Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Get Rid of Run Flats?

After checking the price of a new set, I certainly will.

My next set will General Ultra High Performance All-Seasons - G-Max AS-03:

Front - 215/40/18 $134
Rear - 255/35/18 $173

For a spare, I'll buy a use wheel here:

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/135i_wheels.htm

and mount the cheapest tire I can find on it. The trunk has plenty of room, and I'll throw it in there.

There is another alternative, and that is a compact spare. I'll have to check the bolt circle and see what's available.

The odd couple!
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2013, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 128i convertible
Do it ASAP! I just did the same on mine -- can't even begin to explain the difference -- see my post for details...

And please keep us fellow run-flat-haters up-to-date w/ your findings related to a compact spare -- I'm considering getting one in addition to the electric tire repair kit.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post
There is another alternative, and that is a compact spare
My son has this compact spare.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...82E88-KIT.html

Also these two items.

http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FdB7QgodVwUAUA

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...nce+and+Safety

All of the above are temporary repairs until you can get to a tire shop and have your tire permanently repaired.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/tire-r...red-correctly-

Last edited by Norm37; 06-18-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Bon Vivant!

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

On my MX-5, I had the second item, the quick puncture repair kit, and a tire pump that worked off the cigarette liter. Guess what? I never had a flat.

On the 135i, I'll wear out the run flats and change to the Generals. BTW, I have the Generals on my Mercedes, and they are a great tire at a great price. Check them out on TR - you'll be impressed.

The odd couple!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 PM
135 Driver

Mein Auto: 135 Convertible
Get Rid of Run Flats?

I'm about to replace the RFT's on my 135 vert. I have the sports package and will upsize to the larger "335" set up. I've shopped around at local tire dealers and can get a set of Michelin Pilot A/S for right at $1000 out the door.

I did not look at the Generals, but it sounds like people like them and they are a good price. I am NOT a tire snob, so I don't have to have Michelins. How do the Generals match up?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:

Front - 215/40/18 $134
Rear - 255/35/18 $173
I just noticed those sizes are mismatched.

BMW recommended tire size.

Front 215/40/18
Rear 245/35/18

If you go one size larger on the rear (255/35) then IMO it is also best to go one size larger on the front (225/40)

Tire dimension calculator.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Last edited by Norm37; 06-27-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
If I had purchased all seasons, my plan was to get Contis. Seems like they were the highest rated and best priced. I don't remember looking at Generals, however,

I bought Michelin's latest high performance summer tires. Where I live winters are mild and I have a SUV to drive when things are bad. I don't carry a spare, however. Instead I carry a Viair 70P compressor (about $50 from Amazon with battery clip outlet) and a plugging kit. I bought the ARB kit and carry the key pieces in the Viair bag. My flats in 40 years driving have almost all been slow leaks and the compressor would get me home. And if it's a little worse I have the plugs. If it's really bad I currently have BMW assist and will probably sign up for AAA when that runs out. The Viair is a nice way to air up tires. It is fast enough I don't bother moving the car to my other driveway where I can use a 110V compressor.

Jim
Old 06-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Bon Vivant!

Using the 255/35/18 rather than the 245/35/18 on the rear isn't a problem. The reason I did this on the Mercedes is General doesn't make the stock size for it or the BMW (both cars uses the same OEM size).

With the 255, you get 10mm more of section width. Also .35 X 255 = 89.25 and .35 X 245 = 85.75 or an increase of 3.5 mm in ride height or .138 inches which is insignificant.

Tire Rack and other sites recommend this combination.

Finally, the BMW has slightly heavy steering (for me), so changing to a wider tire will aggravate it.

The odd couple!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Bon Vivant!

I guess I should have added I really hate these RFTs. They are noisy, and they hurt the ride of the car. I also have 18" wheels on the Mercedes with almost the identical tire sizes (see previous posts), and both cars, BMW and Merc, weight within a few pounds of each other. The Merc has conventional tires and has a fine ride. BTW, it also has the Sport Suspension which gives a firmer ride like the BMW.

