Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
What's the cheapest usable BMW E39 SRS airbag scan/reset tool we can find on the net?

This quest for the cheapest usable BMW E39 SRS airbag scanner & resetter was prompted by the fact that many people come here for SRS airbag reset help only AFTER they worked on their seats or window regulators.

For example, even with this in the bestlinks ...
- What happens when people don't follow the DIYs and they disconnect the airbag before the battery or they connect the battery before disconnecting the airbag in seat and window regulator repairs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

People STILL make the same old mistake!

Most are faced with an $80 to $120 service call to the mechanic for their airbag to be reset.

Today, in this similar thread:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 - airbag light on

Jerry (uncmozo) found this $40 Amazon B800 BMW SRS airbag scanner resetter.

Forty dollars seems a good enough price to start a thread on locating the cheapest usable scanner/resetter on the market today (similar to this thread which found the $22 diagnostic code scanner that many of us keep in our glovebox)
- Cheapest CAN OBDII scanner on the net that reads DTCs, pending codes, & clears codes

So ... to kick it off ... may I ask:
Q: Does anyone use this tool yet & can you tell us how good it is?

Q: Is there a cheaper/better SRS scanner/resetter out there on the net?

QUESTION:
What is the cheapest usable BMW SRS airbag scan/reset tool we can find on the net?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 02-09-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added screenshots, links, and cross reference details.
Ads by Google
Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 90K
It worked for me, to reset an airbag light triggered by work done on one of the doors.
I bought it on Ebay for less than $30.00, including shipping from Hong Kong.

It reads fault codes, but I can't really say how well that works. For my use, with a known problem, it was a bargain. It also came with an adapter for the round OBD ports.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:40 AM

For the crosslinked record, there is an excellent DIY by cn90 with fantastic pictures explaining the SRS system, in detail, over here:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > DIY: 1998 BMW 528i, Replacing Driver Seat Belt Buckle (Pretensioner)

See also this nice PDF (originally obtained by cn90):
BMW_Marketing_document_titled: Everything_about_the_airbag_SRS_system.pdf

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 09-29-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 PM

Here's the current price for the SRS airbag reset scan tool:

And, here's a cheaper one from the same source:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srs_airbag.jpg
Views:	4575
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	347569   Click image for larger version

Name:	obd_srs_reset_tool.jpg
Views:	4926
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	347570  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
bluebee, why are you screwing around, trying to cheap out? Get the Peake SRS tool, and go have a glass of wine.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
bluebee, why are you screwing around, trying to cheap out?
As the first sentence of this thread explains, this thread isn't for me.

I don't even plan on buying any srs-airbag reset tool (unless my airbag light goes on).

We already have a thread on the best scanner, the most often recommended scanner, and the BMW diagnostic tools. We just didn't have a thread on the least expensive scanner.

In fact, the original reason for this thread was to create a place to point newbies to in order to to help those users who disconnected their door airbags without disconnecting the battery.
For example, this was posted just today: Airbag Light came on after regulator repair

Those users are faced with the stark choice:
  • Pay ~$100 for the dealer to reset the Srs/airbag light
    • (they get nothing out of the deal of any permanence)
  • Pay ~$30 to buy a tool to reset thesrs/airbag light
    • (they at least get a reusable tool out of the deal)
  • Pay ~$50 to $150 to buy a Peake Airbag (SRS) Scan/Reset Tool
    • (this costs about as much as a single trip to the dealer)
  • R5/FCX-3 Scan/Reset Tools for BMWs: engine fault-code reader and engine light reset tool. $149.99ea - Scans BMW Factory engine diagnostic codes (not OBDII codes). Resets engine lights, resets SI lights "oilservice and inspection" (will not reset CBS).
  • R5/SRS AirBag Scan and Reset Tool for BMW. Scans airbag diagnostic fault codes, resets SRS / Airbag light $129.99
  • R5A/B - $49.95 Basic service light reset tool for select BMWs only.
I know what I'd do if an SRS/Airbag light ever happened to me!

Last edited by bluebee; 10-27-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Bored Worker

Mein Auto: 540i/6 4/99
Can the INPA program reset the airbag light/SRS? If so that could be another Viable option...
1992 BMW K75s Cafe build
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtec View Post
Can the INPA program reset the airbag light/SRS? If so that could be another Viable option...
Good suggestion.

In the bestlinks is this:
- What scan tools reset the airbag SRS fault (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

In there, someone posted this, which intimates the following tools reset the SRS airbag light:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
airbag light: have the car scanned with a BMW-specific software/hardware interface:
  1. Carsoft
  2. PAsoft
  3. Peake (not the regular peake, but the one that does SRS)
  4. GT1/DIS
  5. INPA
Since INPA is freely available, I would think it qualifies for this thread. Of course, there is the little matter of the $50 to $100 cable required ...
Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1999 323i ZSP
Has anyone used this tool to diagnose the codes on our E46?
I need something that will both read the codes (so I know what to fix) and reset the light.
I don't really want to spend the money for the Peake srs tool If i dont have to. But I want something hat doesn't leave me asking questions either.

Or is there another option that is a sure fire way to read and reset SRS codes that is priced in between these products?

Any input would be great!

Thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1999 323i ZSP
I guess I'll be the Guinea Pig for everyone.
I bought it new from Amazon because I don't want to wait a month for it to arrive from china.
It is "supposed to" be able to read all SRS faults with accompanying code booklet.
At $36.99 I can't be too upset if it doesnt do what I want it to, we already know it can reset the light.
So if all else fails, I can always replace parts until it lets me reset the light
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj View Post
It is "supposed to" be able to read all SRS faults with accompanying code booklet
Seems to me it 'should' work for you - but - as you said, you'll have to let us know.

At least, the NEXT person will know the answer - once you post.

Good luck - and thanks for taking one for the team!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 PM

This list of BMW airbag related fault codes was posted today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat7355 View Post
My 1998 528i has an air bag fault code of "04 MRS drivers air bag". The scanner is an Autel MaxiDAS.

Does anyone have any idea what that may be?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_Airbag_Failure_Codes.pdf (12.2 KB, 266 views)
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
Here's hoping my just-ordered B800 will clear the air bag warning light on the used 2003 I just bought. The previous owner was fanagaling with the broken window regulator on the passenger door and I believe he inadvertently tripped the warning light when he disconnected the air bag from the door without first removing the negative battery cable. He never did replace the regulator and instead stuffed a pair of T-Shirts into the door to keep the window from dropping down (apparently, the $70 to buy a new regulator was too much for him since he was intent on selling the car).
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
stuffed a pair of T-Shirts into the door to keep the window from dropping down
Wow. It would be interesting to see a photo of that!

We do have a thread on how to temporarily keep the windows up, but I don't remember anyone stuffing cloth there, which will just get wet and moldy since water drips down there all the time!
- How to temporarily keep the window up (1)

For replacing the window regulator, you can type /regulator F3 in the bestlinks, which will net this, among others:

FRONT:
- One user's effort to diagnose, rebuild, and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1) (2) & the unintuitive trick to effortlessly loosen and tighten the astronomical cable tension without damaging the front door window regulator (1) & how to rebuild and restring your current E39 front door window regulator (1) & scores of pictures showing how NOT to remove & repair your front door window regulators (1) & how to replace just the rollers (1) (2)

REAR:
- BMW E39 rear window regulator replacement DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & McGyver fixes on the road (1) (2) & rear window regulator repair kits (1) (2) (3) (4) & what brand rear window regulators should I get (1) & where to get salvaged parts (1) & how to remove the rear window (1) (2) & how to adjust the windows after the repair (1) (2) (3) & how to temporarily keep the window up (1) & how to rewind the transmission case windup spool (1) (2) & how to slip the cable wires back onto the pulleys (1) (2) (3) & how to replace just the rollers (1) (2)

As for the airbag reset tool, let us know how it works out!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM

I already replaced the window regulator two days ago; that"s when I discovered the T-shirts! The seller did tell me the regulator needed replacing so at least that was disclosed before I bought it.

I did break the clips on the small covers for the screws on the door arm rest: any suggestions on where to buy replacement parchment/tan screw covers other than from the dealer? Can't seem to find an online source for them.

Anyways, I'm now working through my list of non-operable items on the car, such as this airbag warning light. I also have to troubleshoot the windshield washer and side view mirrors (won't adjust).

Last edited by Augster; 05-15-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:01 PM

For the crosslinked record, yet another thread was posted today on an inexpensive airbag light reset tool:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Airbag light reset, DID or Dealer?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
I got my B800 for $12 shipped from Ebay about 2 months ago.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
I got my B800 for $12 shipped from Ebay about 2 months ago.
Does it work? I also ordered one from eBay, should be arriving soon.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWalkinator View Post
Does it work? I also ordered one from eBay, should be arriving soon.
Yup. I have diagnosed and cleared 3 air bag lights, 2 e39's and 1 e46. The table in the book leaves much to be desired but for the price, I am willing to do the extra googling.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
Yup. I have diagnosed and cleared 3 air bag lights,.
that's all that matters.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 AM

I couldn't reset my SRS Airbag lights I got the following codes:

0d

After attempting to reset, the warning light goes off briefly, but comes back on.

The included B800 manual wasn't too clear on the what all the codes were, but if I read it correctly, the first code indicates to use Table 10, then following that, I get "01 firing circuit, driver airbag, Stage 1", "06 firing circuit, side airbag, front [l]ight side" (as spelled in the manual), "02 firing circuit, belt tensioner, driver side", and "0D Firing circuit, head airbag, Stage 2".
Old 06-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Received DB800, scan the code, comes back 06 60 05, clean the code in 2 seconds, works wonderfully.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
POS imo. Clears airbag light fine. But the code I keep getting is not listed in their cheap pamphlet book. Worthless.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM

In my case, I forgot to disconnect battery before I unplug side airbag connector when I was fixing driver side door lock actuator so I know what cause the stupid airbag light to come on. I am pretty happy with this cheap reset tool to get rid of airbag light.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
Same thing happen to me..mechanic removed regulator on my 2002 745LI without removing cables from battery
First..now my air bag night is on and also a weird message that says "fault in pass.-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter" on my screen...wtf!? Should I be worried? The passenger side door was never touched only the drivers side front door....will clearing the codes fix it all?