Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Door lock actuator problem?

In the last day or so I have gone to open the driver's door and the car acted like it was locked and I had no key. It has happened now about four times. Once the doors were unlocked (I could see the lock pins in the up position). In each case I locked and unlocked the doors and it then opened normally.

Anyone had this happen? I am going to change my key battery now. I also plan to do a better search for the problem and /or a DIY for door panel removal. Anyone know of any serviceable parts in the lock mechanism? I guess I should look at the TIS as well.

Any help is always appreciated.
HUD, Comfort Access

Ads by Google
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
It sounds like the battery could be the problem. Does this happen on both doors & the trunk, or just the one door?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
It sounds like the battery could be the problem. Does this happen on both doors & the trunk, or just the one door?
Thanks Herb. Just the one door.

I opened it up today, looked up the TIS and did some reading. Looks like I have an issue with either the exterior Bowden cable or the base of the exterior handle components dealing with the exterior Bowden cable. (so much for getting any work done).

If I move the interior handle everything works perfect (looking in while operating), but when I move the outside handle nothing near the lock moves .

To figure out what is wrong it looks like I need to remove the glass and the rear window mounts/tracks, then pull the lock and handle. Can anyone confirm or deny my need for this extent of vehicular door surgery?

Thanks in advance
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Turns out it was an exterior Bowden cable. $36 at the dealer and about 5 hours work. I had to remove the door panel, barrier, window trim, window glass, door handle, locking actuator and exterior handle base. After that it only took two minutes to replace the broken cable. Then replace in reverse. But it works great...again.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
That sounds like a lot of work, for a simple cable problem. BMW doesn't want us doing even the simple repairs!

Glad you got it fixed!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM

Agreed Herb.

But it was all very straight forward. It was an in depth ordeal, but nothing was difficult and everything fits back together as it should. I found no help from DIY's or threads, but the TIS lead me straight through the process with very little problems once I consigned myself to fully dismantle the door/window. I wasted more time trying to dream up or look up shortcuts than it took to do the job correctly.
HUD, Comfort Access