Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i/325ic/328ic/540i/650
Just bought the BM Technic cable and software.

Ok so as per the suggestion of many on the board, I purchased the cable and software to do some serious damage to my car.

I have to say I am a little skeptical on whether or not I can actually use this thing. Seems somewhat daunting. But the price was too good to pass up.

One of my first tasks (besides learning the software) is to get the battery registered.

Other than that, I plan on using it to read fault codes and do some very minor changes to the car.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me with this. I am also willing to buy anyone dinner and drinks to help me in person. Would be cool to meet someone that shares the same passion for these cars as well.

So if you live around the NY/NJ area, are willing to help a newbie and want to get a great meal out of it (great place with dry aged steaks near me) then hit me up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app

Advertisement
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Here is a DIY! Just trust yourself!

Good Luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Registering_Battery_Using_DISpdf.pdf (497.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Have you already installed the software and tested communication with the car?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Re: Just bought the BM Technic cable and software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Have you already installed the software and tested communication with the car?
Not yet. Still waiting for the cable and usb stick to arrive.

Why is installing the software and communicating with the car an issue?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Not an issue, just curious where you are in the process. When you get it loaded and communicating let us know and we can help...in case you don't find a local who can walk you through it.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM

Re: Just bought the BM Technic cable and software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Not an issue, just curious where you are in the process. When you get it loaded and communicating let us know and we can help...in case you don't find a local who can walk you through it.
I might be a rookie when it comes to this software, but I am no idiot. I plan on using this board, with all the knowledge you guys have, to my benefit! I will definitely be asking tons of questions. You guys rock, big time.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofrank View Post
I might be a rookie when it comes to this software, but I am no idiot. I plan on using this board, with all the knowledge you guys have, to my benefit! I will definitely be asking tons of questions. You guys rock, big time.

I'm in the same position, have the software and cable on my desk and bought a new laptop. Waiting for a weekend where I have nothing going on to do the install and play with the program.

20" wheels 245/35 - 285/30, black grill and blacked out side markers, 10W white LED angel eyes, Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks,
AC Schnitzer pedals, Sprint Booster (what a waste of money), electronic exhaust cut-outs, red brake calipers (painted)
AFE air intake, door laser BMW logo projector lights, CSR front lip with carbon accents, carbon side skirts
Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymetzger View Post
I'm in the same position, have the software and cable on my desk and bought a new laptop. Waiting for a weekend where I have nothing going on to do the install and play with the program.
By the way, like the color combo of the car.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 AM

So I took the time yesterday, to do my first coding! Stop the madness you say? I know, I am surprised too. For my first task I decided to take "tampamark's" advice and get rid of the legal disclaimer on the nav screen. And what do you know? It worked! And get this, the car even started afterward. I didn't blow anything up. Unbelievable right?

So for my next trick, I decided to take "HerbP's" advice and register the battery. OK this was a little more challenging. When I opened the DIS and ran the "quick test" there were a hell of a whole lot of "x" next to each checked components. What the hell? Is this because of the water in the truck, the car not starting and having to get a new battery? Can I somehow clear all these, and run the DIS quick test again? Is that how it even works?

Back to the register battery, I think I ended up doing it right. Is there a way to confirm that?

Help me out!

Old 07-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
You can clear all of the codes with a quick delete. If any of the codes come back, you have a problem. You are correct that a "x" indicates a problem. After the quick test or quick delete has run, press the green arrow on the bottom part of the page. After the page has changed, you will see a test plan scheduled for the problem items. Run the test plan to find the problem with the indicated component. You will have to feel your way thru the test plan. Since DIS is running in the diagnosis mode, you really can't do any major damage.

Good Luck!