Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745li
hello guys.my 1st post

i just bought my 02 745li about 2 months ago...2 days ago it gave me this massage"parking brake malfunction''yesterday this pop up''recharge battery''also dsc malfunction!" I went to start the car this morning everything was shut no power at all.the battery died completely...I need ya help please
Ads by Google
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
Your battery is dead guy, may as well chek the alternator too.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM

what about these messages right before the battery dead
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	385704  
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM

the battery its only 2 months old
Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BM745Li View Post
what about these messages right before the battery dead
most of those errors should be cleared after you either charge your battery
or buy a new 1 & have it registered to the car .

Not to change the subject , but how is the weather out the in Brooklyn ???

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 07-08-2013, 03:30 PM

its nice and hot here......how do I know if the alternator is bad or should I try to get a jump cable?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
hello guys.my 1st post

If ur batt is only 2 months old and it died, either you didn't register it properly or your alt crapped the bed. If u check the alt at a pep boys or auto zone it'll probably test good even if it ain't. Get codes read. If the alt is trash you should have a generator fault in your car even if no check engine light is on. Either way by the sound of things you're going to need an indy.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 PM

thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 06:12 AM
Ms. AWesome ;)

Mein Auto: E66
First of all your parking lights and battery dying are two completely separate issues... Second i have gone through the whole alternator issue 4 months ago so follow these steps

1. Get you battery registered. its a 3 mins process
2. (if it shows the same errors and dyes on you) Jump start the car and after 10 mins of engine running. Pull out the negative terminal. if the Charge dyes on you again, get the alternator replaced.

Best of luck and hope its just a 20$ visit for a battery registration...
Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM

hello guys.my 1st post

What's the negative terminal?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 AM

hello guys.my 1st post

The car is dead right now I'm going to try get a bust to start the car then take it to a Mec

Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Ms. AWesome ;)

Mein Auto: E66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BM745Li View Post
What's the negative terminal?

in the boot, on the right handside, under the Jack to lift your car, on top of your battery.. there is a Positive terminal and there is a negative terminal...

Take out the negative terminal.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: E66 Alpine White
Hope its just a battery registration issue only. Good luck
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
Its funny how many first posts are from people with battery issues. First off welcome to the fest. You will learn a ton hear about your car and if it hasn't been modified yet...you will find tons of things you will want to do.

Now on to your batt/alt issue. First thing to know is that these cars don't use a typical lead acid battery like most cars...they need to have an absorbed glass mat (AGM) style battery. First thing to do is make sure it is of that variety and if not replace.

Second, remove the battery and get a ride to ann autoparts store that has a battery charger. Have them test/charge the battery...again AGM batteries have a different charge setting then lead acid. If it is discharged but not dead expect it to take at least 30-40 min to charge...you may need to just drop it off and come back for it. Once it is recharged it needs to go back in the car, BUT the way this car works as far as charging the battery is also different from most other cars...it needs to be "registered" to the vehicle. This tells one of the many computer modules in the car that there is a new battery in the vehicle and that it should adjust the charge curve as well as re-enable certain things. Yes, i said re-enable...your car starts to shut certain things down when the battery state of charge starts to get low. Now you CAN register the battery yourself but you need a special ODB2 cable and some software you can download. If you do the research and take your time it will be a piece of cake once you get the cable (which you will most likely have to order online). Otherwise you NEED to take the vehicle to the stealership to have it registered...expect to pay around $100. Welcome to owning a BMW

I would do all of that before going to the alternator. Now once all of that is done and IF you are still having problems then there is a "secret" diagnostic menu that you can use to monitor the output of your alternator...just do a search and you will find a tutorial.

If you are planning to ignore this advice and jump start the car make sure you do it from under the hood (there are connections there) and not directly at the battery in the trunk.

