Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
BMW Post M-sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Two points.

Explain to me then the 640 Gran Coupe vs MB CLS500 BMW is traveling around the country with for the Ultimate drive event. - Both are 4 doors, the Benz has a power trunk the BMW does not. Certainly direct competitors. ( Except the 640 engine pales next to the CLS - bad choice IMO)

And it really is illogical to me to omit the power trunk on a coupe - with the small, hard to access back seats, it would seen MORE likely owners would use the trunk more right?

The mirror issue I think is a matter of style - large mirrors would be more functional but look out of place on the sleeker 6er vs the upright boxier 5er. Adding a power closer would not effect the styling obviously.
I don't work for BMWUSA, so I don't have slightest idea of why they do anything. All I know is that I wouldn't use a 640 to showcase the GC line-up and I wouldn't compare the GC to lower models like the CLS or A7. I would have picked higher cost coupe-like cars for comparison. The CLS is a dressed-up E Class and shares absolutely no lineage with a real coupe. The E Coupe is based upon the C class. The GC is an actual stretched coupe.

Now if you want to argue functionality, folding rear seat backs would be infinitely more practical than adding motors to close the 6er's tiny trunk lid.

Anyway what about a power trunk is functional? You don't actually get to walk away after you push the button, since doesn't always close fully. At least with a manual trunk you can close the trunk quickly and get back to driving, which is what a coupe owner should be the most concerned about. A power trunk is more of a functional statement that screams minivan practicality. I wouldn't want a back-up warning beeper, but some minivans have those too.

Anyway, if the power trunk sways your choice for a Mercedes CLS, I say go got it, it must have all of the other features of the 6er or did Mercedes leave off some must haves too?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I don't work for BMWUSA, so I don't have slightest idea of why they do anything. All I know is that I wouldn't use a 640 to showcase the GC line-up and I wouldn't compare the GC to lower models like the CLS or A7. I would have picked higher cost coupe-like cars for comparison. The CLS is a dressed-up E Class and shares absolutely no lineage with a real coupe. The E Coupe is based upon the C class. The GC is an actual stretched coupe.

Now if you want to argue functionality, folding rear seat backs would be infinitely more practical than adding motors to close the 6er's tiny trunk lid.

Anyway what about a power trunk is functional? You don't actually get to walk away after you push the button, since doesn't always close fully. At least with a manual trunk you can close the trunk quickly and get back to driving, which is what a coupe owner should be the most concerned about. A power trunk is more of a functional statement that screams minivan practicality. I wouldn't want a back-up warning beeper, but some minivans have those too.

Anyway, if the power trunk sways your choice for a Mercedes CLS, I say go got it, it must have all of the other features of the 6er or did Mercedes leave off some must haves too?

First - I completely disagree that the CLS is lower model than the GC. The Benz is based on the E class just as the 6 series is based on the 5 series. In fact I have read numerous articles stating the GC is dressed up, less roomy 5 series. And they go on to say the extra $24,000 or so cost of a 650 Gran Coupe over a 550i really only buys styling. Ditto the CLS over a E550. I also disagree a power trunk is not practical. I got a chance to live with one for a week last month in a MB 350 on a cross country road trip. Bags in and out of hotels, supplies, ect. Worked beautifully, never failed to power close and lock except if the trunk was overloaded and obstructed the closing. I was 100% confident walking away after hitting the close button. And even if you might think the trunk might be overloaded, it only takes approx 4 seconds for the trunk to power closed - is that really going to slow you down? I don't think so ,let's be realistic. And that 4 seconds is offset with not having the embarrassing slam and possible reslam of that 6er springy plastic trunk lid. And you know what, BMW should at least make the power trunk a OPTION - so folks like me ( and there are many) can opt for it, and folks in your camp who don"t want it, don't check the box- just like any other numerous options they offer.

