Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 06-30-2013, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: E34 520
New member, Having some trubble with E34

Hello! My name is Alen, and Im from Norway!

I recently got my first BMW, its a 1990 E34 520 with 150Hp stock, (Slooow xD)

I have some trubble with it, and im wondering if anyone here has some problem solvers? :P

Problem 1:

The fan inside the car does not blow at all when im standing still, and when im driving i can feel a light "breeze" It is the same from 1-4

Problem 2:

The indicators on the leftside is strange, because only the front one works, and i tried to mesure the volts and the two others are 0.00..

Problem 3:

Previous owner said that he had changed the fuelpump that lies inside the tank, and that he did not push it all the way to the buttom so when the car is under 20 liters it starts going on just 5 of 6 sylinders.. Strange!!

Problem 4:

I have a oil leak, and i think it comes from the oilpan gasket, Now, the problem is that i've never changed the oilpan on one of theese, so after looking under i saw a crossmember.. Do i need to take it off?, or is it possible to slide it forward and off? or does anyone have a "How to"

Im also posting a picture of my E34 since i've bought it i have put on yellow lamin X on the headlights and tinted my side indicators! :P

Thanks for the help!
Ads by Google
Old 06-30-2013, 07:40 PM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar92 View Post

I have some trubble with it, and im wondering if anyone here has some problem solvers? :P

Problem 1:

The fan inside the car does not blow at all when im standing still, and when im driving i can feel a light "breeze" It is the same from 1-4

Problem 2:

The indicators on the leftside is strange, because only the front one works, and i tried to mesure the volts and the two others are 0.00..

Problem 3:

Previous owner said that he had changed the fuelpump that lies inside the tank, and that he did not push it all the way to the buttom so when the car is under 20 liters it starts going on just 5 of 6 sylinders.. Strange!!

Problem 4:

I have a oil leak, and i think it comes from the oilpan gasket, Now, the problem is that i've never changed the oilpan on one of theese, so after looking under i saw a crossmember.. Do i need to take it off?, or is it possible to slide it forward and off? or does anyone have a "How to"

Im also posting a picture of my E34 since i've bought it i have put on yellow lamin X on the headlights and tinted my side indicators! :P

Thanks for the help!
1. depending on your Hvac system it could be your Blower or resistor. The resistor is year dependant. I don't know what came in the 520. but that's what I'd check first.

4. It's easier to remove the crossmember but you have the tools you can lift the engine up slightly. Enough that you can slide the oil pan out.
Again I don't know the 520 very well but if similar to the m30 engines that's how to get it out.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Maybe some of the other e34 owners from across the pond can help....Paging ANDY!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Drive her like an ///M

Send a message via Skype™ to Dionte
Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 535i (manual)
Re: New member, Having some trubble with E34

Nice car, where did you get those headlights from? They look sweet!

Sent from my SGH-T839 using BimmerApp mobile app

http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/imDionte/media/My-car-custom-tag_zps9eb10966.jpg.html?filters[user]=135053710&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM

I got them when i bought the car.. They were white but i got some yellow lamin x on the round ones, and got smoked thint on the indicators :P
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Sorry mate didn't spot this thread! I advise reading the sticky i made about posting for the first time here, I generally dont bother with threads with titles like this one ha. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=597282

Anyways, dont think the 520i was offered in the americas. the 520i was a tax project really. a lot of EU countries have extra road tax for vehicles over 2000cc, and/or over a certain value then they get hit with luxuries tax. the UK and Australia fall into those catagories respectively, there will be others. so the 520i was made primarily for company cars to keep the running costs down. infact, 520i Executive is actually a model, and as far as i know that badge is exclusive to 520i E34 and E39. much like the Individual, Clubsport, and ///M brands for the wider lineup.

Because of this, the most 520i have a lot of 520i specific parts to keep the costs down. the different more basic gauge cluster is the most obvious, and a lot of mechanical bits under neath, like specific fuel tank (ill get to that in a minute) and single line ABS for the rear wheels, not independant. I say most, because some 520i are mechanically identical to 525i just with a different motor. but most arent.

