Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Gas blowing from my ac compressor after start up (very loud)

What could this be? I searched the forum. was that the oil venting or the Freon? solutions? also it no longer blows cool air.
Ads by Google
Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i,89 Por 930,Vett
Ye have sprung a leak. Freon has a small amount of oil mixed/running through it. You can only look for the leak and replace what is needed. GL
Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 PM

The Freon was coming from the top of the compressor out of a pressure valve of sorts. My aux fan has not been working so I think that's what led to system pressurization and ultimately failure. Will a quick recharge be a temp solution until I get my fan fixed? I might just put a little in to avoid another failure but be able to get some cool air.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Aux fan failure ---> HIGH head pressure ---> Relief Valve releasing R134a.
The 1996-1998 Aux Fan: you can replace ONLY the motor, search Siemens PM9047.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Thank you cn90. Even with the aux fan not working can I still recharge a little to get some cooler air rather than fry in the sun?

I tried recharging a little today and the pressure was in the red. This makes no sense to me because the pressure should be low if the Relief Valve let some out...right?. The nozzle to recharge is the low end and I'm wondering if the relief valve has tripped and closes a switch of sorts to retain the high pressure in the system on the low end to prevent my particular circumstance from becoming worse. Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I understand its important to fix the fan but I would like to get some mediocre ac in the meantime at least.

Last edited by Red13_Scion; 06-26-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i,89 Por 930,Vett
Im not sure what you mean by "relief valve". I have done air on many cars and have never seen a relief valve. But... i am new to BMW. As far as it being in the red.... was it running? It has to be to check the low side line. Or your readings mean nothing.
1st you have to check where it was leaking from and repair.... also repair the fan.
2nd you have to get it recharged (or you can do it ).
Take a photo of where it leaked from. Then post here.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 PM

Their is a bolt that goes directly on top of the compressor and it itself has a small hole on it that is a valve of sorts that is a safety feature that blows Freon out when the pressure gets too much. Yes the car was running, ac running on max, and I checked to make sure the compressor clutch was fully on before I attempted a small recharge therefore also noticing the temperature being in the red..around 70-75 psi (in red regardless of ambient outside temp). I will repair the fan, but my air conditioning has been running fine previously when the fan was still not operable. I want to restore the system to what it was originally(prior to last week) and will fix the fan soon after. Is their anything or any troubleshooting I can do to make the ac system work again? What are the logistics/physics involved with the high pressure I'm experiencing post compressor blow out? odd.

My thoughts are if My low side is reading high pressure my compressors shot..no bueno

Last edited by Red13_Scion; 06-26-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:52 AM

bump
Old 06-30-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: e39 estate
When the a/c is not on, high side and low side pressures will be equal. If you checking pressure with the a/c not running you will have equal pressure.

If the pressure relief valve is venting when you turn the car on a bad fan is not likely the cause sine it hasnt had time to build pressure. It would be suspected there are one of 2 things happening, either there is a restriction in the high side so the pressure is instanly reaching the point where its blowing off or you have a bad pressure relief valve. Although not familiar with bmw a/c systems I would inspect the orfice tube(if it has one) for clogging and if none is found replace the pressure relief valve. Either should be fairly easy and inexpensive.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Might as well start looking for an evaporator clean out DIY, then if that's clean I'll consider that the compressor is compressing nothing. Anyone know where the orfice tube is on the 528 e39 97? or if it even has one.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Aux fan failure ---> HIGH head pressure ---> Relief Valve releasing R134a.
The 1996-1998 Aux Fan: you can replace ONLY the motor, search Siemens PM9047.
Read the above. You have not sprung a leak and there is nothing wrong with your A/C other than a failed aux fan causing high system pressure and resulting in the pressure relief valve on the compressor doing its job. Replace the aux fan and have your system charged by a competent a/c shop. These BMW systems are very sensitive and just blasting in some R134a will yield more hot air unless you put in the amount on the green sticker at the front of the engine compartment. In other words the system needs to be evacuated and recharged with the correct amount. Recharging by pressure is very difficult with the changing ambient temps etc.

Even if you are lucky enought to put in the exactly correct amount of refrigerant, it will blow out the relief valve when the car is stopped for a few minutes.

Stop Mickey Mousing around and fix the system correctly. Or ride around in the heat!

Edit: There is no orifice tube on these systems. The expansion valve is accessed inside the car just in front of the evaporator. For the exact location research on Google of buy a Bentley Manual.

Last edited by johnstern; 07-04-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstern View Post
You have not sprung a leak and there is nothing wrong with your A/C other than a failed aux fan causing high system pressure and resulting in the pressure relief valve on the compressor doing its job.

Its been fine for 3 months and the fan has not been working at all. I started the car and shut it off and it blew, the system had very little time to build pressure (it had been sitting for 30 min before i started it up and shut it off). It was an abrupt failure happening shortly after engine cut-off making me think it might have been the valve on top of the compressor failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierestate View Post
If the pressure relief valve is venting when you turn the car on a bad fan is not likely the cause sine it hasnt had time to build pressure.
jognstern I will take your advice and do everything properly to the system however I want to explore and possibly find and solve any existing problems before I spend money for R134a recharge and calibration. Is there any troubleshooting procedures to check solely for the pressure release valve on the top of the compressor?

Last edited by Red13_Scion; 07-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:49 PM

bump
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
It sounds to me like a high-side restriction. My aux fan wasn't working for a long while and although it wasn't ice cold in beltway traffic, cooled perfectly when moving.

More refrigerant probably isn't going to help. When the system is off, both "sides" pressure should be near ambient temperature, i.e. if 90'f ambient, you should see around 90 psi.

Last edited by Fleetman; 07-05-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red13_Scion View Post
Is there any troubleshooting procedures to check solely for the pressure release valve on the top of the compressor?
I really don't know of a way to test the pressure relief valve. There should be some sort of marking on it saying what pressure it is manufactured for.

I don't know if you could buy an new valve if you wanted to replace it to be safe. I've had the valve in my old E23 blow off great clouds of R12 after shutting the car off and restarting after a few minutes. I had used the old method of filling the system until there were no more bubbles in the sight glass-old technology that is not sensitive. After the blow-off the AC system worked fine but there is no comparison between an old 1980 system and our e39 AC systems. The valve blows due to high pressure in the compressor, not necessarily in the system itself. Hence when you overfilled to 80 psi on the low side, the valve did not blow. Maybe if you shut the car off and turned it on right away you could recreate the blow off. I would not fool around like that. The valve protects the compressor and your car from a huge damaging mess.

I'd tell the shop what happened and ask them to evacuate and refill. I would think you'd be OK.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
it's very easy to check the valve with a proper set of gauges.....see what the high pressure is when the valve blows off. I'm not sure what the valve is set at on these but if it uses R134a, it's probably close to 400psi or so.....someone will chime in with the correct pressure. If it's blowing off "early" the gauge will indicate that.

I agree the fan isn't causing it....as stated, mine didn't work for quite a while and my ac continued working at 100'f ambient in stop-n-go traffic.