Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 X5 35i M Sport
Blue Def Spilled by Dealer

So I detailed my car last weekend. Looked great. I knew I had to go for oil change and service today but figured it would be respected.

I got home and noticed the front end had strange running trail. Looked closer and opened hood to find the crystals all over both fill locations. Then found it running down front fascia. Inside headlamp bezel seal. On nearby components. On and on. I've filled it once without a drip.

By time I called SA they are closed. Left message and will advise their reply. But, any concern on painted surfaces? Other?

I'm totally pi**ed off. Any experiences like this? Obviously they didn't rinse it or wash vehicle either. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373426325.314680.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	385901Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373426344.048887.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	385902

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
They have spilled the fluid all over the engine on mine. After complaint, it was promptly washed off.
I could have had better aim pissing into that, than some of the teenagers refilling the DEF.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
That spill is worse than when I did my refill on the DEF. I don't even have the benefit of BMW certified training.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
So I detailed my car last weekend. Looked great. I knew I had to go for oil change and service today but figured it would be respected.

I got home and noticed the front end had strange running trail. Looked closer and opened hood to find the crystals all over both fill locations. Then found it running down front fascia. Inside headlamp bezel seal. On nearby components. On and on. I've filled it once without a drip.

By time I called SA they are closed. Left message and will advise their reply. But, any concern on painted surfaces? Other?

I'm totally pi**ed off. Any experiences like this? Obviously they didn't rinse it or wash vehicle either. Attachment 385901Attachment 385902

Same thing happened on my first service but in addition windshield washer cap, not closed, washer fluid all over the place, coolant expansion tank overfilled, took the vehicle back, had them wash the DEF off in addition to the other issues, have to mention to them with future services not to spill the DEF, close the washer fluid cap and do NOT touch the coolant expansion tank, pretty sad, huh, I even check the car BEFORE I pull off their lot, yes I should find another dealer but the convenience of a 5 minute ride from my house is worth the aggravation and plus they know now I will check so those issues are pretty much gone.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:10 AM

More irritating than damaging I suppose. I'm now 2 hours from the dealer instead of our previous 5 minutes from our preferred dealer. I'll let the results of this judge if we do bmw again or the Audi dealer that is very close.

My wife is having a problem with the pass seat in our X5 and loved her audis.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 AM

I will say the SA contacted me promptly this morning. He understands my frustration and also the fact that I'm not going to take another 1/2 day to deal with this.

He made a very fair offer as a solution and I will definitely take it as a positive impression of the dealership going forward.

And I'll also note in the future to look closer before leaving the dealer!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: X5
1/2 day?? Just wash it off with a hose or a bottle of water and move on with your life. Jeez...
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
1/2 day?? Just wash it off with a hose or a bottle of water and move on with your life. Jeez...
Except, then, if there is paint damage etc, it's harder prove what caused it. Generally a better idea to return with it as the dealer left it and have them address, so if there are secondary issues it's clear they were at fault.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpydog View Post
Except, then, if there is paint damage etc, it's harder prove what caused it. Generally a better idea to return with it as the dealer left it and have them address, so if there are secondary issues it's clear they were at fault.
Exactly. Thank you. I was concerned about any corrosion issues from the crystalized urea. Obviously I can wash it off with a hose, but that's not the point. It shouldn't have had the blue def filled so sloppy in the first place and the dealer is in agreement.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
Sorry to break your bubble, but dealership techs work on BMW such as your and much nicer higher end models ALL DAY LONG. They most likely don't GAS that your's just got detailed 2 minutes ago. It is what it is, just do a full walk around visual inspection BEFORE you leave their lot.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Sorry to break your bubble, but dealership techs work on BMW such as your and much nicer higher end models ALL DAY LONG. They most likely don't GAS that your's just got detailed 2 minutes ago. It is what it is, just do a full walk around visual inspection BEFORE you leave their lot.
There's no bubble. It's clear there are a lot nice vehicles that one comes across regularly. In my opinion, it should be a quality mindset if you are going to work on vehicles. Maybe they all aren't treated the same, but they are all treated with respect and a quality workmanship mentality. Naive maybe, but something that is teachable. Especially when we deem them "factory trained technicians" and not wrench turners.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
Oh please, that's NOTHING compared to what happened with me:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...bmw-visit.html
Old 07-14-2013, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
^oh my goodness. that's nasty looking.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 AM

That was much worse than mine for sure. It's frustrating more than damaging. Yesterday after we just arrived at our destination 400 miles away I noticed the plastic trap door under our car was hanging open. It covers the oil drain location I believe and it is likely nothing more than a splash shield. Well, it fell off because the tech didn't put it back on properly. Ridiculous. If the dealer didn't agree to compensate us more than fair I would be more bothered. It's just not professional.