As to your feature question, the CLS does not have soft close doors and I do not like their small 7" Nav screen or command interface as much as Idrive. And I don't want a sedan anyway. Buy let me say this - as they were presented by BMW at the drive event, I would without a doubt buy the CLS500 over a 640GC, get that fantastic V8 AND save around $5000 over the 6 cyl 640GC. And of course, I was disappointed not to have a 650 coupe to drive at the event, BMWUSA made the choices as to what to bring. I actually have no interest in the CLS. It is just my opinion they shot themselves in both feet with this comparison.

Last edited by mrjoed2; 07-01-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Do you think the motorized camera could be complicating the power close feature? and I have played with the power closer on my old man's MB E350, looks like the majority of the hardware is in the hinges/trunk area, not the boot lid. So I don't know would the lid size make any difference?
I stated in a different thread somewhere that it's not the close mechanism but rather the soft-close pull down for which there is no realestste. You cannot have the former without the latter, and yes, the softclose feature is adjacent to the latch in the boot lid and wants to occupy the same space as the camera motor.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
First - I completely disagree that the CLS is lower model than the GC. The Benz is based on the E class just as the 6 series is based on the 5 series. In fact I have read numerous articles stating the GC is dressed up, less roomy 5 series. And they go on to say the extra $24,000 or so cost of a 650 Gran Coupe over a 550i really only buys styling. Ditto the CLS over a E550. I also disagree a power trunk is not practical. I got a chance to live with one for a week last month in a MB 350 on a cross country road trip. Bags in and out of hotels, supplies, ect. Worked beautifully, never failed to power close and lock except if the trunk was overloaded and obstructed the closing. I was 100% confident walking away after hitting the close button. And even if you might think the trunk might be overloaded, it only takes approx 4 seconds for the trunk to power closed - is that really going to slow you down? I don't think so ,let's be realistic. And that 4 seconds is offset with not having the embarrassing slam and possible reslam of that 6er springy plastic trunk lid. And you know what, BMW should at least make the power trunk a OPTION - so folks like me ( and there are many) can opt for it, and folks in your camp who don"t want it, don't check the box- just like any other numerous options they offer.

As to your feature question, the CLS does not have soft close doors and I do not like their small 7" Nav screen or command interface as much as Idrive. And I don't want a sedan anyway. Buy let me say this - as they were presented by BMW at the drive event, I would without a doubt buy the CLS500 over a 640GC, get that fantastic V8 AND save around $5000 over the 6 cyl 640GC. And of course, I was disappointed not to have a 650 coupe to drive at the event, BMWUSA made the choices as to what to bring. I actually have no interest in the CLS. It is just my opinion they shot themselves in both feet with this comparison.
I lived with the F10 5 Series power close trunk for two years and yes it does fail it to close every now and then, and if you really want to look foolish, try pushing the button, walk around your car, jump in the drivers seat, start up the car, and then notice that the trunk is wide open. It's happened to me more than once. The trunk operation felt like it took longer than the time it took my car to go 0-60-0, so yes it felt like an eternity standing around waiting for my trunk to close all of the way. Finally, I've never had to slam my 6er's trunk and never felt a moment of embarassment using my trunk, which is not something I can say about my 5er's power trunk.

Now if you want the check the box option, sure that would probably work, but knowing BMW, it wouldn't be offered on the MSport Line and only the truly power trunk envious would opt to pay an extra $8 grand for the privilege.

IMHO. the CLS looks cheap when compared to GC and for some reason MB priced it that way.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM
General of the Universe

Mein Auto: Porsche Panamera 4S
who cares about a power trunk lid? I have one on my panamera. It's more of a novelty than anything. In fact when it's a tight fit I wish it wasn't motorized so then i could just slam it shut as it needs to be. WAY too much discussion on such a moot point. dunderhi had it right. want a power trunk lid, get a diff car.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I stated in a different thread somewhere that it's not the close mechanism but rather the soft-close pull down for which there is no realestste. You cannot have the former without the latter, and yes, the softclose feature is adjacent to the latch in the boot lid and wants to occupy the same space as the camera motor.
Thanks - well I guess there will be no power trunk unless they change the layout
Old 07-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I lived with the F10 5 Series power close trunk for two years and yes it does fail it to close every now and then, and if you really want to look foolish, try pushing the button, walk around your car, jump in the drivers seat, start up the car, and then notice that the trunk is wide open. It's happened to me more than once. The trunk operation felt like it took longer than the time it took my car to go 0-60-0, so yes it felt like an eternity standing around waiting for my trunk to close all of the way. Finally, I've never had to slam my 6er's trunk and never felt a moment of embarassment using my trunk, which is not something I can say about my 5er's power trunk.

Now if you want the check the box option, sure that would probably work, but knowing BMW, it wouldn't be offered on the MSport Line and only the truly power trunk envious would opt to pay an extra $8 grand for the privilege.

IMHO. the CLS looks cheap when compared to GC and for some reason MB priced it that way.
What can I say, the Benz power trunk worked great for me, maybe is better designed than the Bimmer version In any case really a matter of preference. Not sure if they did offer it as option why it would not be available on the M sport edition. I'm suggesting they make it a option just like the B & O or night vision or active seats or active steering or parking asst. I mean look at some of the features and options of the 6er, lots of stuff is not necessary, it's a upper end luxury coupe that caters to your needs. Many people just think a power or soft close trunk should be part of it.

And as I said, not seriously interested in the CLS but did not find it cheap in any way. Mercedes make excellent cars, I think it would be disingenuous to say otherwise.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

BMW Post M-sport Package

Quote:
Mercedes make excellent cars, I think it would be disingenuous to say otherwise.
I sold an MB SL550 to buy the 550xi, so I know what it looks like when MB does it right and the CLS is definitely not there, so I'm not being disingenuous, but being frank about what I see. Will the Designo treatment help? Sure, but the price advantage will significantly decrease.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I sold an MB SL550 to buy the 550xi, so I know what it looks like when MB does it right and the CLS is definitely not there, so I'm not being disingenuous, but being frank about what I see. Will the Designo treatment help? Sure, but the price advantage will significantly decrease.

Fair enough. I feel the same about Porsche, would be glad to get another, but the pricing is insane. Car & Driver just reviewed a Cayman s with a sticker of $93,000! Not a 911 mind you a Cayman. Everything is a option on their cars now. I refuse to play that game.

Anyway my next step is to see a M sport edition when it hits the ground, and also see what the incentives look like in a few months.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Finally, someone made me feel better.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
Finally, someone made me feel better.
Glad I could help.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
What I want to know is how they managed to fit an automatic trunk closer in the SL550. The trunk in that thing is pretty small, especially with the roof down. Probably a long shot, but maybe bimmertech will come out with a retrofit since they've been able to retrofit almost everything else

The auto trunk isn't something I care about, but I have gotten used to it on my 7 and think it'll be kind of weird adjusting to the 6 and hearing my college license plate cover rattle every time I slam the trunk. It's also provided a couple of good stories. About a year ago I was in a nightclub fairly close to the entrance and had a girl sitting on my lap. Was lucky enough to be a Ferrari-free night so the valet had parked my car right near the front door. When we all walked out a few of the valets were laughing, and said the trunk was going up and down randomly over the last half hour. Must have been the girl's butt on top of the key in my front pocket! That thing had some range back when it was new.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Two points.

Explain to me then the 640 Gran Coupe vs MB CLS500 BMW is traveling around the country with for the Ultimate drive event. - Both are 4 doors, the Benz has a power trunk the BMW does not. Certainly direct competitors. ( Except the 640 engine pales next to the CLS - bad choice IMO)

And it really is illogical to me to omit the power trunk on a coupe - with the small, hard to access back seats, it would seen MORE likely owners would use the trunk more right?

The mirror issue I think is a matter of style - large mirrors would be more functional but look out of place on the sleeker 6er vs the upright boxier 5er. Adding a power closer would not effect the styling obviously.
Did you drive the CLS550? Even with that motor, the car is a far inferior product to the 640i GC. The interior feels like an E Class with some MB Tex padding, the tech is archaic, the materials don't compare to the 6er, the suspension is clinical and just not very precise (and too floaty for a car so large of such a "sportily" cramped nature, IMO), the engine doesn't feel like it's getting nearly the potential it has squeezed out as it's mated to an imperfectly lousy 7G Tronic.

The 6GC is a much more precise, high quality feeling car through and through, IMO. I feel the 535i M Sport with M Sport suspension and SAT is a more high quality feeling car and far more balanced and precise than the CLS550. The CLS is very familiar to an E Class, just with an extremely cramped roofline. The 6GC is also very familiar to its 5-Series base, which gives it the edge over the E Class base right there as the 5 Series is inherently a vastly superior product to said E Class base, but being also based off of a true Coupe's interpretation of the F10 chassis gives it much better use of interior frontal headroom with a TRUE Coupe seating position.

To me, the 640i GC being priced higher than a CLS550 is for good reason, it's simply a more expensive inherent and holistic car. I know I highly dislike it but overall the new CLS design doesn't seem very well regarded as well (and not as regarded nor exotically perceived as the 6 GC's, that's for sure, and styling is what sells this segment.... and the GC's pricing speaks volumes right there) and sales are already majorly slumped, even though it's a MAJOR bargain compared to the 6 Series line which is outselling it handily (that says a lot, even though I hate quoting sales figures.... however at prices like these and in this particular segment, it can say a bit, especially when the CLS offers so much more on paper at such a lower price). M-B even makes the Sport Package a boring standard and gives no other aesthetic options for the car, while BMW offers more exclusive packaging like the M Sport which people willingly have to pay up for as it ads even further appeal and exotic-factor.... and the 640i still commands a higher price than the CLS550.

BMW not offering an auto-trunk closer on the 6 is annoying I'd bet, but IMO the biggest reason BMW should put one in the 6er is simply to pacify every 6-Series thread from turning into an auto-trunk rant.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 07-04-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Did you drive the CLS550? Even with that motor, the car is a far inferior product to the 640i GC. The interior feels like an E Class with some MB Tex padding, the tech is archaic, the materials don't compare to the 6er, the suspension is clinical and just not very precise (and too floaty for a car so large of such a "sportily" cramped nature, IMO), the engine doesn't feel like it's getting nearly the potential it has squeezed out as it's mated to an imperfectly lousy 7G Tronic.

The 6GC is a much more precise, high quality feeling car through and through, IMO. I feel the 535i M Sport with M Sport suspension and SAT is a more high quality feeling car and far more balanced and precise than the CLS550. The CLS is very familiar to an E Class, just with an extremely cramped roofline. The 6GC is also very familiar to its 5-Series base, which gives it the edge over the E Class base right there as the 5 Series is inherently a vastly superior product to said E Class base, but being also based off of a true Coupe's interpretation of the F10 chassis gives it much better use of interior frontal headroom with a TRUE Coupe seating position.

To me, the 640i GC being priced higher than a CLS550 is for good reason, it's simply a more expensive inherent and holistic car. I know I highly dislike it but overall the new CLS design doesn't seem very well regarded as well (and not as regarded nor exotically perceived as the 6 GC's, that's for sure, and styling is what sells this segment.... and the GC's pricing speaks volumes right there) and sales are already majorly slumped, even though it's a MAJOR bargain compared to the 6 Series line which is outselling it handily (that says a lot, even though I hate quoting sales figures.... however at prices like these and in this particular segment, it can say a bit, especially when the CLS offers so much more on paper at such a lower price). M-B even makes the Sport Package a boring standard and gives no other aesthetic options for the car, while BMW offers more exclusive packaging like the M Sport which people willingly have to pay up for as it ads even further appeal and exotic-factor.... and the 640i still commands a higher price than the CLS550.

