Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Off topic for my Southern Cal members

I am traveling out to Southern Cal on vacation in a couple of weeks, flying into LAX and driving to Anaheim and then down to San Diego, first time in California, what can I expect traffic wise driving out to Anaheim from Lax mid day, is the traffic as horrendous as they say ?
Also from Anaheim to San Diego.
Also , can anyone recommend any great seafood restaurants in the Newport beach area, thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
i'm not from southern California but I send all my money there... kid in college there and no scholarship

Traffic is always bad each time I was there, but somebody else living there can confirm it. It's actually better on a weekend. Try google map on the same weekday/time that you will be there - they show the "current travel time" (be sure to account for the west coast time zone when you check from the east).

If you have not bought the air tickets yet, maybe try some other smaller/efficient airport like John Wayne (orange county SNA). Plus it's close to Anaheim. lol Disneyland huh?

There's a restaurant on the Newport Beach that's in the middle of the ocean ... a long walk on the windy pier to this restaurant. Food isn't the best and their menu isn't that long. But it has the most magnificent or awesome view at night (we can look up and down the pacific coast for miles and miles). There are several other restaurants on the beach (never tried them; maybe better). Bring lots of coins for parking on the beach since we're all tourists.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Off topic for my Southern Cal members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
I am traveling out to Southern Cal on vacation in a couple of weeks, flying into LAX and driving to Anaheim and then down to San Diego, first time in California, what can I expect traffic wise driving out to Anaheim from Lax mid day, is the traffic as horrendous as they say ?
Also from Anaheim to San Diego.
Also , can anyone recommend any great seafood restaurants in the Newport beach area, thanks for any help you can offer.
Hmm what is midday, 2pm? It you are on the 405 after 3 or 4 forget It. Even in carpool. My favorite restaurant in Newport beach is Javier's. it's not all seafood but they have excellent seafood. I'd call it upscale Mexican. Maestros ocean club is next door. Also good. Beautiful drive on the 1 to get there.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Funny, I have done the same thing: Anaheim, LA, San Diego, Newport. It was a Disney/Univ.Studios/SeaWorld trip.
Traffic wasn't as bad as I thought. LA to San Diego was a breeze.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx View Post

If you have not bought the air tickets yet, maybe try some other smaller/efficient airport like John Wayne (orange county SNA). Plus it's close to Anaheim. lol Disneyland huh?

There's a restaurant on the Newport Beach that's in the middle of the ocean ... a long walk on the windy pier to this restaurant. Food isn't the best and their menu isn't that long. But it has the most magnificent or awesome view at night (we can look up and down the pacific coast for miles and miles). There are several other restaurants on the beach (never tried them; maybe better). Bring lots of coins for parking on the beach since we're all tourists.
The restaurant on the end of the pier is Ruby's. it ok for breakfast but nothing special.

I second flying into SNA. PCH and Newport Blvd is where the high end restaurants are. Or Balboa peninsula.

In Anaheim there is a Benihana's or The Boiling Crab in a near by city.

Best way to get to Anaheim from LAX is 105E - 605S - 91E - 5S or 57S.

Use Waze. There are a lot of users in SoCal.

Last edited by rijc99; 07-09-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:12 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
Bayside in Newport Beach for a nice upscale meal or the Crab Cooker in NB for great food and really casual. A bit further South is Las Brisas in Laguna Beach on PCH - one of my favorite seafood restaurants and a great view.

Fly into SNA if possible

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 07-10-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Bayside in Newport Beach for a nice upscale meal or the Crab Cooker in NB for great food and really casual. A bit further South is Las Brisas in Laguna Beach on PCH - one of my favorite seafood restaurants and a great view.

Fly into SNA if possible
Las Brisas in Laguna is awesome. Not much selection on their menu.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
hmm... talking about food, the other day I was looking into the bmwusa website account (any bimmer owner can setup or log in) and they have coupons for restaurants/etc. The one that caught my fancy is the Morton's Steakhouse 3 course dinner $45 per person. The value is probably about $55 to 60 my guess. But people normally don't go to Morton's when on vacation - we see the first restaurant and that's the one!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx View Post
hmm... talking about food, the other day I was looking into the bmwusa website account (any bimmer owner can setup or log in) and they have coupons for restaurants/etc. The one that caught my fancy is the Morton's Steakhouse 3 course dinner $45 per person. The value is probably about $55 to 60 my guess. But people normally don't go to Morton's when on vacation - we see the first restaurant and that's the one!
Morton's has been doing that for years. They have a better deal where they do steak and seafood for 59.99. Actual value if ordered separately would be over $85. Ruth's Chris does a similar special.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X35D
I like Oceanaire in San Diego.

http://www.theoceanaire.com/location...Locations.aspx

Their crab cakes are out of this world.
They're just lumbs of crab meat barely held together with minimal amount of bread crumbs. Other seafoods are also excellent.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Why drive anything else

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
I am local to San Diego and have been to Orange County many times. Traffic does get bad in Southern California. The best advice I can give you is try to stay off of the freeway between 3-6pm. Also take advantage of www.sigalerrt.com it will tell you traffic speeds in all of California. For seafood you should stop by where I live in Del Mar. It's called Pacifica Del Mar. While in Del Mar make sure you to to theDel Mar horse races!

http://m.pacificadelmar.com/

http://www.dmtc.com/
2006 BMW 325I - Retired
2001 BMW M3 Coupe - Retired