Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: x5
X5 4.4i 2004 won't start

Hi all,

I am trying to get my neighbor's X5 started. Every time I put in the key to start it the engine the car alarm goes off instead. I don't hear the engine crank at all. The battery reads 12.4v. The control display, where the radio is located, is lit up in dark gray and nothing appears on the display. The key works fine, able to lock and unlock and car lights are working. Got high beam too. But her car just wouldn't start.

Can someone point me in the the direction of how we can get my neighbor's car started so she can take it to the shop? Thank you so much in advance.

Larry
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Supporting Member

Mein Auto: X5 E53/ E90 335i
X5 4.4i 2004 won't start

try using the Master key. I Had the same issue happen to me. A cousin of mine suggested using the master key and he was right.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Just an FYI: the OP's original question was asked 3 months ago...when they joined the forum...and apparently they've never posted again (verified by their post count).

All the available keys are actually "masters" (except for the valet/service key that has a gray head) because they all can lock/unlock everything on the vehicle. In the case of the X5...this means the door, ignition , and glovebox. On other BMW models that have a lock cylinder on the trunk or tailgate...all keys will work that cylinder too...except for the gray headed valet/service key.

The only thing the 3 button remote key has different is...the ability to lock/unlock the vehicle without sticking the key blade into the lock cylinder...and the ability to activate the PANIC alarm. But all the other keys (even the valet) will arm/disarm & lock/unlock FZV & DWA (remote central locking & anti-theft alarm siren system) under normal circumstances.

Too bad the OP never responded back with a resolution or more info because there are some inconsistencies that need to be cleared/verified.
  1. if the battery shows 12.4 volts...why is the dash's illumination "grayed-out"?
  2. if the alarm siren goes off when the key is inserted to start the vehicle...it may indicate that the alarm siren's internal battery is not being charged...thus a drop in voltage when an attempt to start the car occurs...could be signalling the alarm that the vehicle is being tampered with.

With the two situations above...I'd recheck the car's battery to see if it really is 12.4 volts. It may not be able to hold a charge (dead cell). A battery could also have enough juice to illuminate the lights, blow the horn, etc...but not have enough reserve capacity to start the vehicle...thus more tests on the battery...or even a good overnight recharge...or jump start might work.

But alas, the thread is dead because the OP has never come back with any resolution or other info.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg