Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i Sedan
Project: E34 530i Sedan rolling on 19"s

Details are:

1995 BMW 530i auto sedan with Dove Grey Leather in Oxford Green

I picked it up with a blown Nikosil motor so ordered an Alusil version which doesn't have the same issues internally. The car had been sitting for a couple of years out the front of a mates house up on jack stands, neglected. I picked it up and trailered it home. It sat for a good while awaiting it's heart transplant and for me to get motor-vated.

I finally got stuck in and fitted up the new donk after a bit of a re-seal and clean up, I also bead blasted and painted the spare set of rocker covers which tidied up the engine bay nicely.

Once it was running I started to tidy it up and fix a few of the bits and pieces that were neglected on the body and interior such as re-painting the bump mouldings satin black and fixing up the electric window winders.

Then it was time to look for a set of new rims to bling it up a bit. My mate at The Tyre Factory sorted me out with a set of 19x9.5 rear and 19x8.5" front ANZ Huski rims.

I also picked up a set of Lenso rims and ran them whilst I awaited the appropriate spacers. Lovells Super Lows went in at this point also.

Being a Holden Commodore offset (+45) I had to find some spacers to push them out a bit. 20mm spacers were sourced and fitted up.

Exhaust was next. Just from the CATS back, twin system utilising mandrel bends with a straight through muffler and dual euro tips.

What does it sound like? Raspy

Next on the agenda was the front lip which I sourced through my mate Clint. It needed some repair and to have the paint stripped from it. It's also a Volvo lip which I inverted and shortened to fit. Clear indicators front and side helped clean up the look of it to.

Next on the agenda was to get rid of the poxy T Bar gear knob and replace it with one from an E39. I also shortened the shaft so it didn't sit so high and had to modify the rod to suit.

Shot out front of RAMP Auto in Perth about the time that they fitted the new PowerFlex bushes

Ads by Google
Old 06-29-2013, 02:46 AM

At this point we moved from WA to NSW in the Hunter Valley and shipped our cars over. Both the Prado (MUMSRIG) and the Beemer were damaged. The Beemer's paint was affected on the roof by something and I decided to have the car tidied up as far as the paint was concerned. I also asked the repairer to fill the boot spoiler holes as I wanted to fit a lip spoiler instead of the fibreglass monstrosity that came from the factory... I'm extremely happy with the job they did for a small town country repairer.

Back to the interior, I was sick of steering what felt like a boat's wheel so I opted for a E39 wheel with airbag. So much nicer feel! I also had an arm rest sent from the States considering they are left hand drive and don't wear their right seats as much as us. It was in top knick compared to mine and neatens up the interior to no end..
At the same time I sourced a chip for DUDMD in the States and due to mine being the last of the E34's it has a different ECU meaning that my ECU needed some mods for it to work. DUDMD had a spare ECU so he made the modifications and installed the chip for me and sent it over. I installed it and WOW what a difference. A lot more go off the line and it revs that little bit more. it just feels so much more spritely all round, best bang for buck by far!!

Next on the hit list was the suspension. I had already lowered it with a set of Lovell's Super Lows, but the struts were blown out from the crap roads in the Hunter Valley so when the Mrs and I went to MOTOREX in 2012 I ordered a set of K-Sport Coil overs. The lip spoiler was ripped off the first day I re-fitted it over here so it's been sitting in the garage ever since. The coil overs were apparently in the next shipping container, however they didn't arrive until just before Christmas and we were off on our holiday across Aus for until the middle Feb. Needless to say I didn't get around to slipping the struts out before we left. So it's only in the last month have I had a chance to drop them out and drop them off at K-Sport in Sydney on our way to Melbourne.
I drove to Sydney last Friday and picked them up and after coming off a 13.5hr shift, having 3hrs sleep and then a 3.5hr drive and the 1st thing I see is that the sway bar link mounts aren't symmetrical from strut to strut. I also noticed that when I spun the hub the bearings were making a ticking sound!!! GRRRRR. They also charged me twice as much as they initially stated that it would cost for the strut mod as the strut tube has to be cut and a new sleeve welded on. :x

Anyway, as a bit of a compromise they gave me a pair of custom links at less than half price which will allow a little more adjustability to compensate as I wasn't leaving the struts there for another month...

Time to assemble.... on the lounge room floor of course :lol:

First things first was to check why the wheel bearings now have a ticking sound... Well, guess what, old mate has jammed his screw driver into the bearing cap whilst belting it with his hammer causing a dent which was catching on the bearing nut! FFS! Pay all this money to have the supposed experts do the job for you and they make not one but two stupid mistakes. Both caps were dented of course. He was trying to convince me on the day that it would be fine, just run it and the noise will go away he says... My reply was "You obviously don't realise that I'm a qualified mechanic by trade do you?" I was disappointed that I wasn't receiving a finished product the way that I would do the job for anyone else. So frustrating. Even down to the fact that they hadn't pre-loaded the springs or screwed the inserts in... And to make matters worse, I thought to myself on the way home that I'm also going to have to remove the hubs again to re-install the disc brake backing plates as they weren't fitted. When I got home they were no where to be seen. I rang back in the morning and proceeded to tell me that his customers don't want them fitted. My reply "I'm your customer and I want them fitted!" They better pull their finger out and get them to me ASAP!

In saying that. The front springs needed to be pre-loaded by compressing the spring using the adjusting nut to 170mm in length. The rears also have to be done but to 172mm in length.

Being in a rental I'm doing all this in the double garage with bugger all equipment, not even a vice.

I also have a nice new set of dimpled and slotted brake rotors sitting here ready to go on as well.

I'm hoping to get a chance to start installing it all tomorrow.

I will update the thread as I go.

In the meantime, here are some more pics of the car...