BMW not offering an auto-trunk closer on the 6 is annoying I'd bet, but IMO the biggest reason BMW should put one in the 6er is simply to pacify every 6-Series thread from turning into an auto-trunk rant.
I did drive the CLS - as my post states, this is the car BMW is bringing to the Ultimate drive event around the country to compare to the 640GC. Let me say, I am not considering the CLS - it's what was provided. I disagree with your complete trashing of the CLS - first of all, if your going in as anti MB, fine, but that's not objective.And if your position is Mercedes- Benz does not make fine autos, no point in further discussion. But I found the Benz to be quiet, handled very well, solid as a rock and has beautiful fit and finish. The engine and tranny combo is excellent even if it's a 7 speed. Yes the roofline is lower than the 6GC, and interior slightly tighter. And I stated the command system is behind Idrive.
And I;m not sure why the bashing of the E series - one of the best, and best selling midsize luxury cars on the market, every bit the equal to the 5 series.
And I stand by what I said - if I HAD to choose between a CLS550 and 640GC - no question the CLS - I start with the engine, and that twin turbo 4.6 V8 is fantastic, and makes the 3.0 BMW 6 cyl for $5000 more look like a mouse in comparison. That being said I'm interested in a 650 coupe M sport Edition.

Last edited by mrjoed2; 07-04-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Dark Knight

Re: BMW Post M-sport Package

Quote:
I did drive the CLS - as my post states, this is the car BMW is bringing to the Ultimate drive event around the country to compare to the 640GC. Let me say, I am not considering the CLS - it's what was provided. I disagree with your complete trashing of the CLS - first of all, if your going in as anti MB, fine, but that's not objective.And if your position is Mercedes- Benz does not make fine autos, no point in further discussion. But I found the Benz to be quiet, handled very well, solid as a rock and has beautiful fit and finish. The engine and tranny combo is excellent even if it's a 7 speed. Yes the roofline is lower than the 6GC, and interior slightly tighter. And I stated the command system is behind Idrive.
And I;m not sure why the bashing of the E series - one of the best, and best selling midsize luxury cars on the market, every bit the equal to the 5 series.
And I stand by what I said - if I HAD to choose between a CLS550 and 640GC - no question the CLS - I start with the engine, and that twin turbo 4.6 V8 is fantastic, and makes the 3.0 BMW 6 cyl for $5000 more look like a mouse in comparison. That being said I'm interested in a 650 coupe M sport Edition.
I came from 3 E Classes in a row and can attest it's not at the level of the 5 Series. I can (and have) write a book on how the 5 feels and acts objectively classes above in literally every single way (without exaggeration). Mercedes doesn't make them like they used to hence the drastic loss of market share and uncharacteristic about-face facelift on the E Class which happened for a reason.

My take on the CLS is that it's unimpressive for the price aside from that motor which did me little good considering the chassis, trans and tech around it. The 640i GC for an even higher price even though not making me feel like giving up my 5 Series for, impressed me much more so.

Point being, you get what you pay for in this segment, and design although subjective is factored into that. The CLS "bargain" yet slouching sales must show many do have the same thoughts I do.

Last edited by K-A; 07-04-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I came from 3 E Classes in a row and can attest it's not at the level of the 5 Series. I can (and have) write a book on how the 5 feels and acts objectively classes above in literally every single way (without exaggeration). Mercedes doesn't make them like they used to hence the drastic loss of market share and uncharacteristic about-face facelift on the E Class which happened for a reason.

My take on the CLS is that it's unimpressive for the price aside from that motor which did me little good considering the chassis, trans and tech around it. The 640i GC for an even higher price even though not making me feel like giving up my 5 Series for, impressed me much more so.

Point being, you get what you pay for in this segment, and design although subjective is factored into that. The CLS "bargain" yet slouching sales must show many do have the same thoughts I do.
Well, Honestly I don't think anybody makes them like they used to. And as I said I'm not advocating or planning to buy a CLS. I will just say again, IMO it was a very bad decision to put a V8 CLS up against a 6 cyl 640GC in a nationwide event. As far as sales go, I recently read Benz and BMW are battling out exact sales figures for the last quarter as it's a very tight contest overall.

Anyway I eagerly await the first 650 M Sport Edtion to hit the ground to try it out. Was disappointed they announced the July incentives, and only a $1500 current owner credit, nothing for new to BMW buyers - maybe something in August, But more likely will wait for the inevitable holiday discounts. And by the way, if you have read about the new "M sport Edition" for all 6 series models - it is basically a disguised $$7600 price cut. This has to be in response to slowing 6 series sales. Not that I'm complaining mind you,( so glad I waited) but shows all the European brands are under pressure.

