think I'm crazy but. Has anyone else felt that the first split second of accelation lags? After the rmps get above 3k it's a beast but it just feels like something is missing or I'm I crazy. When I got home and got back into my x-5 which is 5 years old with the 300 hp 4.4. It has that neck snap initial acceleration that I just don't have in my 650 or am I just crazy? Or do I just need to break it in some more.

One more thing has anyone had this one happen. I'm driving for about a hour in at 120-130 mph for about 45 minutes. Car starts stalling like it's not getting enough gas or enough air. pull to the side of the road. Turn off the engine. Thinking great I'm in the middle of spain wonder how roadside works in the middle of no wear in spain. I turn over the car and see if it resets it self and it does. No other problems. Crazy huh?

Thanks for any imput on the 1st section.

Brian
I felt it too and I think I am going to reset the transmission...however, the car is a lot more responsive in the sport mode...I didnt really notice the gas needle while I went cruising at 120...lol!

So, this is a weird question...after getting the dealer change my brakes (front and rear) + sensors I got rid of the hissing noise...however, today while I was braking, this was at a speed of 80mph...and changing lanes at the same time I felt as it the front of the car went slight right and then came back straight.. as if the wheels turned right and then got back to the straight position (I did not turn the steering though....)..I felt it was weird....anyone has any thoughts as to what it might be?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to tbal69
Mein Auto: Qrtr27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStranger27 View Post
Hey Brian, I have been getting the same hesitation as well, it usually happens earlier after I have just started the car and am driving, but today it happened at almost every light and stopsign. I have to push the throttle a little more to get it past the hesitation, and then it jumps out too fast once it tips in. The person next to me then thinks that I am trying to show off, but what do I care? I have thought this might be attributable to using 89 octane fuel and ethanol mix fuels, as this happens sporadically. I will mix in a 91 octane tank with every two 89 octane, but I am not sure if this is affecting the hesitation or not as I have not monitored it - but just simply assumed.

TS
No offense but why would you even bother using 89? When bmw recommends nothing less than 91... Theres obvioslly a very good reason behind using 91, and 89.. such as engine knock, loss of power, lack of mpg and so forth. Hesitation... maybe related. Seems like the civic drivers dont mind using 91+ octane, but bmw 6 series drivers want to using 89- ... haha go figure
Old 07-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbal69 View Post
No offense but why would you even bother using 89? When bmw recommends nothing less than 91... Theres obvioslly a very good reason behind using 91, and 89.. such as engine knock, loss of power, lack of mpg and so forth. Hesitation... maybe related. Seems like the civic drivers dont mind using 91+ octane, but bmw 6 series drivers want to using 89- ... haha go figure
Put your money where the mouth is....premium is recommended...I dont compromise on that......hesitation is still there but never very noticeable....I would recommend you dont mix....its funny I met a guy who drives a Cayenne Turbo and he told me that he mixes 89 & 91....I didnt end up buying the tubo from him....
Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Just got my first BMW!

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i Convertible
I just got my 650i convertible a few days ago so I'm NO expert yet, but I think I recognise the 'lag'. What I am surprised by is that there is some debate about sport mode - I notice an immediate and VERY VERY noticable difference when I press the sport mode button. i.e. it will change down immediately, and clearly changes down more quickly - the responsiveness is night and day different. I'll try the procedure to put the transmission back into learning mode when I'm a little more used to it the car so I can tell if there's a difference.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 650 /BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spowagk View Post
I just got my 650i convertible a few days ago so I'm NO expert yet, but I think I recognise the 'lag'. What I am surprised by is that there is some debate about sport mode - I notice an immediate and VERY VERY noticable difference when I press the sport mode button. i.e. it will change down immediately, and clearly changes down more quickly - the responsiveness is night and day different. I'll try the procedure to put the transmission back into learning mode when I'm a little more used to it the car so I can tell if there's a difference.
I too notice a huge difference in sport mode. I have a 6 spd manual transmission so I don't see the lag. You can tell however when the car hits the magic 3400 RPM.

2008 650 CIC Blk/Cream pearl/6spd Manual/Sport/sat/HUD/Cold/Comfort/Prem Sound!!
2002 X5 3.0 Blk/Gray/Sport (current)
2001 330i Blk/Tan/premium (Gone for 650 CIC)
2000 M Roadster Silver/black/19 in Hamman/Dinan upgrades (Sold)
1999 528i Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for X5)
1996 328is Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for 528i)
Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Cabriolet
Thumbs up The BMW 650i Tranny Reset for better acceleration

I have to say that this blog is the best I have ever encountered for information on my BMW.
I had a great running 2008 BMW 650i convertible with 23000 miles on it. I brought the car in to an auto body shop to have a minor scratch on rear bumper fixed. They disconnected my battery for some reason and I didn't think anything of it until I was driving my car home from the shop and noticed a hesitation in acceleration when the gas pedal was depressed rapidly.
I had never had that problem before. I was going crazy. It didn't happen in Sport mode only regular drive. Then I googled the problem and got this site. Bmmerfest had a guy tbal69 who had a do it yourself tranny reset that was easy and self explanatory. I immediately went out to the garage and tried it. I have a push button, so I put the key in the ignition, pressed the start button twice to get to acc mode, then pressed the accelerator to the floor for 45 seconds to a minute. Don't step on the brake pedal. Then I stepped on brake pedal, started the car and off I went. Holy ****! The car was back to normal. Fast and responsive, I had it up to a hundred from a dead stop, it kicked down and took off. I tried dead stop to acceleration several times and the car rode amazing. Thanks to TBAL69 and this site.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 AM
BMW Rookie

Wow had a lag/ jerk on initial launch, which thought it was normal. My transmission felt like it had a shift kit installed but without the good results. I did this "Tranny Reset" as soon as i got out from work and my transmission felt smooth right away..... Thanks for the info Guys!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: '04 645csi
Ok, folks, the reset is so simple it's almost funny. Go to youtube and look up BMW E60 transmission reset. A 30 second video shows that (without your foot on the brake), you move the key to the start position, then move it all the way to start. An icon appears on your function screen of a foot on an accelerator. When the icon appears, press accelerator all the way to the floor. When the icon disappears, your tranny is reset. Simple? Hope this helps you folks out there with the balky transmissions!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Transmission Reset 650i

The only problem with the key turning and pic of foot on accelerator video is that a BMW 650i has a push button start. But the concept is the same. Press button twice put foot down for 30 seconds and sometimes you hear a click sometimes you don't but it still resets.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:02 PM

I didn't see any posts here regarding the tranny reset that mentioned the icon on the dash or the fact that you have to turn the key to full start to get the icon to come on. My sixer is now running like a dream again.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM

What kind of car do you have that the key turns?

I was wondering what car you have that you can turn the key or is there a way to do it on a 650i with a push button?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 PM

Andy, I've heard you can press the start button twice...or do you have a key too? In any case, I'm sure you can bring the "foot on gas" icon up if you just perform the functions you usually would without the brake pedal. If you have a key too, push it all the way through "start" without your foot on the brake. Then watch your function screen for a "foot icon". Push it down past kickdown and wait for the icon to change to your regular screen. The job is done. If you have only a button push it twice without the brake like you were going to actually start it, and watch for the icon. Good luck and let me know if it works for you.