When removing the battery look for a switch up on the top of the fuse panel over the battery...move that switch before you remove the battery and switch it back after you install the new one. For what its worth...i would NOT use the disconnect the battery method of checking the alternator...but its your choice. Also be careful removing the battery...remove the negative (black) terminal first and secure it so it isn't going to touch anything or cover it with something insulating like a plastic freezer bag. Be careful removing the positive terminal as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: E65 745i
Do your guys power modules not contain coding options for lead acid batteries?

Maybe its different in europe but when I had my battery replaced (was already a lead acid battery in the car when I got it and had been in there 6 years) I just changed the coding line to the appropriate number of AH and chose the option without AGM. I also registered it after the replacement for good practice. (Also it was not coded for AGM when I got it, I only changed it as the replacement was a different capacity).

Haven't had a problem since and the only issue previously was the recharge battery message if sat in the car for a few mins without the engine running.

Just wanted to ask since on this (mainly USA) forum I haven't heard a single person mention this and the battery topic comes up again and again.

Last edited by Piers1989; 07-09-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers1989 View Post
Do your guys power modules not contain coding options for lead acid batteries?

Maybe its different in europe but when I had my battery replaced (was already a lead acid battery in the car when I got it and had been in there 6 years) I just changed the coding line to the appropriate number of AH and chose the option without AGM. I also registered it after the replacement for good practice. (Also it was not coded for AGM when I got it, I only changed it as the replacement was a different capacity).

Haven't had a problem since and the only issue previously was the recharge battery message if sat in the car for a few mins without the engine running.

Just wanted to ask since on this (mainly USA) forum I haven't heard a single person mention this and the battery topic comes up again and again.
I think you are correct and you CAN use a lead acid battery if it is coded for it since they do charge differently...but here in America we are just power hungry.

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM

hello guys.my 1st post

Thanks a lot guys
I really appreciate...I love this site
it.i'm about to remove it battery and take it to auto zone.hope it just the battery...ill let ya know what happen later

Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Thats cool, just a piece of information I thought people may be interested in since a lot of people seem to post on here after they buy a shiny new Lead Acid battery and everyone tells them to buy another new one thats AGM.

Seems to me like if they've already bought the Lead Acid one it would be easier just to get a coding guy to recode the car for Lead Acid and register it rather than replace again!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Thats cool, just a piece of information I thought people may be interested in since a lot of people seem to post on here after they buy a shiny new Lead Acid battery and everyone tells them to buy another new one thats AGM.

Seems to me like if they've already bought the Lead Acid one it would be easier just to get a coding guy to recode the car for Lead Acid and register it rather than replace again!
Sometimes finding a coding guy is difficult. While a LA batt is good enough an AGM is still better for these cars since they have so much current draw. (especially in cold climates)

Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesatman View Post
Sometimes finding a coding guy is difficult. While a LA batt is good enough an AGM is still better for these cars since they have so much current draw. (especially in cold climates)
I guess its easier for me since I do it myself and love to tinker :P

Its not that cold in the UK apart form the sudden ridiculous winters, but the car was ok during the bad winter we had this year so I think I should be ok
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I guess its easier for me since I do it myself and love to tinker :P

Its not that cold in the UK apart form the sudden ridiculous winters, but the car was ok during the bad winter we had this year so I think I should be ok
I'm sure you'll be fine. But you probably aren't the guy (im sure there are a few on here) that is sitting in the parking lot of some hangout with their L7 amp maxed out and their follow me home lights on to attract the honeys either.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesatman View Post
I'm sure you'll be fine. But you probably aren't the guy (im sure there are a few on here) that is sitting in the parking lot of some hangout with their L7 amp maxed out and their follow me home lights on to attract the honeys either.
What do you mean, these are my favourite activities!

But instead of the Logic 7 which I don't have I use my rear blinds (The ladies love it when i slide them up and down ) and I turn on every light possible in and outside the car ^^

On a more serious note I also have the engine running pretty much whenever I'm doing anything in the car and drive long journeys regularly so that is probably more of a factor
Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 AM

hello guys.my 1st post

I charged the battery put it back in the car start right away.i took it to my friend he register the battery for me
Now I'm good.thanks guys.ya the bestClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373457233.025368.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	385920