Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
set of staggered 19 inch SOLD

Picked up new set of wheels for the M I bought last month. Don't know what they are called but I don't need them. They have some rash courtesy of two previous owners but if you are handy you can clean them up. CENTER CAPS ARE NOT INCLUDED

Left front:

Left rear:

Right front:

Right rear:

Any thing $250 or better gets these as I have enough wheels I can't use.

I can box and ship but you pay.

Last edited by JayMac; 06-13-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: SOLD
Ads by Google
Old 06-09-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 330i zhp
How much shipped to 30040? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Picked up new set of wheels for the M I bought last month. Don't know what they are called but I don't need them. They have some rash courtesy of two previous owners but if you are handy you can clean them up.

Left front:

Left rear:

Right front:

Right rear:

Any thing $250 or better gets these as I have enough wheels I can't use.

I can box and ship but you pay.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 AM

Fed EX ground looks to be @$80. Maybe I can find someone on uship but based on the size and weight $80 is pretty cheap. Unless you want to drive and then in that case i would come halfway.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
more detailed pics?

Any chance you have more detailed pics so I can get a better idea of their condition? Also what is the shipping charge to 27603? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 PM

I will shoot some detailed shots. All have a little rash, courtesy of the two previous owners. For Raleigh I can deliver them myself for the gas money so you're looking at @$50. I have a new set of Alufelgens waiting here with new rubber so these (the old wheels) can go cheap.

Center caps are not included.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 AM

$300 delivered then? I'll take them. Will PM you.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 AM

You crack me up. I just went out and took 15 pictures.

http://s723.photobucket.com/user/fst...tml?sort=6&o=1

First 5right rear
Second 5 left rear, worst one
Last 5 both fronts combined

Have a look and get back to me
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 AM

Here are both fronts. All open to interpretation of what is acceptable. I am probably tougher than most as I hate seeing listing for wheels that are in "great condition" and then proceed to tell you about all the damage. I think these are worth a look at what I am asking. Listed low because I want them gone.

Wheel one:

Wheel two: (curb side)

Wheel three. This wheel has some lifting of the coating or sealer that is on the wheel.

Wheel four (curb side) Some lifting of the sealer on the wheel

Wheel three is the worst. To put it into perspective it is the second photo in the original listing. Not perfect but if it is perfect you want they wont be listed for $250. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 AM

Yeah I actually saw some of the pictures, as you were taking them apparently, from your photobucket link. I'll definitely take them. I'm just going to use them as project wheels to try and refinish myself as I have free time. From everything I've read it's going to involve a lot of patience and elbow grease but since they will be extra wheels I can afford to leave them sitting around as I work on them.

Last edited by Son; 06-13-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Ok, for anyone considering refinishing these wheels themselves in the future, fair warning, it's a lot of work.

Most of the work is in stripping the clear coat without damaging the dark grey/black paint on the inside of the rim and the sides of the spokes. My first attempt was the lazy approach painting on paint stripper on with a paint brush being careful to keep it on the top surface only. That ended up being a major fail as it left bits and pieces of missed clear coat here and there to remove later and in some areas I accidentally got it on areas I was trying to avoid anyway. On later attempts I ended up taping down everything...that worked out much better but takes awhile to get all the tape on properly. Still that clear coat is some mean stuff...it took several applications of pain stripper and some elbow grease to get it all off. That took the better part of the last 3 weeks (hour here and couple there as I had time). All said I probably spent a good 3 hours per wheel doing this...I'm a bit anal so perhaps someone else might take less time.

Over the last 3 days or so I was able to sand and polish the wheels to a nice shine. Sanding took less than an hour for all 4 wheels. I got most of the road rash out but there where a couple nicks that were deep enough that I couldn't sand them out. Will need to find some filler for it that can polish up to a shine. They aren't very noticeable so I may just live with them. Polishing was also pretty easy...maybe 30 minutes per wheel tops using a polishing ball (Mothers brand) with Mothers metal polish.

Here are some pics in case anyone is interested.

One of the front wheels:

One of the rear wheels:

Last edited by Son; 07-05-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 AM

Keep up the good work. Those things look great!