Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: '08 BMW 650i 'vert
What a week - two cars down

Well, this hasn't been the most enjoyable automotive week. I have two cars: an '07Nissan Pathfinder and a 650i convertible (with DC weather and traffic, two cars is almost a must if one of them is a 650 six-speed).

On Monday, the blower motor for the AC/heater in my Pathfinder started ticking loudly and vibrating. So, I take it to the shop, where I am told that the motor needs to be replaced because two mice decided to take up residence there and have destroyed it. Nice.

So, today, I am driving my 650 to work. I am approaching the entrance to the highway I use every day and the "Engine is hot - drive moderately" light flashes. I make it another 100 yards and the "Engine is Overheated - turn off engine immediately" warning appears and the car goes into limp mode. I pull into a nearby parking lot and arrange to have the car towed to the dealer. Hopefully it is only a thermostat or something relatively minor. I have an extended warranty and am hoping that a mechanical issue like this will be covered. If not, I am going to go nuts (considering what was represented to me by the dealer when I bought it and how much I paid for it).

So, in the span of two days, both of my cars go down with freak, unexpected repairs. Sorry for the long post, but I needed to vent a bit.

I'm hoping the rest of the week goes more smoothly.
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
The overheating on the 650 is probably from a cracked cooling expansion tank, or the recirculation pipe that goes across the top of the radiator. If one has failed, you need to go ahead & replace both of them. The parts run around 100.00 for both, & take about 30 minutes to replace. This will be a good time to replace the coolant, since it has found its way out of the system. Only use BMW coolant to protect the cooling system.

Good Luck!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 AM

The Service Advisor just called and said that the fault codes show that the fan failed, which caused the overheat. They also received a code showing that the oil became too hot and should be replaced. Of course, I just had the car serviced and the oil changed at the beginning of June.

I have an extended warranty that should cover the mechanical failure. Since the oil issue is a direct consequence of the mechanical failure, I hope that they cover that as well. I won't be happy paying for two oil change services in the span of one month. They also are going to do a coolant flush. In my view, that too should be covered by the warranty, but I am not holding my breath.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton63 View Post
The Service Advisor just called and said that the fault codes show that the fan failed, which caused the overheat. They also received a code showing that the oil became too hot and should be replaced. Of course, I just had the car serviced and the oil changed at the beginning of June.

I have an extended warranty that should cover the mechanical failure. Since the oil issue is a direct consequence of the mechanical failure, I hope that they cover that as well. I won't be happy paying for two oil change services in the span of one month. They also are going to do a coolant flush. In my view, that too should be covered by the warranty, but I am not holding my breath.
Sorry to hear about the bad day! The SA did not let you know what was currently going to be covered and not covered?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM

Just heard back from the SA. The warranty provider will cover the cost of replacing the fan, but not the cost of replacing the oil or the coolant flush.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 06' BMW 650i
@Patton,

That makes absolutely no sense, when changing the fan if it caused the oil to be too hot, THEN IT SHOULD BE REPLACED since the fan is what caused the problem. If not, go to another dealership until they get you taken care of, that is ridiculous. You might want to call the warranty up as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Typically aftermarket warranties are very clear on fluids, they only replace them if in the course of the repair of a part the fluids are lost. If you replace tranny sleeve and the fluids are drained to do so you get new fluids. If the oil system failed and they replace the part you would have to drain the fluids to do so, in that case you get new oil. This being a secondary consequence I guess they can worm their way out of it. This is the nature of aftermarket contracts, those who have them will hold them to the letter of the contract. And conversely the warranty company will do the same back.

On a side note, I have NEVER replaced oil after a car overheated. Ever . And I have had a lot of cars in my past that overheated, it is the price of my high mileage used cars through high school, college, and my early career. And why would you need to change the coolant? This just sounds like silliness to me. I think they are trying to scare up additional dollars.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Wilma

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Road, 650i, 328xd
Sorry to hear your bad news...Yorgi, posted a very descriptive procedure on how to change the oil if you are so inclined...I'm sure others have done same for coolant...Will save you a few $100's
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=508299
Old 07-04-2013, 01:52 PM

If you showed the insurance company proof that the oil was changed in the last month, I would think that they would cover replacing oil. This would be the best move on their part, to prevent a motor from catastrophic failure. An oil sample would be able to give you some clarity on the condition of the oil & engine. If the oil TAN level & metal particles are found in the oil, this should help clarify if any damage was done. Any time the car runs hot, you should get the engine shutdown immediately. When the cooling fan fails, it can do weird things!

Good Luck!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:21 PM

I am not happy that the warranty provider did not cover the oil or coolant flush. That said, I'm still having them done. Perhaps it is unwarranted, but my fear is that the oil will degrade faster or have some contaminant that could damage the engine in the long run. A couple hundred dollars now for piece of mind going foward is warranted.

