Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
iphone 4s Snap-in Adapter Questions

I just picked-up my 2014 X3 and with the $50 gift certificate from the dealer, bought a snap-in adapter for my iPhone 4S. I can't say that I am pleased with the cost ($250!!!). But with that behind me I am questioning the need for this expensive toy. I noticed that my iPhone goes nuts when I plug it into the USB adapter and does not charge, so I guess that's one argument for the adapter. However, the 4s does not fit into the snap-in if thyou have a case on the phone!!! So I have a few questions for others who have some experience in this area:

1) First how do you install the Snap-in??? I just bought in from the parts dept. and it looks like the insert in the center arm rest needs to come out first, but it's not obvious and I don't want to go around breaking pieces of $$$ plastic.

2) Has anyone found a case that fits, or is surgery on the snap-in required

3)Is there really any value to this thing???

Any help or advice appreciated.

Last edited by ACAT; 07-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2011 Z4 35is
1. There is a button labeled like a CD Eject button in front of the piece in the armrest. Press it and the back of the insert should pop up, and it is easily removed. You can then insert the Snap-in Adapter front first and click in place.

2. I don't think it is possible to use a case with the adapter, I have learned to be careful with my iPhone 4 without a case. My wife used to take the case on and off, a real pain.

3. In my old E89 Z4 I found that telephone reception was slightly better in marginal areas since it connected the phone to an outside antenna, and since I daily drove through such an area, it was worth it. I have not tested it in the X3 yet (only had the X3 for a week). You are also supposed to be able to play videos from your phone, but I have never tried it. So the value of the Snap-in Adapter is debatable, but to me the better reception and the convenience of just snapping in the phone for charging without the cable is worth it.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 28i

I had one for my 2014 X3 and recently returned it. I bought it primarily to watch videos but after much discussion and a 3 day service stay, I was informed that BMW have removed this feature from the 2014 models. The only other reason to use it is for the claimed better phone reception but I haven't noticed any difference.

The other problem I had was that I kept forgetting my phone was in the cradle and leaving it in the car when I reached my destination!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2014 X3 28i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic - Black 'Nevada' Leather - Brushed Aluminum - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance with Top View - Lighting - Premium - Technology - Satin Aluminum Roof rails - Rear manual side window shades
Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
I have the iPhone 4 (bluetooth only) snap-in for my 2009 E83. I live on the edge of any cellular coverage and would oftentimes get dropped calls when I got close to my house.

For me it was worth the money.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=1

I use a Simplism Crystal cover for my phone. It pops on and off with ease:

http://www.simplism.jp/en/products/i...l_cover_set_1/

Last edited by usaret; 07-09-2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: add link
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 xDrive 35i

Ironman. I leave my phone in the car as well. I use the USB adaptor. They do not have a cradle available for the iPhone 5 yet.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app