Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: X
Sorry folks...because the dealer won't touch this, am having to do all this DIY...

The box up front....there is a white box about 4 x 3 inches tucked up above the brake pedal, or a larger black box, must be 8 x 6 inches mounted vertically just forward of the firewall, whcih also has a flat ribbon wire out of it .... which is the correct box, which has the black/white wire to take the 12.6v non-modulated feed off to the Prodigy ?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Well, this sounds like a mess for someone like me that doesn't know anything with electronic/electric stuff. I wanted to install a Tekonsha P3 brake controller, I sure hope a good trailer shop will be able to install it without a problem
Old 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Well, I installed the OEM hitch yesterday on my X3, and to my surprise, the electric brakes on my RV trailer works like a charm without a electric brake controller

Damn, the X3 really pulls the RV trailer like a charm, I dont even feel it in my back, compare to Saturn Vue I had!!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2011 335i Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BMWX3 View Post
Well, I installed the OEM hitch yesterday on my X3, and to my surprise, the electric brakes on my RV trailer works like a charm without a electric brake controller

Damn, the X3 really pulls the RV trailer like a charm, I dont even feel it in my back, compare to Saturn Vue I had!!
what is size/weight of your trailer?

thx

2011 335i Convertible M-Sport - Silver - Saddle
2007 550i Sport - White - Tan
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga View Post
what is size/weight of your trailer?

thx

It's a popup camper trailer, 10Ft, all loaded, the weight is around 2200lbs(trailer only).
Old 07-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
So, what harness do you have?

Hi,
I am glad your wiring worked right out of the box. What is the month of manufacture of your x3?
The reason I am asking this is because when I order the OEM kit from my BMW dealer in Spokane, I was given a kit that is supposed to be for Sept2009 and later, although my X3 is earlier than that, and the part # was different.
My trailer brakes are locking up when I depress the brake pedal, so I think the lighting module may be different.
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m View Post
Hi,
I am glad your wiring worked right out of the box. What is the month of manufacture of your x3?
The reason I am asking this is because when I order the OEM kit from my BMW dealer in Spokane, I was given a kit that is supposed to be for Sept2009 and later, although my X3 is earlier than that, and the part # was different.
My trailer brakes are locking up when I depress the brake pedal, so I think the lighting module may be different.
Thanks!
You will need a brake controller, after all, I will need one also, I found out mine is not working properly either
Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
06BMWX3,
I did install a brake controller, and it seems to be working fine. I connected the controller power wires directly to battery, and tapped into the OEM wiring harness we installed earlier: I snipped the brake signal line in the wiring harness, plugged the brake light signal to the side closest to the BMW and the brake controller modulated signal (blue wire) to the side closest to the trailer. I did have to make a new harness to bring the controller into the cabin, to comply with regs. Although hubby and I are very light brake users, it does seem to work fine after some tests we did and a 1000mile trip we took since my last post. Good luck with your install.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 AM

Thx for the info, i'll print that and bring it to my installer, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m View Post
06BMWX3,
I did install a brake controller, and it seems to be working fine. I connected the controller power wires directly to battery, and tapped into the OEM wiring harness we installed earlier: I snipped the brake signal line in the wiring harness, plugged the brake light signal to the side closest to the BMW and the brake controller modulated signal (blue wire) to the side closest to the trailer. I did have to make a new harness to bring the controller into the cabin, to comply with regs. Although hubby and I are very light brake users, it does seem to work fine after some tests we did and a 1000mile trip we took since my last post. Good luck with your install.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
E Brakes question

I just installed the OEM hitch this past weekend on my 06 BMW X3. I too will be getting a trailer that requires E Brakes. It sounds like Snowbud found the work around to getting E brakes to work with the X3.

Can anyone answer some Questions:

The Black wire with what looks white or very light yellow stripe. Is Snowbud referencing one of the wires in the wiring harness that plugs into the trailer control module (The one that comes with the OEM hitch kit?) If so it appears to be pin #1 from the wiring schematic he posted on the forum.

If not, where is this module in the back that provides this wire (The third tail light circuit with the solid 12.6 volt power?

How did Snowbud tap off this wire? How did the wire hook up in relation to the 7-pin hitch connector and/or the Prodigy controller?

