Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 6 serie
bmw 6 series

Hallo,
I was wondering after how much total KM till my 6 serie will lose performance?
and after much KM mast i change the engine?
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i, 2009 650i
I've never heard of the V8 engines needing an overhaul or replacement from normal use. Lots of various leak repairs though. Just don't let it overheat. You might have other engine options in Holland. The inline 6s are usually bullet proof too.

Cheers!

2009 650i Sport
Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Are they really bullet proof!! nice. I didn't know. But you sad with normal use it won't lose performens. I geuss then KM counter can hit the 900.000 KM?
But if i will use my 6s for race compitation, after how much KM do i need to control the engine?

By the way the engine size of my 6s is 4.5. And i use it sometime (not a lot) for race!

Cheers

Last edited by Liko; 07-02-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:22 PM

That's why I said "normal use"

2009 650i Sport
Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
You will be fine if "racing" means taking the car on the track for lapping days. I do that a few times a year with the 650i and it holds up great.

If you are actually racing (door to door racing) then engine wear will depend on how much you modify the motor. Typically racers modify brakes, suspension, intake, cams, exhaust and programming of electronics which can greatly increase engine wear (but also adds power obviously).
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 645i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoom View Post
I've never heard of the V8 engines needing an overhaul or replacement from normal use. Lots of various leak repairs though. Just don't let it overheat. You might have other engine options in Holland. The inline 6s are usually bullet proof too.

Cheers!
What do you mean with "don't let it overheat"? What would you recommend to achieve this?

I don't want to deal oil leaks so maybe any driving tips could help?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
You will be fine if "racing" means taking the car on the track for lapping days. I do that a few times a year with the 650i and it holds up great.

If you are actually racing (door to door racing) then engine wear will depend on how much you modify the motor. Typically racers modify brakes, suspension, intake, cams, exhaust and programming of electronics which can greatly increase engine wear (but also adds power obviously).
Thats right, with racing i mean going to a track and doing laps. And thats 1 time is 3 month
Then that means that my 6s can go up to a million km on km counter?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci 2005 Convertibl
1,000,000 kms or 600,000 miles would probably be a first on many cars let alone a finicky 6 series.

At 20,000 miles a year you asking if the car will last you last you for the next 30 years. Something tells me you will have replaced just about everything under the hood by then. You keep it for that long and use it as your daily driver for 1,000,000 kms and we will all chip in and give you a prize though.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk645 View Post
1,000,000 kms or 600,000 miles would probably be a first on many cars let alone a finicky 6 series.

At 20,000 miles a year you asking if the car will last you last you for the next 30 years. Something tells me you will have replaced just about everything under the hood by then. You keep it for that long and use it as your daily driver for 1,000,000 kms and we will all chip in and give you a prize though.
I'm not asking exactly what you just sad. for the daily use i have a VW Passat 1.4 and for cruising and racing on the track i will using my 645ci. but you are saying when the KMs counter go up is the higher change to have replacing thing under the hood.
any idea at when i need to start replacing things under the hood.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 PM

Rook77,

The 6 series, just like many other BMWs has notoriously weak cooling system components. Many recommend replacing the radiator, hoses, expansion tank, water pump, etc. by 60000 miles. Since some of these components can fail catastrophically, like the expansion tank, and dump all the coolant in a hurry, you have to immediately stop and turn off the engine to avoid damage. The 6 doesn't have a coolant temperature gauge, so just don't ignore any overheating warning. Not doing so can be detrimental to the engine. Sounds like common sense, but I've read of many bad outcomes on this site. Do a search and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers!

2009 650i Sport
Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 645i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoom View Post
Rook77,