Now, that said, I have to admit that I am rethinking having two cars - the 650 and a backup SUV. I am seriously considering getting rid of both and getting one vehicle that can be garage kept and, to the extent possible, satisfy me needs. I love the 650 and recently told my wife that I didn't ever want to be without a convertible to play with. But, the maintenance costs of keeping two cars - including one that is parked in my driveway and not in the garage - have been quite high in the last month or so.

I have no idea what could meet my competing needs of wanting an SUV for the bad weather in DC and power/sportiness to play with when it is nice. I am thinking perhaps a Porshe Cayanne or a supercharged Range Rover Sport.

Who knows, intertia may keep me from doing anything. But, I am really frustrated with my current situation at the moment.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM

You have insurance to cover the big ticket items on your 650. Having 2 cars tear up in one week is just bad luck. You may go another 2 years without any more problems, or 2 weeks? Look at all of the current recalls on all of the major car manufactures going on currently. No car is prone from failure!

Good Luck!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Having 2 cars tear up in one week is just bad luck. You may go another 2 years without any more problems, or 2 weeks?
Good Luck!
I know - both cars have been extremely reliable and have never given me any problem. I'm sure I'll calm down when I pick the 650 up in the morning, but at the moment, my emotions are running high. It would be an easy decision to get rid of them if I didn't like my 650 so much.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I think you just hit a string of bad luck and I would not let it get you down. If you like open-air driving there is nothing that can make you feel better than a convertible.

The A/C mice thing could have happened to any car new or old. It's also a rare occurrence total fluke incident. Maybe throw a few mouse traps in the garage if the truck is sitting in there for long periods of non-use just to be safe.

Personally I would look at the fan problem in a more positive light. The warranty covered the big-ticket expensive fix and the uncovered fluids can be changed for relatively little money if you go to an independent. I would think of it as good preventative maintenance and just consider the recent "wasted" oil change as an oil flush that will clean out any sludge you might have had in the motor.

If I had to go to a single car and wanted something that is good in the snow I would look at an AWD convertible like the Audi A5/S5, the new 650i with xDrive or even a 911 Carrera 4S. If you are determined to get a truck then maybe check out a Jeep Wrangler which is a lot of fun when opened up but they are a bit unrefined (and manly ).
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
I have always said my 6 is the best car I have ever driven and the worst car I have ever owned. I love it very much but it has been in the shop more than any car I have ever had. I come from a family who keeps cars a long time compared to most of my friends. Usually 8 to 10 years. Any car I owned for 8/10 years was in the shop less than my 6 has in 4 years.

I also had an extended warranty, fortunately all my repairs were covered. I had a couple of situations where I came out of pocket a bit, but nothing major. I was glad I had the coverage, it was BMW CPO and like any extended warranty it has it's limitations. But I knew them going into it so I never had a reason to complain.

With all that said I still love my 6 and still own it despite being completely out of any warranty coverage. Don't despair, while the timing is crappy the failure is minor. It happens.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:31 AM

To bring this story full circle: My SA called on Wednesday night and said the car was done. I couldn't get to the dealer before it closed, so I had to pick it up this morning - she said the keys and paperwork would be with the cashier. Well, I get there this morning and no keys/no paperwork with the cashier. The SA is off today, and they can't find the paperwork anywhere. After 20+ minutes of looking, they find it buried somewhere on the SA's desk. But, the keys aren't with it, so the hunt for the keys begins. In the meantime, they proceed to process my paperwork and I see that they are charging me a $100 deductible on the warranty work. When I bought the warranty (at the dealer), I was told that the deductible would be waived on repairs done at that dealership. When I raised this, I first received a lot of blank stares, but after another 20 minutes or so of discussion and "checking," they confirmed that my deductible indeed should be waived.

So, what should have been a five minute pick up turned into a 45+ minute ordeal, during which my already high frustration level with BMW and my car grew even higher . . . Then I sat in the car, put the top down, blasted down Rt. 95 at speeds far in excess of the posted limit, and just smiled. All thought of getting rid of the car disappeared.

Thanks for letting me vent and for all of the thoughtful/helpful responses.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:28 AM
V-8 Driver

Mein Auto: 2007 650i 6MT
Thumbs up NoVA Dealerships

Patton63,

I grew up in your area. The best SA I ever dealt with was w BMW of Fairfax, but left there for Sterling. I had good experiences at both places. Of course, there are probably many good indys there as well. I bought my 650i Coupe - which had regular maintenance beyond the free stuff at BMW dealers - off warranty. I have done the oil change, no real cost savings for me but a joy to get to know my car, and have been checking it out with my laptop, coding cable and software. With 70k miles, it looks like my cooling system is original - with a new thermostat. Perhaps I should do the preventative replacement of the tank and pipe.

In Germany they complain of "Martens" getting under the hood and chewing wires... Squirrels I think... I knew several folks who had expensive (non-warranty) fixes done thanks to these furry friends...

I share your assessment of getting one of these fine cars out on the highway - nice!

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.