The only fortunate thing I can say about the RFTs is according to the fellows down at Discount Tires, they won't last long! About 15K they say!

The odd couple!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 135 i
Quote:
After checking the price of a new set, I certainly will.

Front - 215/40/18 $134
Rear - 255/35/18 $173

For a spare, I'll buy a use wheel here:

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/135i_wheels.htm

and mount the cheapest tire I can find on it. The trunk has plenty of room, and I'll throw it in there.

There is another alternative, and that is a compact spare. I'll have to check the bolt circle and see what's available.

I have a 135i with non-run-flat tires. But rather than fill up the trunk with a spare wheel and tire that doesn't have its own home, I carry the tire inflator and bottle of sealant that came with my 2000 M5. It all lives in a little zipped up case, occupying very little space and fitting in the right side fender pocket.
Actually, I sometimes run the car with runflats (till I wear them out) on a set of after-market wheels, and sometimes non-run-flats on factory wheels. So far I haven't had any flat tires but even if I do on a runflat, I'll still use the inflator and sealant because it might save the tire for a repair, rather than have to buy two new tires after running one with no air.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
135 Driver

Mein Auto: 135 Convertible
Get Rid of Run Flats?

Does anyone know if the base model 128 16" wheels can fit over the brake calipers on a 135 w/ sport package?

I'm switching to non-RFT's and I have an extra 205/55 16 tire in the garage (from my wife's Honda) and I can get a $50 wheel that fits a 128. It would make a great spare..."IF" it fits.

Anybody try this before?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
That won't fit you got to have 17" rim minimum to fit on 135 brake kit.
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Running a run flat without air does not ruin the tire if you keep the speed down. My wife drove home, about 25 miles, after getting the TPMS low tire pressure signal and we got the tire plugged. It works fine. She also kept her speed under 45mph. If she had driven at 70mph, it might have damaged the tire but it did not at the recommended slower speed.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Bon Vivant!

Interesting. I thought RFTs had to be discarded after a puncture, but according to Bridgestone, not necessarily:

http://www.bridgestone.com/sc/runflat-system/qa/

In any case, I still find them inferior to normal tires for nose and comfort. I also noticed on my Bridgestone Potenza RFTs, the following ratings:

Treadwear = 140, Traction = A, and Temperature = A

I consider that pretty minimal and for sure with a 140 Treadwear, these tires should be history shortly!

The odd couple!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Bon Vivant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artec540 View Post
I have a 135i with non-run-flat tires. But rather than fill up the trunk with a spare wheel and tire that doesn't have its own home, I carry the tire inflator and bottle of sealant that came with my 2000 M5. It all lives in a little zipped up case, occupying very little space and fitting in the right side fender pocket.
Actually, I sometimes run the car with runflats (till I wear them out) on a set of after-market wheels, and sometimes non-run-flats on factory wheels. So far I haven't had any flat tires but even if I do on a runflat, I'll still use the inflator and sealant because it might save the tire for a repair, rather than have to buy two new tires after running one with no air.
If you use the sealant, the tire can't be repaired or reused. The first thing I did with my MX-5, was get a puncture repair kit (the car came with the sealant and a compressor).

The odd couple!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 135i coupe
Run flats-not for me!

Replaced the RunFlats on my 335 convert-very noticable improvement in noise reduction and handleling performance! As soon as the run-flats on my 135is coupe get a bit more wear-they will be replaced with real tires! I bought an other wheel for my 335i and will do same for my 135i coupe. (the 135i has more usable trunk space than my 335i convert did!)
Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: Pontiac G8 GT
I run Nitto NT05's ill never use another tires. you can't beat there price to performance. ntm also being a great occasional tires to drag on. though there only average in wet weather but if your like me and have a lot of sunshine. you cant go wrong.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 AM
DoctorX

Mein Auto: 2013 135is convertible
Get Rid of Run Flats?

