Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
A/C air is not cool when temperatures are high

Thank you great knowledge of a/c system Alex

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103
Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
I disagree. Never Touch The Snowflake. It should always be on.

If you have a moldy smell then something is wrong. Hound the hell out of the dealer and BMWNA until it is corrected.
WRONG! some auto makers state this right in their owners manuals. If you ever have seem a puddle under your car on a hot day that's moisture from your evap. coil, If it's allowed to sit it gives you that wet dog smell on A/C startup which I'm sure we have all smelt , now you know why. I've made a good living the last 12 years repairing A/C systems Their are companies that a mold removing foam to clean the evaporator coil but it involves a lot of labor, the best is not to let it build up in the first place
Old 07-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Fine, I'll cheerfully concede that you are both smarter and more experienced than I am - but only if you can solve the OPs problem. So, how are you going to do so? And, when you do, please let me know why BMW shouldn't have done so.

Last edited by 02420X3; 07-04-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Agree...a true professional check is your answer.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:23 PM

I have customers come to me with this issue every now and then, and more so when the outside temps get very high. Most do not realize that when temps are in the 80's plus outside it is easily 20 plus degrees higher in a sealed car. So when they expect the interior to cool down within a block or two it's just not possible to cool all the fabric, the plastic and glass down that fast. Most A/C systems were designed to drop ambient by 20 degrees. So if it's 80 outside the air temp in vents would be about 60, some systems I've seen down to 50 or less. As mentioned before if you turn on the REC. button(the button with the A on it) that will recycle the cooler air in the cabin back through the a/c unit instead of the hot outside making the system more efficient. Most a/c units are very reliable these days, not like the old days where constant fitting leaks and seal leaks were common. What I would do if this came to me ask some questions, Has the system ever been apart? Has any service been done?Next I would do is hook a set of gauges to it and that would let me know if the system has product in it. There is a chart that will tell me based on outside temp what the pressure reading is if the system is low. As mentioned before the only for sure way to tell is to recover the refrigerant and weigh it, BUT THAT IS NOT GOSPEL. Best advice I can give you if none of the suggestions worked take it to someone you trust because a/c service can be one of the biggest ripoff's going.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:54 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
You must get that smelly duct work problem from leaving the AC on all the time.
Actually just the opposite is true. If you turn off the AC for an extended period of time, even in the winter, you get foul air from the AC system. It is always best just to leave it on even in the winter.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 AM

It's always good to just let the hot air out of the car first before driving off. So lower the windows to get some fresh air in +/- open the roof if you wish for 1-2 minutes. This way, I find that the car cools faster. I put A/C to recirculate mode like what 04prox2 recommends. Some claims this mode is bad because the air may become stale and may result in fatigue. I don't have that problem so I have never bothered to change the setting. Having said that, I don't do long journeys.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Actually just the opposite is true. If you turn off the AC for an extended period of time, even in the winter, you get foul air from the AC system. It is always best just to leave it on even in the winter.
I don't have the foul air problem in the winter. Here in the Northeast, during the winter, the air is pretty dry. I do exercise the AC system at least once a week to keep everything lubricated in the winter, but it gets it share of use from the defrost mode anyways. I do not like to leave my AC on permanently, in the winter, its a waste of energy since the air is dry anyways, in the Summer, it will product mold if you leave it on all the time. I always shut off the AC a few block before I get to my destination.

Last edited by The X Men; 07-07-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I would like to know where you are getting this info? Nothing could be further from the truth. An a/c unit is basically a dehumidifier Which means it collects moisture on it evaporator. In the winter this can aid in keeping your windows fog free. When on defrost mode the compressor cycles to help dry out the air and lubricate the compressor in the winter. It is very hard on the compressor to run when it's below -30. So if you want to run you A/C in the winter go ahead it's great for business someone will be thanking you some day.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayasanala View Post
I have 2012 X3 Xdrive purchased 3 months ago from a non BMW dealer. Lately I noticed that when the temperatures or so high(mid 80s - mid 90s) I feel like I'm not getting enough cool air from my car A/C, is it something common or something wrong with my A/C. and if I need fill the gas for my A/C is it covered under BMW Warranty
When it's really hot outside put the system in recirc (not auto recirc) and leave it there. Asking the system to cool 90F+ air down to 50F is too much to ask. In recirc it pulls air from the cabin so once it gets the cabin cooled to say 75F it only has to cool the air 25F instead of 40F. It's also easier on the system. If you need to get a smell from the car take it out of recirc temporarily but put it back as soon as possible.

I run mine in recirc all summer long and it will freeze you out when it's 100 outside.

Home HVAC's run in recirc 100% of the time. So do window units.

In the winter this is not necessary as you have heat to spare with the heater core capable of matching the engine operating temp.

Last edited by usaret; 07-09-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Unhappy A/C replacement parts

Good day everyone,

I noticed that the AC in my 2013 BMW X3 is nothing compared to AC in my wife's 5 year old Hyundai Elantra. Leaving the bimmer (black sapphire) in direct sun for an hour or longer would render the AC pretty much useless (warm air from all vents on MAX AC even after driving for 1/2 hour). I also found that on the passengers side the air is slightly colder than on the drivers side.
Today I went to my dealership in Calgary and was told the condenser was leaking freon and needed to be replaced. Of course they don't have the part in stock and need to order it - which takes between a month to month and half.
This is a bit frustrating because by the time the part arrives and is installed in my car, summer in Canada will be over, and I won't be needing the A/C for another 10 months.
I've never owned a BMW before so my question may sound naive - is this turnaround in parts ordering normal? I know the X3s are manufactured in Spartanburg so why do they need to order the condenser from Germany?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Spartanburg is an assembly plant with Just In Time inventory. It is not a parts depot.

All F25 X3 parts of any consequence seem to come fom Germany, and are often backordered. Nobody who needs a part is happy about that.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
When it's really hot outside put the system in recirc (not auto recirc) and leave it there. Asking the system to cool 90F+ air down to 50F is too much to ask. In recirc it pulls air from the cabin so once it gets the cabin cooled to say 75F it only has to cool the air 25F instead of 40F. It's also easier on the system. If you need to get a smell from the car take it out of recirc temporarily but put it back as soon as possible.

I run mine in recirc all summer long and it will freeze you out when it's 100 outside.

Home HVAC's run in recirc 100% of the time. So do window units.

In the winter this is not necessary as you have heat to spare with the heater core capable of matching the engine operating temp.
THAT (and the earlier post regarding the same) is a REALLY interesting option I never considered. Keep cooling the air you got rather than dragging the hot air in. Neat stuff, I'm going to do this now :-)

Thanks to both who posted that.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
I have had my X3 for less than a week but have already formed opinions about the HVAC system, at least with respect to the air conditioning.

I think the system clearly does have sufficient capacity to more than comfortably cool the interior even on the hottest days. Yet, because "Auto" mode is not really fully auto, it will not run at maximum capacity unless one manually adjusts it to do so. Let me explain.

First, there is that inane "Intensity" adjustment using the fan speed buttons when in auto mode. That should be a behind the scenes automatic function using the delta between measured interior temperature and the setpoint temperature to automatically adjust the "intensity". In a truly well performing automatic system a bigger delta increases the "intensity" and how aggressively it selects fan speed. A smaller delta uses more modest and more quiet fan speeds as fast fan speeds are just not needed. I noticed in auto mode, even with a very hot interior after just starting the car, the fan is rarely if ever running at maximum speed. Since the heat transfer rate is directly related to the flow over the evaporator, high air flow is essential for maximum cooling. I suspect most people do not understand what the "Intensity" adjustment does and, even if it is set to maximum, the fan does not always appear to running at max speed when it is still very warm inside the car.

