Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Re: Cross bars and roof box

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbercasio View Post
Crossbars are Made in Germany while the bike rack is Made in Poland...
Yes I noticed that as well. My service center here in Germany assures me all of the OE rack attachments are made by Thule. They also tell me that accessories made by Thule will fit on this rack no problem. I don't really plan on buying anything else except for the ski/snowboard holder, which I'll probably also purchase here before the government sends me somewhere else. I got all of my stuff (the bars and 2 bike racks) for 300 euro, so their prices are extremely competitive with any online retailers.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i and BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by exozune View Post
I put the rubber on and it didn't make much of a difference. Can't have it all I suppose......

I wonder if the Thule Aerobar will make any big difference with the noise...
Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Cross bars and roof box

Quote:
I put the rubber on and it didn't make much of a difference. Can't have it all I suppose......
With nothing on the cross bars and the rubber inserts installed, I don't get any whistling. There is increased wind noise though and with the moonroof open its not very pleasant. With the snowboard/ski holder installed the roof rack whistles at 45 mph to 50 mph. It didn't whistle above 50 at all (even at 110 mph). I assume the whistling speed will depend on what you are attaching to the cross bars. I wish they had extra plastic inserts you could trim to fit around the snowboard/ski holder.

Don't tell smoky I was doing 110 ;-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Quote:

Try adjusting the placement of the racks. Depending on where the rack is located front to back, the angle of the rack will change due to the slope of the roof and will affect wind noise. The instructions call for a particular placement on the roof but you don't need to follow it exactly... there is room for adjustment.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4
Bmw oem racks e53

Hello. Anyone know if I need special tooling for these racks to mount properly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	458846  
Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 35i
I HIGHLY recommend Rhino Rack. I have all the attachments. You can get black or brushed silver finish.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: X1 XDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonB View Post
I HIGHLY recommend Rhino Rack. I have all the attachments. You can get black or brushed silver finish.
Really? I hate mine... it makes a whistling noise above 40mph. Was going to leave it on all the time but not after hearing the noise it makes. Plan to install it when I need it. Thankfully, did all the markings and it is a 2 minute process to install it. I will say the company is very responsive. Bought a kit from Ebay that was supposed to have locking end caps. I emailed them and they sent a set immediately and without hassle.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 PM

Really? I hate mine... it makes a whistling noise above 40mph. Was going to leave it

When I first installed mine, they whistled bad also. I got home and realized that I did not install the black strips that snap in underneath the bottom of the cross bars. They look like the top ones but are smaller. No whistles. That has to be your problem.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: X1 XDrive35i
Quote:
When I first installed mine, they whistled bad also. I got home and realized that I did not install the black strips that snap in underneath the bottom of the cross bars. They look like the top ones but are smaller. No whistles. That has to be your problem.
Thanks. I have the strips on the bottom though. I have wondered though if positioning makes a difference. At least for the front bar, the position of the bar might introduce some forward tilt. Very annoying sound at highway speed.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Thanks. I have the strips on the bottom though. I have wondered though if positioning makes a difference. At least for the front bar, the position of the bar might introduce some forward tilt. Very annoying sound at highway speed.
Strange, you do have end caps on etc... Seems like the whistling would be coming from some type of hole.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto:
Cross bars and roof box

I ordered the BMW base rack. Found a great price on eBay. I'll let you know what I think once it arrives. Link below.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=171435473745

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by INTERP0L; 09-02-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Strange, you do have end caps on etc... Seems like the whistling would be coming from some type of hole.
Even stranger, I go to put my Rhino Rack roof rack back on to load up some lumber. NO NOISE this time. The only thing different is the locking end caps (instead of the standard ones) that Rhino Rack was supposed to include in my original shipment. I still will probably take them off when not in use but no whistling noise makes me much happier!

Last edited by jkrazy; 09-16-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Nice
Old 09-16-2014, 04:42 PM

[IMG]IMG_5058[/IMG]
Old 09-16-2014, 04:42 PM

[IMG]Untitled[/IMG]
Old 10-21-2014, 12:57 AM
taxpro

Mein Auto: BMW 540iA and X1 xDrive35
The Yakima website now claims that Yakima has a Whispbar flush bar system fit for the X1 (http://www.yakima.com/fit/baseracks/). Has anyone installed the Yakima Whispbar? If so, how does it compare to the Thule AeroBlade Edge?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 x1 35i M
I might add that the BMW crossbars have a front bar and a rear bar. The front bar has a little lip to help prevent whistling

I may not have ended up where I intended to go,
but I know I've ended up where I'm intended to be.
...Douglas Adams