The 6 series, just like many other BMWs has notoriously weak cooling system components. Many recommend replacing the radiator, hoses, expansion tank, water pump, etc. by 60000 miles. Since some of these components can fail catastrophically, like the expansion tank, and dump all the coolant in a hurry, you have to immediately stop and turn off the engine to avoid damage. The 6 doesn't have a coolant temperature gauge, so just don't ignore any overheating warning. Not doing so can be detrimental to the engine. Sounds like common sense, but I've read of many bad outcomes on this site. Do a search and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers!
I will have it in mind and definitely will have those parts replaced when I hit that milleage.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Last edited by RooK77; 07-04-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:32 AM

so i need to watch out for overheating.
is there a way to solve any reparation around radiator, hoses, expansion tank, water pump, etc for good?
like buying the expensive one? or buying from a trusted company?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
The car does not overheat, but the cooling system components fail. Main problems are cracking of the expansion tank and the small hard plastic hoses that run along the top of the radiator. As the car ages the plastic becomes brittle then cracks. When the expansion tank goes it usually dumps a lot of fluid and you have to stop the car to prevent overheating. If your car is over 7 years old it would be a good idea to change the tank and small pipes. Basically anything made of hard plastic in this diagram:

The other problem is the leaking coolant pipe (cap with seal area at the top of the engine block). There is a gasket at the end of the pipe that fails and BMW charges about $11,000 to replace a $1 gasket because they pull the engine to remove the pipe. Keep an eye out for coolant leaking from the small weep hole on the passenger side of the front of the motor just behind the water pump. Part #3 is the pipe that leaks. Here is a DIY on installing an aftermarket fix that costs less than $2K - it has great pictures showing the problem:

'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 AM

$11.000 thats a lot of money. is it a option to change the hard plastic to rubber or something like that. so it can go for a long time?
and the pips for anti rust pips.

and if i use my 6 serie for racing like one time in half year would the chance for breakdown be lowered?

Like they say
Car is man's best friend
Old 07-06-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
It sounds like you're looking for someone to tell you the 6 series is a super reliable car with an engine that will last until the end of time. Sorry, but that is simply not the case.

If you're looking for a car with few weak points that is cheap to fix and can go on the track occasionally, there are a lot of other choices that would be much better than a 6 series. At least in Europe you have the 6 cylinders and the diesels which have just as many failure points but are not quite as expensive to fix. German V8's will drain your wallet quick if you're on a budget and neglecting problems can lead to more expensive issues.
- Is the engine durable? yes, but...
- Are there expensive items to fix? Yes, the cooling system - even more so on the V8 - and valve seals - also a V8 special. Dynamic drive module is another expensive component that has failed for some people on this forum.
- Can you cut corners on repairs? Not really. The car was very expensive when new and costs of visits to the shop are proportional to the cost of the car when it was new. Suggesting you can use a piece of 2 Euro rubber pipe to fix a multi thousand Euro problem is ridiculous.

If you want better reliability and a car you can still take to the track, look for a Honda S2000, Nissan Z, Mazda Miata.
If you want cheap to fix maybe a Peugeot 206...

Old 07-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
It sounds like you're looking for someone to tell you the 6 series is a super reliable car with an engine that will last until the end of time. Sorry, but that is simply not the case.

If you're looking for a car with few weak points that is cheap to fix and can go on the track occasionally, there are a lot of other choices that would be much better than a 6 series. At least in Europe you have the 6 cylinders and the diesels which have just as many failure points but are not quite as expensive to fix. German V8's will drain your wallet quick if you're on a budget and neglecting problems can lead to more expensive issues.
- Is the engine durable? yes, but...
- Are there expensive items to fix? Yes, the cooling system - even more so on the V8 - and valve seals - also a V8 special. Dynamic drive module is another expensive component that has failed for some people on this forum.
- Can you cut corners on repairs? Not really. The car was very expensive when new and costs of visits to the shop are proportional to the cost of the car when it was new. Suggesting you can use a piece of 2 Euro rubber pipe to fix a multi thousand Euro problem is ridiculous.

If you want better reliability and a car you can still take to the track, look for a Honda S2000, Nissan Z, Mazda Miata.
If you want cheap to fix maybe a Peugeot 206...
why spend thousand euro if it possible to avoid any problems. like normal use. i have my 6 series and i'm every happy with it. i was just wondering after how much KM shows the first fixes needed by using the car for cruising or occasionally racing. my 6 series has 114863KM on the counter. when i had bought the 6 series it had 110500 KM on the counter.

and the car for racing you mentioned are slow and i don't like them.
i'm not afraid repairs i only want to know when it will shows. sins i have the car, i only have change the oil of the car.

for only racing i have Renault Clio

Like they say
Car is man's best friend