Second, the recirc function is not well behaved. The A/C system, at absolute best, will only cool the air flowing over the evaporator coils by 15 to 20 degress. Therefore, if there is a 90 degree ambient, and the system is not in recirc, the supply air from the vents will only be in the low 70s. Also, the system is dealing with a lot more humidity when sucking in outside air. Condensing water out of the humid air uses much more A/C capacity than just cooling dry air so recirculating the already dehumidified cabin air provides a big cooling advantage. As a result, it is essential the system be on recirc especially on hot days. I noticed even if I manually put it on recirc it automatically reverts back to fresh air when the car is restarted. This really pisses me off because I then notice after a short while the system is not cooling as I would expect and have to manually reconfigure the supposedly automatic system again even if that only means pushing a single button twice. During summer months when the ambient temperatures are always above 70 or so I leave the system on recirc continuously.

Now, in the currently very hot weather, as soon as I start the car, I push the "Max" button. The system then obediently locks into maximum capacity (max fan and recirc) and effectively cools the car. Once the car is where I want it I then push auto and immediately bump up the intensity to max. I have a late model Lexus SUV also. Although I do not have a lot good to say about the Lexus, the A/C system is incredibly good. I think this is the case not because there is more capacity, but because in auto it much more intelligently controls fan speed than the X3 does. Also, once I push recirc it obediently stays there and I do not have to remember to put it back in recirc everytime I start the car.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:19 AM

There's no doubt the air-conditioning system in Japanese cars are superior to that of European models. It just takes less steps to cool the interior. Ultimately, the interior of the X3 will be as cool as that of the Lexus SUV. The 1 step I do now quite often is to lower all windows just to let out the hot air. After starting the car, I'll hit the MAX button and leave it for a couple of minutes before returning it to auto and re-circulate mode. Unlike RhoXS, the re-circulate settings will remain in memory on the next start up for my 2013 X3 28i.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3, 2011 328i
My e90 (wife's car) cools MUCH faster than the f25 and seems to put out colder air as well. It's also much quieter. Not scientific, just my two cents.
2006 X3 (03/07 - 1/12)
1995 325i (05/06 - 3/09)
1985 325e (08/00 - 12/04)

Last edited by jman103099; 07-18-2013 at 05:40 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I have had my X3 for less than a week but have already formed opinions about the HVAC system, at least with respect to the air conditioning.

I think the system clearly does have sufficient capacity to more than comfortably cool the interior even on the hottest days. Yet, because "Auto" mode is not really fully auto, it will not run at maximum capacity unless one manually adjusts it to do so. Let me explain.

First, there is that inane "Intensity" adjustment using the fan speed buttons when in auto mode. That should be a behind the scenes automatic function using the delta between measured interior temperature and the setpoint temperature to automatically adjust the "intensity". In a truly well performing automatic system a bigger delta increases the "intensity" and how aggressively it selects fan speed. A smaller delta uses more modest and more quiet fan speeds as fast fan speeds are just not needed. I noticed in auto mode, even with a very hot interior after just starting the car, the fan is rarely if ever running at maximum speed. Since the heat transfer rate is directly related to the flow over the evaporator, high air flow is essential for maximum cooling. I suspect most people do not understand what the "Intensity" adjustment does and, even if it is set to maximum, the fan does not always appear to running at max speed when it is still very warm inside the car.

Second, the recirc function is not well behaved. The A/C system, at absolute best, will only cool the air flowing over the evaporator coils by 15 to 20 degress. Therefore, if there is a 90 degree ambient, and the system is not in recirc, the supply air from the vents will only be in the low 70s. Also, the system is dealing with a lot more humidity when sucking in outside air. Condensing water out of the humid air uses much more A/C capacity than just cooling dry air so recirculating the already dehumidified cabin air provides a big cooling advantage. As a result, it is essential the system be on recirc especially on hot days. I noticed even if I manually put it on recirc it automatically reverts back to fresh air when the car is restarted. This really pisses me off because I then notice after a short while the system is not cooling as I would expect and have to manually reconfigure the supposedly automatic system again even if that only means pushing a single button twice. During summer months when the ambient temperatures are always above 70 or so I leave the system on recirc continuously.

