Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 540i
Check Engine Light - Radiator Outlet Temperature Sensor

Need some help guys, so my electrical fan kept running full speed on my 2003 540i, so after doing some research thought i had a bad coolant temp sensor top of the radiator hose. So i removed the intake box, and unplugged the cable from the sensor to see if there was any rust or leak. However after plugging in the cable back into the sensor, my check engine light turned on, but my fan now runs perfectly fine. My peake reader showed that i had code 0F7D - Radiator Outlet Temperature Sensor. I ordered a new sensor from ecstuning and swapped out the sensor and reset my check engine light. However my check engine light keep turning back on with the same code.Now im wondering if unplugging the cable caused some kinda of issue. I checked the connections, theres no rust of corrosion. Maybe i stripped/ripped the cable? anything else i can check for?
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2013, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Need more info.
Does your Aux fan run at full speed when the engine is cold and the AC is off?
What about when it's cold and you switch the AC on?
I've had my lower sensor disconnected and didn't get any codes.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 AM

Ever since i tripped the check engine light, the aux fan has been working prefect. Only on the initial startup i get the full aux fan speed, then slows down. I havent had it go full blast though during ac or driving.

Im thinking maybe i had bad luck and got a faulty sensor. Or maybe the cables were worn out and when i unplugged it, it shorted somewhere on the cable. Anyone know how to test for short?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
On my X5 I had the dual temp sensor giving fits affecting the aux fan, and having overheating issues. It's the one on top of the WP. One element was toast.
The only way to determine is by using GT1 or INPA.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 PM

issue fixed, someone suggested to check the connector itself, i pulled back the boot on the connector and the wire was ripped from the connector. Put in a new wire and code is now finally cleared!