I got a nail in my brand new (1000 miles) rear RFT on my '13 135is. I nearly soiled myself when I found out they are $400 ($380 tirerack). Very angry at BMW for not putting a more accessible tire on the car. Fortunately Gil at tirerack says my winter wheels from my old 335d sport will fit the 135 so I'm looking for some new tires. My favorite tire is the Advan Neova AD07 but it think the sidewalls are too soft for the suspension set up on the 135. I was thinking of trying the new Pilot A/S3 but with the winter wheels, seems like the A/S is unnecessary. Essentially, I'd like stiff sidewalls to match the suspension set up as closely as possible, but I'd like the tires to last a couple seasons. Any advice appreciated.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:56 AM

For summer tires, my pick was the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Same tire C&D rated best. Same tire on the new M6. For a high performance all-season, I would go with a Continental. They seem to have the best combination of handling and wear characteristics.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Bon Vivant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
For summer tires, my pick was the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Same tire C&D rated best. Same tire on the new M6. For a high performance all-season, I would go with a Continental. They seem to have the best combination of handling and wear characteristics.
Did you know that General is owned by Continental?

The odd couple!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
Not a big fan of Conti tires they were loud and don't perform that well can't wait for them to wear out and replace with Michelin Pilot super sport.
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Bon Vivant!

My Generals are as quite as a mouse!

The odd couple!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 135i
Run Flats are very heavy, so when you go to a conventional tire you will instantly notice less unsprung weight. Typically RF's last about 25K or so, but in the last 5K miles they get pretty noisy and tend to tramline. I always replace them on all my BMW's with Michelin's and the difference is amazing. Quieter, smoother, better turn-in, better road feel. And I then just carry a can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk....that's my spare.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: Series-1 F20 120d
Hi, I'm also planning to change the RFT with regular ones, mines are very noisy, in some types of concrete the noise becomes almost unbereable. I plan to fit "Dunlop maxx rt sport", as it seems they are getting high praise, seems to be low on noise, good on fuel saving, and grippy on wet weather. Not on the expensive side either. Can't wait for the RFs to go dead.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
The only point of caution for anyone doing this is simply suspension; the suspension in these cars is tuned for heavy run-flat tires with a very stiff sidewall. As a result, when putting non-run-flats (go-flats?) on a car that comes stock with run-flats you will find the suspension softer. For some that might be acceptable but for others they'll find it annoying as hell.

I am a bit of a track rat... I love to track my Bimmers and always have. I had an opportunity to test go-flats and run-flats on the same day on my car; a friend with a similar car offered to let me try... we were trying out two 135i's against each other to see whether the DCT or manual was faster. Anyway, when putting the go-flats on my own car and running them back to back with the run-flats I found that although my time was almost identical I felt I was working harder in the turns to keep the car flat. There was a floating feeling in the suspension that I found quite unnerving. Again, the handling was probably identical but I don't feel I'm a good enough driver to push my car all the way to the edge with confidence... so YMMV.

If you're going to put go-flats on your car, consider at least some firmer bushings. They'll make a huge difference (my friend put stiffer bushings on his car and it does improve confidence). Maybe even consider some new springs and/or better shocks.

For my part I just replaced my tires; the stock Bridgestones lasted me ~16K miles (difficult to say for sure because I drove some of the 24K miles on my car on winter tires!) and I replaced them with Pirelli P-Zero run-flats. I considered the go-flat route but didn't really want to put the money into the suspension on a leased car! Besides, if I decide not to buy out my lease at the end it'll need run-flats.

Having said that, if I do buy out my lease I am probably going to switch to go-flats and do all the requisite suspension mods. I'm not a huge fan of the cost of run-flats, and yes the unsprung weight can make a huge difference at the edge of handling. However, when not quite on the raw edge the softer suspension is a bigger issue for me because it reduces my confidence.

For the record, the P-Zeros provide a much better ride than the Bridgestones... and while they're not quiet, neither is the engine in the 135i in the first place! It still drowns out tire noise. I do find the Pirellis to be harder material which does reduce traction in a straight line; DCT launch control spins the tires a lot longer and squeaks them again on shift to second. But they're still in my opinion a much better tire than the Bridgestones that came stock.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net