Last edited by mrjoed2; 07-05-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 MB CLS550
BMW Post M-sport Package

I would love to know what you guys think is cheap about the CLS. Some of the things I see posted here are pretty funny.

You do know you can upgrade leather and materials etc on the CLS like any BMW and at the event they have a stripper CLS. I can tell you the combo of materials and colors I have in my CLS gives a very Bentley like look inside.

Driving wise the 550 I had was a sleeper in front of the CLS.

Past:
2013 MB CLS550
2011 E92 335ix
2012 F10 550i
2009 E92 M3
2008 E92 M3
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Well, Honestly I don't think anybody makes them like they used to. And as I said I'm not advocating or planning to buy a CLS. I will just say again, IMO it was a very bad decision to put a V8 CLS up against a 6 cyl 640GC in a nationwide event. As far as sales go, I recently read Benz and BMW are battling out exact sales figures for the last quarter as it's a very tight contest overall.

Anyway I eagerly await the first 650 M Sport Edtion to hit the ground to try it out. Was disappointed they announced the July incentives, and only a $1500 current owner credit, nothing for new to BMW buyers - maybe something in August, But more likely will wait for the inevitable holiday discounts. And by the way, if you have read about the new "M sport Edition" for all 6 series models - it is basically a disguised $$7600 price cut. This has to be in response to slowing 6 series sales. Not that I'm complaining mind you,( so glad I waited) but shows all the European brands are under pressure.
Fair enough and I'm just sharing my views on the CLS as well of course. It is interesting to note that BMW has so much confidence in their 640i GC to pit it against such a on-paper (due simply to engine specs) superior choice being the CLS550. However, to me it shows just how much BMW feel their GC line is over the CLS. After driving both myself, I feel like the CLS's engine didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things when accounting for total packages. To me it kind of shows both brands showing their classic ideologies: Mercedes puts in a big engine to show higher specs, but BMW creates a much sharper, more alluring and far more balanced overall tool. I wrote a whole thing up about my drive with the CLS and claimed that it felt like the engine was just kind of placed in a car that had never met such an engine before. The 640i feels very "right" with its N55HP engine, IMO, which is what truly matters to me.... though when going WOT on both cars, of course the 640i's powerplant doesn't match that "excessive power force" the CLS550 has which pulled so hard it literally gave me a headache (too bad I didn't feel the engine's power or any sharpness unless actually flooring it). I can only imagine the 650i GC (though to note, I'm a big advocate and fan of the I6 powerplant on BMW's, probably even more so than the V8's). I also think that BMW probably put both together to pit the styling together. I and seemingly many feel the 6GC's presence and overall design cohesion are a step above.

Oh, as for sales, I meant Worldwide sales. Mercedes has lost a TON of traction as they were forever the highest selling Euro Luxury Brand. A couple of years ago BMW took that title from them, and then a year or so ago even AUDI pulled ahead drastically and M-B are far behind in 3rd place. That is a catastrophic amount of market share loss from a brand that had that "title" in a stronghold just a couple of years ago and even more importantly has a *much* larger product portfolio than those who are outselling them as a whole. Again, I don't like to use sales to justify things as I'm a car enthusiast, however these days I'm just calling a spade a spade and M-B really dropped the ball in so many ways, inside and outside, IMO.

Last edited by K-A; 07-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 650 ix
The numbers I'v seen show 6 series sales up which I would guess is GC growth. 2-doors are likely down a bit but the slack is moe than taken up by growing GC numbers. Me, I'm not a fan of the GC's looks but others certainly are. Good for them and good for BMW .... as long as they don't ever kill the coupe!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
While I was just on the 6-series builder checking to see if the price on the ARS has been updated yet, I noticed that the 6 M Sport is getting the M6 steering wheel now. I guess that's an upgrade in terms of usability, but that thing looks like something out of a go-cart in my opinion.

