Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
F80 M3 Strips Down for Hot Weather Testing - Final Bumper Design Revealed

Production F80 BMW M3 bumper caught on camera

BMW has had to strip off all but the smallest bit of cladding on the next generation F80 M3 to go hot weather testing. This strip down was needed to get realistic tests of the cooling system and in turn gives us a peak at the final F80 M3 bumper design. When compared to the spy shots with the black cloth from a few days ago we get a much better idea of the design. If you look closely at both pictures you can see that BMW is still hiding a few things.

BMW F80 M3 bumper revealed - Designed similar to M6

More pictures of the F80 M3 hot weather testing

On the fully exposed picture (top) the upper half of the left and right openings appears to be covered up to hide the M6 style whiskers or flippers. We of course also can see how BMW has covered the inner section of the headlight where it will connect to the kidney grills. Expect the grill slat count to be fewer then what is shown but I would not expect a double slat M6 design style.

More pictures of the F80 M3 Bumper at Auto Motor Sport

M Power for the F80 M3 will come from an inline 6 with twin turbos pumping out an estimated 450 hp and 425 ft-lbs of torque. Rumors of a triple turbo or v6 engine appear to have been nothing more then rumors. The 450 ponies will be sent to the rear where an active, computer controlled rear diff will help put the power to the ground and keep even the throttle happiest driver pointed in the right direction. A dual clutch transmission (DCT) is a given, the question is will BMW produce a manual gear box version for those of us that like to row the gears?

With the feature of the front bumper all but in the open a 2014 release date as a 2015 model year for the F80 M3 sedan come into question. With the E90/E92 M3 BMW rolled out the sedan and coupe around the same time. With the F30/F32 and F80/F82 BMW is already splitting the naming with the sedans retaining the 3 series naming and the coupes grabbing the 4 series badge. With the break from tradition why not release the M3 sedan early to bring it to market faster? Time will tell, but stay tuned for more spy pictures of the F80 M3.

With the M3 design all but known, what do you think. Is it too much like the M6 or is it just right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-F80-M3-Front-Bumper-Exposed.jpg
Views:	4517
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	335791  

Last edited by tim330i; 08-07-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
It looks like the new M3 got rid of the F30 headlight connected to the front grille look, smart move BMW.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Actually looking at the latest picture, they seem to be there just the same as the current F30. Look closely at the camo, seems like the headlights continue under it towards the grill.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
It looks like the new M3 got rid of the F30 headlight connected to the front grille look, smart move BMW.
I can't find the picture right now but one of our high res images shows that they have bits of cladding covering up the lights going all the way to the grill. The headlight design will look like the F30 sedan. I personally like it!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Thanks for ruining my day
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
I have tried to keep an open mind about the coming M3/M4. However, as details have been revealed, I feel more apprehensive. It is a given that dimensions of the new car will be larger. The front, as revealed by spy pics, will be aesthetically challenged given the F30's droopy nose and seemingly angry crossed eyed lenses. The M6 inspired details are nice, but I have serious reservations, if these styling cues can sufficiently compensate for the less than artful design of the F30's front end, that unfortunately establishes the foundation for the M3/M4 design parameters. The front end of the car, coupled with the pastiche of clumsily executed interior details of the F30- including the tacked on pseudo Audi tablet - as opposed to the very purposeful styling of the E92 M3, offers a less than inspiring prospect.

The new car may promise more absolute performance, but the critical factor for me will be BMW's ability to maintain the feeling that you are driving a machine that miraculously feels as if it is alive. The essence of the E92 M3 is the sense of "connectivity". I am not one who considers turbo charging an anathema, but turbo charging represents another significant potential impediment that requires complicated solutions. What works for an F30 may not prove satisfactory for an M3/M4. Instead of building on the brilliance of the E92 M3 - the new F82 will offer a new, but not necessarily a more engaging vision.

BTW shouldn't this thread be posted on the M Forum? ...perhaps, maybe, it is more appropriate that news about the new M be posted here given the changing demographics of BMW and given this forum reflects this change.....sad. I adore my M3 and I find it especially sad that I may be forced to return to Porsche after owning six BMWs. I sincerely hope BMW finds within itself the will and inspiration to continue to build for enthusiasts the ultimate driving machine.

Last edited by Capobranco; 08-08-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Mini Countryman S
I really don't like the headlight-to-kidney design change. It looks like something Kia or Hyundai would do. Seems a very odd and unfortunate design choice.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
The kidney grill and lights ....... probably are not most important to me. The Driving Experience/Conectivity is most important.

I understand that many of us have specific expectations; but these few images do not make or brake the interest in the newer variant.
I find that BMW is looking for more customers and if marketing goes that direction; the connectivity may be lost for many of us.
I keep my mind open, but silently wish for upgraded performance over luxury.

Lets wait and see.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
You gents may be setting yourself up for dissapointment unnecessarily.

Yes, it's larger. The f30 though has a better chassis than the e90. We are being promised a new m3 that is lighter than the one it replaces and has a more technologically advanced powertrain.

It's fine to be concerned about turbocharging - there's a reason porsche builds a turbo and a GT3 and the gt3 is the more track-ready version. But give it a chance to be driven first.

Lastly, BMW has already notably improved the steering on the '13 f30 vs. the '12 via simple software. I'm assuming the m3 is going to have a much more sport-oriented set of suspension/steering bushings and electronic calibration. There's no reason to innately fear the steering at this stage.