Now, in the currently very hot weather, as soon as I start the car, I push the "Max" button. The system then obediently locks into maximum capacity (max fan and recirc) and effectively cools the car. Once the car is where I want it I then push auto and immediately bump up the intensity to max. I have a late model Lexus SUV also. Although I do not have a lot good to say about the Lexus, the A/C system is incredibly good. I think this is the case not because there is more capacity, but because in auto it much more intelligently controls fan speed than the X3 does. Also, once I push recirc it obediently stays there and I do not have to remember to put it back in recirc everytime I start the car.

Fortunately our 2009 E83 holds whatever settings that it was when you turn it off. I'm pretty sure it's identical (in function) to the E46 climate control.

Our daughter drives an Avalon (here in Florida) and she too was complaining about the AC not cooling well until I told her to force it into recirc. It's cooling just fine now.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_K View Post
There's no doubt the air-conditioning system in Japanese cars are superior to that of European models. It just takes less steps to cool the interior. Ultimately, the interior of the X3 will be as cool as that of the Lexus SUV. The 1 step I do now quite often is to lower all windows just to let out the hot air. After starting the car, I'll hit the MAX button and leave it for a couple of minutes before returning it to auto and re-circulate mode. Unlike RhoXS, the re-circulate settings will remain in memory on the next start up for my 2013 X3 28i.
I'll second that. I went in my girlfriend's Toyota Yaris (1.2) yesterday. The car cost about 1/4 of mine, and the air con was miles better, you could physically feel the lower temperature being pumped out.

Of course overall the X3 is much better, but with such a high marque car you'd think they'd (BMW) up their game :-/
Old 07-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_K View Post
I had a 2006 Lexus SC 430 and the AC was great. The AC is my 2013 MB E350 cabriolet is fantastic. Every bit a good as the lexus. And it has an off button too. That's something every BMW should have.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
I had a 2006 Lexus SC 430 and the AC was great. The AC is my 2013 MB E350 cabriolet is fantastic. Every bit a good as the lexus. And it has an off button too. That's something every BMW should have.
Your AC does not have a off button?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
Quote:
Your AC does not have a off button?
You know what I meant. If the fan speed is on level 4, I ( and everyone else) have to press the the fan speed button 4 times to shut it off. Why not just add an off button for the climate control? (Is that better The X Men?)

Last edited by dudley07726; 07-21-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
I agree that an off button would be nice, but in the interest of accuracy, if you just hold the "fan speed down" button for a second or two, the system shuts off. I think this was probably mentioned by others somewhere. Another benefit of this method is that, when you turn it back on, it starts up at whatever settings you turned it off at. So, kind of like an off button, I guess.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
You know what I meant. If the fan speed is on level 4, I ( and everyone else) have to press the the fan speed button 4 times to shut it off. Why not just add an off button for the climate control? (Is that better The X Men?)
I wasn't sure which off button you were taking about since there was a AC off button and a HVAC off in the fan button like you said. To be honest, I leave my HVAC on all the time, I don't think I have ever said to myself, I wish there was a extra button to shut off the HVAC. In fact, I would not want more buttons to clutter up the center console. I think less buttons and a simple dash look cleaner, unlike the Japanese cars that has a million buttons.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
...........To be honest, I leave my HVAC on all the time, I don't think I have ever said to myself, I wish there was a extra button to shut off the HVAC. In fact, I would not want more buttons to clutter up the center console. I think less buttons and a simple dash look cleaner, unlike the Japanese cars that has a million buttons.
I agree 100%. I give the climate control in my '09 E83 full marks.

Since it seamlessly does what it needs to do, without having to fiddle with it, I have seldom had a reason to shut it off.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post
I'll second that. I went in my girlfriend's Toyota Yaris (1.2) yesterday. The car cost about 1/4 of mine, and the air con was miles better, you could physically feel the lower temperature being pumped out.

Of course overall the X3 is much better, but with such a high marque car you'd think they'd (BMW) up their game :-/
BMW's auto climate control is programmed to be quiet and unabrupt. If you manually override the controls the BMW will do the same thing.

This is mine on a 93 degree day in auto, recirc, with a setpoint of 73 F.

How much colder should it be for BMW to have "upped their game"?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Temp.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	388114