What Brake Controller model should I use?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Bimmer Lover

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0
Where is the wire for the 3rd brake light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBud00 View Post
One small note, when the stock BMW wire harness is installed. Connected to a standard 7pin trailer with brakes. When you touch the brakes, is applies full brakes to the trailer, and it will scare the crap out of you!!! No, you cannot take the signal from that wire as the input to the electronic brake controller. It's a pulsing or modulating voltage, and that's with no brake applied. That's why I have to go from the brake box. And yes, it will void the warranty of that box (and what ever else BMW can try and void out if they think they can get away with it) when I hook up the controller to it. Sucks, but there is nothing or no where else to pull the 12v signal from.

Will be posting the documentation soon on the BMW Brake box and where it is
I have three of the four Prodigy controller wires connected: 1- 12V battery (black) through a 20 amp fuse. 2- Ground (white) to chassis ground. 3- Trailer brake (blue) to pin 2 on 7 pin trailer connection. (I clipped the white/black wire from the OEM trailer light controller after ohming out to ensure that wire goes to pin 2 and butt spliced blue wire to trailer side of that wire)

Is there access to the 3rd brake light wire in the back? If not, how do I access the wire harness referred to in SnowBuds post?

I have an '04 X3 3.0
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Bimmer Lover

To heck with it!! I'll do it my way!

I tried triggering the Prodigy off of the brake wire (black/white from the OEM trailer module to pin 2 of the hitch connector - blue electric brakes) and the Prodigy pulsed the electric brakes with no brake pedal applied.

I decided that if the car doesn't have an unmodulated 12V brake signal, I'll make one. I stopped at Radio Shack and picked up a push button momentary (normally closed) switch and went home to see where I could install it next to the OEM brake switch. I fabricated a little 'L' bracket with a hole in it to mount the switch, mounted it to the bracket that is on top and in front of the brake pedal arm so that the button would be depressed by the brake arm when the brake is not pushed and releases when the brake is pushed. I tapped off of the 12V (black) wire on the Prodigy harness to one side of the switch. I ran the other side of the switch to the Prodigy trigger input (red).

Presto! An analog brake signal on a BMW!!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfstone View Post
I tried triggering the Prodigy off of the brake wire (black/white from the OEM trailer module to pin 2 of the hitch connector - blue electric brakes) and the Prodigy pulsed the electric brakes with no brake pedal applied.

I decided that if the car doesn't have an unmodulated 12V brake signal, I'll make one. I stopped at Radio Shack and picked up a push button momentary (normally closed) switch and went home to see where I could install it next to the OEM brake switch. I fabricated a little 'L' bracket with a hole in it to mount the switch, mounted it to the bracket that is on top and in front of the brake pedal arm so that the button would be depressed by the brake arm when the brake is not pushed and releases when the brake is pushed. I tapped off of the 12V (black) wire on the Prodigy harness to one side of the switch. I ran the other side of the switch to the Prodigy trigger input (red).

Presto! An analog brake signal on a BMW!!
I am duly impressed!

What you've done is fast becoming a lost art. I come from the era of 6 volt batteries, mechanical voltage regulators, drum front brakes, oil bath breathers, and vacuum wipers that would slow down when you accelerated. Everybody did stuff like that back then.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Guys, if I have a modulite trailer module (from e-trailer), can I hook a prodigy controller directly to it, without (additionally) messing with X3's wiring?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Bimmer Lover

Doesn't look good....

As you can tell from the length of this thread, hooking up a trailer brake controller is a real pain in the a$$ on the X3. The real difficult part is triggering the Prodigy with a 12 volt brake signal. My X3 is an 04 and it appears that the 3rd brake light is modulated like the rest and I was unable to use that signal for my trigger. The Prodigy requires 4 wires. 1. 12 volts battery positive (Black wire through 20 amp fuse). 2. Chassis ground (White wire). 3. Trailer brake voltage (Blue wire to pin 2 of a 7 pin trailer connector). 4. 12 volt brake signal (Red wire) normally tapped off of the brake pedal switch. Unfortunately BMW uses a computer controlled pulse modulated to control brake lights. This is why I had to add my own switch to the brake pedal to get my trigger.

I'm pretty sure the module you are using from etrailer won't have the trigger available but it may. I'd need to see the wiring diagram to find out
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the info. The module i am using connects directly to the battery and also taps to rear lights. So, lights are used to trigger the module which draws the current from the battery and this way does not trip the X3 monitoring systems. So, if I get the 12V brake signal off the module, I guess it should be good for prodigy...

Anyway, does anyone has any experience with the wireless prodigy? What are the benefits?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Bimmer Lover

That's great! Keep us posted on how that works. The same method may work for the factory module brake light output.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:41 PM

I just ordered the wireless prodigy. Should have it in a week or two. Will keep you posted!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Bimmer Lover

Easy button. ***55357;***56832;