Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Factory hours

Does anyone know when the factory is open and operating M-F and weekends or just durning the week?
Ads by Google
Old 07-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Factory hours

My dealer told me its 24*7. Not sure about major holidays

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-06-2013, 03:02 PM

perfect!!!! My X3 went in to production started yesterday and if it only takes a max really 40 hours im almost there!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Factory hours

Yes, it is under 40hrs. Congrats on your new car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermann882 View Post
perfect!!!! My X3 went in to production started yesterday and if it only takes a max really 40 hours im almost there!!!
Well maybe.

My car went into production (status 150) on 12 April and exited the factory (enroute to port of exit) on 17 April. The "build date" on my car is 16 April. My guess is that you will see your car finished about 10 July. There is body build, paint and assembly, I think if you add up all the hours in each area it is 40 hours. However, it will only be 40 clock hours if all the parts are ready to start the assembly immediately after it exits the paint shop.

Now yours may come out faster (or slower), but about five calendar days from "production started" to "enroute to port of exit" seems typical here. BMW builds X3s using JIT logistics. For example, the seats are unloaded off the truck from the subcontractor who makes the seats (Lear, if I recall correctly) directly onto your vehicle in the assembly area.

So there are some "holding areas" where the production of your vehicle may/will stop if pieces/parts are not ready in the proper queue order.

Nonetheless, they managed to churn out almost 14,000 X3 in Spartanburg in April 2013.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Great news!!! I live in upstate ny so not to far away from the factory... I called the 800 # and they said the 18th?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:29 PM

For the record my order is 35i vermilion red m sport, tech cold weather,premium,dhp.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
After reading this I can't help but comment about the many wonderful and lasting memories I have from touring the Spartanburg factory in the early and mid 2000's, as part of the "Z3 Homecoming" events. It was just fascinating to watch the robots assemble cars (Z4s and X5s) starting with nothing more than sheet metal stampings. We were able to get close enough to the robots to actually get some welding sparks on our shirts. I certainly know the robots do not move one mm unless they are specifically programed to do so but they really give the impression of being very intelligent when watching them; especially when multiple robots work together to perform a single task or when one robot directly assists another robot. The remainder of the line where the engine was mated with the body and the car was assembled from all the many parts was just as fascinating. The culture of the BMW workers on the assembly line also was refreshing. They did not hesitate to smile and nod or even say hello as we passed their stations. We were allowed free reign to eat lunch in the cafeteria (better than many restaurants I've been to) and that meant I typically was able to share a table with line workers and, of course, got to talk with them. Everyone we spoke with appeared truly grateful to work for BMW and all, without exception, seemed to take pride in what they did. That meant a lot to me with respect to the quality of the cars built there. The tours did not go through the paint shop but we did get to see some of the pre-painting prep activities through a large glass wall. Ken Sparks (the BMW manager that organized the Homecoming events) deserves a lot of credit for making these tours (and the entire long weekends for that matter) so incredibly successful. I believe Ken is now in Woodcliff Lakes but wherever he is I hope the best for him. Thanks for letting me reminisce.

The Homecoming events had a "Tech Tent" set up on one of the days. It was possible to take your Z3/Z4 through the Tech Tent and have the people that assembled the car address nagging problems. The issues they dealt with covered most anything from water leaks to electronic issues. The issue had to be something that could be addressed in a half hour or so. The tent was staffed by all volunteers. These people did not get paid for being there. Nevertheless, they were wonderful and appeared to truly enjoy helping the customers that bought the cars they build. They even had a station for dent removal.

Last edited by RhoXS; 07-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.