Took a look inside some of the CLS while a lady friend of mine was test driving an SLK, and I liked the 6 interior much better. I didn't notice a leather dash on any of them. Makes a big difference when all of that plastic is gone. I do think the front of the CLS is very good looking, especially those multi-tiered LED headlights. The rear - ehh.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 07-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:

It's July....what is your plan for a new 650i??
Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
It's July....what is your plan for a new 650i??
Hey Ace,

My plan is simple. Wait until 8/1 and see:

1) What BMW incentives look like when they roll over - if they actually have any for new owners not just current ones.

2) I am a USAA member, and their BMW discount amount revises 8/1 as well. So see what that is. Current amount off invoice is $2K, hoping that increases( last year they had about 8 months when it was $6K off.

3) Get exact ED pricing. Apparently exact ED pricing has not been released yet for the M Sport Edition according to my dealer. (BMWCONFIG does not have it yet either)

4) And of course #1 can be combined with #2 & #3, so want to see which looks better when I factor in airfare for ED. If no good incentives, and no increase in USAA will likely wait for inevitable holiday discounts. I would like to drive a Sport Edition to see the new digital dash. and other tweaks like the new M wheel, launch control, ect.

How about you?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Hey Ace,

My plan is simple. Wait until 8/1 and see:

1) What BMW incentives look like when they roll over - if they actually have any for new owners not just current ones.

2) I am a USAA member, and their BMW discount amount revises 8/1 as well. So see what that is. Current amount off invoice is $2K, hoping that increases( last year they had about 8 months when it was $6K off.

3) Get exact ED pricing. Apparently exact ED pricing has not been released yet for the M Sport Edition according to my dealer. (BMWCONFIG does not have it yet either)

4) And of course #1 can be combined with #2 & #3, so want to see which looks better when I factor in airfare for ED. If no good incentives, and no increase in USAA will likely wait for inevitable holiday discounts. I would like to drive a Sport Edition to see the new digital dash. and other tweaks like the new M wheel, launch control, ect.

How about you?
I would only qualify for incentives offered by BMW. The 2013 are at aggressive prices, but the dramatic upgrades for 2014 July builds give me pause to purchase a 2013. The latter are moving out slowly. I, too, like to see the upgrades.

I assume airline pricing will around $2000 to Europe. I am not sure when best to go to Europe for delivery, and how much time in advanced to book the flight.

Is there enough time between July and December for dealers to offer 2014 aggressive pricing on these July builds?

Have you decided between a GC and a coupé at the right price?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
I would only qualify for incentives offered by BMW. The 2013 are at aggressive prices, but the dramatic upgrades for 2014 July builds give me pause to purchase a 2013. The latter are moving out slowly. I, too, like to see the upgrades.

I assume airline pricing will around $2000 to Europe. I am not sure when best to go to Europe for delivery, and how much time in advanced to book the flight.

Is there enough time between July and December for dealers to offer 2014 aggressive pricing on these July builds?

Have you decided between a GC and a coupé at the right price?
I say go for a 2014 at this point. There are not much in the way of incentives on the 2013 now anyway. And with the M Sport Edition you get a automatic $7600 ($8K for me with tax) discount off with the included packages.
I have seen Airfare from FL to Munich as low as $1400. And I am willing to bet that Holiday incentives will be offered by end of Oct. Plenty of time to do a ED by March when 2014 production ends. And yes I have decided on a 650i coupe- M Sport Edition, Imola red/Ivory Nappa/Fine line oak/20" 373M wheels
Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
I say go for a 2014 at this point. There are not much in the way of incentives on the 2013 now anyway. And with the M Sport Edition you get a automatic $7600 ($8K for me with tax) discount off with the included packages.
I have seen Airfare from FL to Munich as low as $1400. And I am willing to bet that Holiday incentives will be offered by end of Oct. Plenty of time to do a ED by March when 2014 production ends. And yes I have decided on a 650i coupe- M Sport Edition, Imola red/Ivory Nappa/Fine line oak/20" 373M wheels
Did you say Imola M Sport with 373M wheels ??

Imola Red
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M Sport
20" 373 Wheels
NON-RFT/Nitto 555ZR-Extreme
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser/Gloss Black Wrap

Last edited by ShakeDaddy; 07-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.