So theres a bit of background about your car in case you are interested.

At this point I would like to disclaim, this is my experience with my own E34 which was a 520i before its conversion, and that had an M50 engine from the factory. your car may be different or the same in some areas, a certain degree of research may be required. Whenever working on your car wanting new parts, I strongly advise removing the part and giving the part number on the back of whatever part it is to your parts dealer, in case it is a specific part.

1/ Yes it has a specific heater box. it is a fully mechanical box unlike other E34 which have some degree of electronics. actually its very similar if not the same as the E30 heater box. unfortunately for you I recycled one about three weeks ago, got sick of looking at it . the resistor block is specific too as far as i know, but i could be wrong, but whatever type it is, its likely to be your problem as stated above
2/ im not sure what this problem would be. could be the general module (you guessed it, specific) or possible the indicator relays (not specific), a bit hard to diagnose. the left hand side of the car and the right hand side are separate curcuuits. What happens when you press the hazard button? this should help rule out some things.
3/ fuel pump itself im not sure if it is specific, but the tank and carrier/cradle for the pump are specific to 520i. of course, the PO could be right too, and its just installed wrong. only one way to find out, take a look!
4/ Your 520i is a 1990 looking at your OP, so should be an M20. If its an M50, the procedure pretty much the same as below, common sence for slight variations etc. on all M20 engines, including 525i and your 520i, yes you need to remove the pan completely to change the gasket. some other engines/cars you don't, you can just unbolt and lower it and manoeuvre the new gasket into place. The oil pickup on the M20 prevents this being done easily. My tip for you would be to unbolt one of the engine mounts, RHS from memory, and jack that side of the engine up about 1-2 inches, this will help with clearance getting the pan out. if you have an engine crane/hoist, unbolt both and lift the entire engine up 1-2 inches, will be very easy now. While the sump is off, give it a good clean out, make sure there are no metallic parts in there, and check the oil pump nut is done up nice and tight, and the split pin is present. if not, would recommend coming up with a solution to hold the nut on. This was a recall specific to M60 and M70 engines, but that lesson is good to apply to all the BMW engines of this error, 'just in case'. only other thing, during this procedure, you MUST do this in an area where there is minimal airflow, no wind/dust etc. while the sump is off, the innards of the engine are exposed, and thats where you dont want dirt and other foreign bodies.

Hope this helps you out! good job i dont have many tasks to do this evening and can help ya! not usually this charitable with my time but i know the 520i are a real pain so there you go.

Andy

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 07-02-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 320i M52 1996
There is no difference between the 520 and 525 E34s when it comes to the fuel pump or its holding bracket/cradle/carrier etc, for both the M20 and M50 engines. At least for the Euro models. The only fuel related difference is the fuel pressure regulator located along the fuel rail at the engine..the larger engines are 0.5 bar higher. There is also no way for the pump to be partially inserted~ it is either clipped into the bracket fixed to the bottom of the tank or not. Even if you don't succeed in clipping it in (it can be a little tricky), the fuel pump's intake is still practically at the bottom of the tank....no way it would stall at just 1/4 tank.

So OP, your no3 issue sounds suspiciously like a failing fuel pump that overheats and stutters when it is no longer bathed in fuel during under half tank levels. Please see http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705176

Your previous owner put in a used pump on its last legs when the old one died, or a new pump that's made in China, or simply lied about the whole thing (my suspicion). Only use new oem fuel pumps for your replacement. It only costs $110 shipped for the pump itself. Labour 1 hour. Your current pump will be totally dying on you soon so I would not delay.

Last edited by Mamij; 07-02-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the advises guys! I took out the floater today and noticed that the pump wasnt even in the bracket... it was just floating arround, so i put it back in the bracket with the clips and everyting and now she runs like a beauty! I had some testing ofc, after doing loads of burnouts ( Wet roads ) She still runs on all 6 !!

So now i can take the fuelproblem away!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 AM

Smoke from manifoild

Hey guys!, i've got a new problem today...

