Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i sport 2006 m6
BMW battery

The stealership told my wife our 06 x3 needed a new battery and I told her would get it from Interstate. The service manager told her that you can't use an aftermarket battery it has to be BMW and if she did buy one we would still need to bring the car back to have it reprogrammed for $160.00 . I think this is all BULL**** and that the service department are a bunch of liars . But I could be wrong, am I wrong ?

Last edited by setconstr; 07-04-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: X3
bull****, you can use aftermaket one, one is my X3, BUT you have to swap it with special thing connected to OBD connector to provide juice while its swapped most repar shops have that device its like a battery charger with adapter

something like this
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 PM

Thanks !
Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 AM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
bull****, you can use aftermaket one, one is my X3, BUT you have to swap it with special thing connected to OBD connector to provide juice while its swapped most repar shops have that device its like a battery charger with adapter

something like this
??? Why do you need to keep voltage on the car while swapping the battery?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
You can just replace it as you would any other car.I purchased one from Walmart,
perfect fit and have had zero problems in 18 months.Some people hook up to a booster pac via the front terminals to save your radio stations etc.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Yes and no. When you disconnect the battery the pinch protection systems of the sunroof and windows has to be re-initialized. Both of which you can do yourself with a little research.

Last edited by usaret; 07-04-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
.... BUT you have to swap it with special thing connected to OBD connector to provide juice while its swapped most repar shops have that device its like a battery charger with adapter
This is only a consideration for vehicles where the cigarette lighter socket is dead when the key is off.

In the E83 X3 this is not the case - it is always live.

And even if it wasn't, you don't have to maintain 12v during a battery replacement.
It is just more convenient, and can be done anyway at the front (or rear) terminals as well as at the cigarette lighter socket.

The OBDII method just saves a shop from having to mess around.
But I am not sure that a booster pack like that is a good option.
Putting more than a few amps. through the OBDII port sounds like courting a whole load of potential problems in a BMW.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: X3
seems like everyone has a lot of ideas on this matter.
but the fact is i had it done by my mechanic this way and no issues.
car is off, plug in the booster thing, replace the battery disconnect the booster thing, if you just disconnect the batter you might get random lighs on the dashboard afterwards. Older cars were not like this, Mine is 07 and this is the reason places like autozoe will not touch this car for battery replacement.

Quote:
This is only a consideration for vehicles where the cigarette lighter socket is dead when the key is off.
what does this have to do with anything? the ECU is always powered for as long as battery is in the car.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
what does this have to do with anything? the ECU is always powered for as long as battery is in the car.
The point is that for a vehicle like the E83 X3, where the cigarette lighter sockets are not ignition-switched, you can plug in a trickle charger to accomplish the same purpose.

You stated that you, "have to swap it with special thing connected to OBD connector".
That is incorrect.

For later BMW models, and most non-European vehicles, the cigarette lighter sockets are ignition-switched.
So in those cases, the OBDII connection would be a viable option, but so would connecting a trickle charger to the battery terminals.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM

thanks!

I have 3 BMW's and I have interstate batteries in 2 and have always let them install them. I have noticed that they do keep the power up as they do the install so I will take the X3 there. The stealership really was adamant that we would have major problems if we installed an aftermarket battery so I wondered if it was different then my 740i sport or M6 and I think not at this point.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:39 AM

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by setconstr View Post
I have 3 BMW's and I have interstate batteries in 2 and have always let them install them. I have noticed that they do keep the power up as they do the install so I will take the X3 there. The stealership really was adamant that we would have major problems if we installed an aftermarket battery so I wondered if it was different then my 740i sport or M6 and I think not at this point.
The X3 has sensitive electronics. Yes you can replace the battery the old style way but maintaining power to the car's systems is much nicer. If you disconnect the power during the replacement and have a code reader - have a look at the error codes that were thrown. Nothing fatal but certainly shows a lot of things get very very upset. Less error codes thrown is better IMO. The dealer can see these codes and probably shudders hence the warning.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
the reason that the dealers keep power to the car is 2 things..

keep your settings remember
and or
keep the cars brain alive...

Some makes and models loose there memory

your choice.... I keep power to the car while i swap the batter out because i dont want to loose my seat memory or radio stations..

Remember this if you remmeber anything here

Ground cable first then postive...
and installation is reversve order of removal
postive first then ground last
Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
1) it is not mandatory to keep the vehicle powered whilst changing the battery.

2) if you can keep the vehicle powered it means you don't need to reset the clock etc.

As to whether the car needs to be told it has a new battery, it depends on if its an AGM and if the car supports that feature.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Deka makes a european OE fit battery called Exact Fit to fit the X3. At the time I purchased mine, it was branded as Rayovac. I purchased one from a local Deka dealer branded as Rayovac (how I learned it was the same battery). At one point, batteries plus sold this battery but I don't see it on their website anymore.. The battery fits perfectly in the car, comes with the little vent elbow thing as well and it starts the car great. That's what I purchased last December and couldn't be happier.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Underachiever

Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
I bought one at Batteries Plus where I get all my BMW batteries. Its just a battery...
Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
So if you're not supposed to disconnect the battery, how is one expected to clean the terminals?
I suppose another way of handling it would be to hook up jumper cables to the battery cables, then to another car, right?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Jumper cables to another battery or trickle charger
Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
So if you're not supposed to disconnect the battery, how is one expected to clean the terminals?
I suppose another way of handling it would be to hook up jumper cables to the battery cables, then to another car, right?
I've disconnected my battery a couple of times and this is a total non-issue. All you will lose are radio presets and pinch protection of the windows and sunroof. Any warning lights that show up on the dash will self extinguish as the system resets itself.

The procedure for resetting the window pinch protection is in your owners manual.

The sunroof is just as easy:

Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM

USAret:
So what year is your X3? I'd like to make sure disconnecting the battery won't be a major headache for my 2005...
I'm going to need to replace my oil filter housing gasket which requires that I remove the alternator... battery disconnect will be mandatory.
The later model x3's may, I think, be lots more sensitive to battery disconnect.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Disconnecting the battery on any E83 X3 (2004 - 2010) will not be any sort of a headache.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM

Great to hear.... thanks, Supercourse.