Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3 2.0DA
Exclamation HELP!! Tick, tack sound steering rack

Hi,

2012 BMW 2,0DA

I have a problem with getting the steering rack covered by warranty in Norway. BMW Germany says that the tick, tack (clunk) sound doesn't affect the life/wear of the steering rack and is only a design issue. Conclusion: Not covered by warranty.

This is a $110.000,- car i Norway, so I am not happy with the feedback from BMW Germany. Premium cars do not have tick/tack/clunk sounds from the steering rack.

Can those of you that have gotten the steering rack covered by warranty please give me feedback and if the tick, tack (clunk) sound has disappeaired after the swop?

Please reply as soon as possible. Numerous feedback builds my case, so all of you, please give feedback.

The plan is to forward the link to this thred to the BMW dealer as documentation that many others have gotten the stearing rack replaced world wide.

Espen Lysholm

Last edited by Espen Lysholm; 06-25-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-25-2013, 04:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
WTF was that last reply?

Anyone, about a year ago I had the issue. In particular when turning and you hit a slight bump / pothole, sounded like the steering rack / front right wheel was loose (remember we have the steering wheel on the "right" side ;-)

So, I took to BMW numerous times, they had a case and in the gge for a few days whilst they take measurements and all, ultimately after a lot of complaining they replace it (something to do with the steering rack).

All was sweet.

Then, about 6 months later it came back. At the next service I asked for them to check it out but now it's like all "oooo it's fine no issues". I told them clearly it was the same fault, and they should check their previous work but ....

End result, click clack clunk every so often. It pisses me off.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Others: Please feel free to share your experience on the steering rack and warranty issue

Espen Lysholm
Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Read this thread which may help you out:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692840
Old 06-27-2013, 03:25 AM

Nice link, that just about sums it up - we're screwed.

That explains why mine was replace and it came back, it's just a fundamental design flaw they don't want to fix :-/
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM

Espen

Did you get anywhere with this? I am due another service and may well raise it (again).

J
Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 AM

Looks like Espen's gone dark :-)

Anyhow - for information on this, I AGAIN complained about this issue but first made sure I had a place where I could consistently reproduce. For a right hand drive vehicle this was to find a slight bump in the road (in this case a raised curb approx 3-4cm high) that I could drive over. Then approach the curb accelerating from about 5-15mph with the steering lock on full right, i.e. as if you're turning right. Making sure the right hand wheel (same side as steering wheel) hits the bump. Works every time.

I wonder if the reverse is true for left hand drivers?

Anyhow, they said BMW had received many complaints about this. The initial solution (as they did to me) was to replace the steering rack. That didn't fix it so they're puzzled as to how to resolve. For puzzled read can't be bothered I guess.

Maybe it's not a mechanical issue, but it sure sounds like the wheel is going to fall off :-/

J
Old 09-08-2013, 08:16 AM

I am so sorry.

I have searched and searched for an answer to my problem. Through the dealer, to BMW AG, to BMW Norway, I got the same response: A design issue, no solution at the moment........

Just before the weekend, I was picking up my X3 at an other BMW dealer, after some damage repair. As they where taking the first service, while they had the car, I also asked them to check the steering rack problem for a second opinion. When I picked up the car I was informed that they have ordered a new steering rack on the warranty. The repair is scheduled at Friday.

I am crossing my fingers, that this will solve my problem.

Espen Lysholm

Last edited by Espen Lysholm; 09-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Oh ...

I truly hope it works for you man.

For me, it *did* fix the issue for a number of months. Then it came back again :-(

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d xDrive Touring
Noise from steering

Just had major service carried out at 25000 miles and minor 'play' in off side front steering/ suspension noted. Car booked in for two days on 9th October for investigation.
Will advise what outcome is in due course.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 AM

Update:
The scheduled repair was delayed due to problems with getting the spare part. I finally got the steering rack switched, today, after months of waiting for spare parts.

I hope that this will solve my problem. So far, so good.

Espen Lysholm