I was driving along, and noticed a burning smell, kinda plastic smell.. and when i opened the hood it was smoking from the manifoild area, right where the exhaust goes under the car.. There was abit oil there but not realy much..
Old 07-04-2013, 08:05 AM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
Re: New member, Having some trubble with E34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamij View Post
There is no difference between the 520 and 525 E34s when it comes to the fuel pump or its holding bracket/cradle/carrier etc, for both the M20 and M50 engines. At least for the Euro models. The only fuel related difference is the fuel pressure regulator located along the fuel rail at the engine..the larger engines are 0.5 bar higher. There is also no way for the pump to be partially inserted~ it is either clipped into the bracket fixed to the bottom of the tank or not. Even if you don't succeed in clipping it in (it can be a little tricky), the fuel pump's intake is still practically at the bottom of the tank....no way it would stall at just 1/4 tank.

So OP, your no3 issue sounds suspiciously like a failing fuel pump that overheats and stutters when it is no longer bathed in fuel during under half tank levels. Please see http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705176

Your previous owner put in a used pump on its last legs when the old one died, or a new pump that's made in China, or simply lied about the whole thing (my suspicion). Only use new oem fuel pumps for your replacement. It only costs $110 shipped for the pump itself. Labour 1 hour. Your current pump will be totally dying on you soon so I would not delay.
Wtf? Again?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-04-2013, 09:09 AM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
Quote:
Hey guys!, i've got a new problem today...

I was driving along, and noticed a burning smell, kinda plastic smell.. and when i opened the hood it was smoking from the manifoild area, right where the exhaust goes under the car.. There was abit oil there but not realy much..
Was there oil or did you spill oil on the exhaust manifold previously?

If so that would explain the smoke and plastic smell. It will burn off. The smell and smoke is the worst of it.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 07-04-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:31 PM

I think my gasket is broken, the valvegasket.. No problem to change xD

But i've bought a new engine.. a 525 engine, since a friend of mine said everything matched..
Old 07-06-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
Quote:

Problem 1:

Problem 2:

Problem 3:

Problem 4:

Thanks for the help!

Problem 1
It happen to me a few months ago in the summer, driving home from work with A/C full on. After taking off from the traffic lights the fan just stopped. I went online and I found the most terrifying and expensive "might-be" problems. First thing I did, I checked the fuse and it looked ok, I replaced it with a spare available in the fuse box and gave it a go, still not working. After accepting the fact that it might be an expensive repair and researching the options and steps to be taken, I got an idea: what if I will try with a working fuse from my other car? I did try and guess what? It worked. Both initial fuses used were finished, although they didn't look like it. I hope it will be as easy for you as it was for me.

Problem 2
You should rewire, if you don't get a computer error about indicators not working, just pull new wires from the front indicator to connect it with the side and rear indicator.

Problem 3

It is possible, if you want I will take some photos of the fuel pump I took out of my tank when I replaced it to have an idea of what's inside. And you will just have to push it in in the right position, I did that fuel pump change and I can give you more info there
Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirma View Post
Problem 1
It happen to me a few months ago in the summer, driving home from work with A/C full on. After taking off from the traffic lights the fan just stopped. I went online and I found the most terrifying and expensive "might-be" problems. First thing I did, I checked the fuse and it looked ok, I replaced it with a spare available in the fuse box and gave it a go, still not working. After accepting the fact that it might be an expensive repair and researching the options and steps to be taken, I got an idea: what if I will try with a working fuse from my other car? I did try and guess what? It worked. Both initial fuses used were finished, although they didn't look like it. I hope it will be as easy for you as it was for me.

Problem 2
You should rewire, if you don't get a computer error about indicators not working, just pull new wires from the front indicator to connect it with the side and rear indicator.

Problem 3

It is possible, if you want I will take some photos of the fuel pump I took out of my tank when I replaced it to have an idea of what's inside. And you will just have to push it in in the right position, I did that fuel pump change and I can give you more info there

Ill check the fuses for problem nr 1

The fuel is fixed, it was just loose inside the tank, so i took it out and pushed it down the clips..

Problem 2 is alot of work, but ill try that aswell