These ones were all taken out front of our acreage where we are currently building our new home.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:46 AM

I got stuck into the strut install today and fitted up the left front. The problem I have now (which I suspected would happen anyway) is that the tyre now hits the strut locking nuts. It looks as if I need thicker spacers which is a bugger. I'm going to adjust the coil over so it doesn't hit but I rekon it will look like a 4x4!

Anyways, here are some pics.

Just went out to the garage and had a bit of a look at the problem I'm faced with and it looks as if I will be requiring a 35mm spacer instead of the 20mm I already run... Seems a bit bloody extreme!

What to do, what to do? Might have to chuck the stocko's on for a while.

Ordered some custom 35mm spacers to see how they fit then..

Mitch
Old 06-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
NICE JOB, and NICE @$$ CAR!!!!
How dod you do the e39 gearshift conversion, i hate the "T" handle, plus mine is cracked, and the button it sticky
Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Can you tell me more about the muffler? I can not seem to find a dual in, dual out muffler that will fit like yours in the stock location. My straight pipes are great... most of the time. I would love to just take the edge off a little
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-540sport View Post
NICE JOB, and NICE @$$ CAR!!!!
How dod you do the e39 gearshift conversion, i hate the "T" handle, plus mine is cracked, and the button it sticky
You will need to cutdown the steel shaft that the T Bar sits on to accomodate the new knob and plunger. The new one looks longer however the old T Bar actually slips over the shaft a lot further and sits down a lot lower, hence the need to cut the shaft down.

I don't have a measurement though unfortunately. I did it a couple of years ago..

At first I simply extended the plunger by using a self tapping screw which worked but it looked horrible as it sat soo tall, so cutting down the shaft is the best option

"I usually downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can see me hurting the Environment"

Last edited by 1cut808; 06-29-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsled7 View Post
Can you tell me more about the muffler? I can not seem to find a dual in, dual out muffler that will fit like yours in the stock location. My straight pipes are great... most of the time. I would love to just take the edge off a little
We looked at installing 2x of them but opted for only the one as the system isn't overly loud even straight from the cats..

Here are the mufflers in question:

They are made by this mob http://www.berklee.com.au/

"I usually downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can see me hurting the Environment"

Last edited by 1cut808; 06-29-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E34 530it

Looks good

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-30-2013, 03:06 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
i have the E39 knob as well, i am yet to shortedn the shaft, but it looks to need about 3/4 of an inch or so. but if yours is anything like mine, you will see where the T-bar used to cover up to, and how high the bottom of the new nob is. that distance between those marks theoretically needs to come off the top.

I have the exact same coillovers as you do, just with a different sticker on the box. My bottom spring platform is more or less flush with the top of the tyre to get around the rubbing issue. Of course, this means a higher spring rate, so to maintain the height you will need to screw the bottom platform down a bit.

But with those enormous 19" wheels your ride quality is going to be rubbish. will handle well, but harsh. Id say it wont be long before you buckle one too. Im not usually a fan of non-oem style wheels, but your E34 doesnt look half bad on those

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 AM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Good work sir,

glad to see e34's getting this kind of love.. Sure wish i had most of your resources though.. I feel my own car would be a bit nicer/further along with some of that at my disposal... hahah

keep up the good work.

e34 / fck jdm / fck honda / BMW 540i
Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Josh

Mein Auto: 95 540i m sport
wow what a transformation! how do you like the ksports? That picture of the of your kid with them is adorable.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M540FELLA View Post
wow what a transformation! how do you like the ksports? That picture of the of your kid with them is adorable.
Not sure on them yet. Still not running. Will put it all back together on the weekend and run the stocko's until my new spacers arrive...

Mason... our 3 year old reckons they're pretty cool to!!

Thanks

Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Very, Very nice work. Looks and sounds great!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 93 525i
just got home from a long day at work and this brought my spirits up lol
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93tillInfinity View Post
just got home from a long day at work and this brought my spirits up lol
Thanks man

Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Finished off installing the coil overs yesterday. Still haven't received my old disc brake backing plates from K-Sport!! :evil:

Installed the drivers side strut and fitted brake line keepers to both sides as well as fitting the new rotors properly i.e. the right side on the right side LOL

Pic of the fronts installed after a quick road test (34 for needs a wash bad!). Could go a little lower but will wait for my spacers or the Style 67's to arrive.

18x10's for the rear with +26 offset and 18x9's for the front also with +26 offset.. Hopefully they will bolt straight up with no probs.. The 18x9's have been acquired and I'm eBay'ing for the 18x10's so hopefully I win them

Preloaded rears and set them up to same length as the Boges/Pedders and they were WAY too tall. At least they are easy to adjust. Now it sits too low in the rear so will have to wind it up just a little more.

Didn't realise my rear rotors were so knackered so will have to order a new pair to match the fronts. Will also start collecting all new steering components to tighten up the front end as most nearly everything except the items already upgraded with PowerFlex bushes has some sort of wear...

Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Josh

Mein Auto: 95 540i m sport
Re: Project: E34 530i Sedan rolling on 19"s

Look great man! I don't run any brake shields with my kido coilovers so far no issues.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M540FELLA View Post
Look great man! I don't run any brake shields with my kido coilovers so far no issues.

Roger that... I don't expect any issues by not having them installed it was more the point that I didn't ask them (K-SPORT) to remove them and that I will also need to get this car registered in the state im now living in which has the strictest laws as far as rego goes in Australia and i'm almost certain that this would be something that they would pick up on.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Is that NSW?

Im from New Zealand

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ View Post
Is that NSW?

Im from New Zealand
Yeah Cuz.. NSW, Hunter Valley... Chur Bro

Got me Jandles and me Chillybin

FIL is from Taranaki...

I'm a bit of a rotor fan and since you're a Kiwi I'm sure you are to??

Here is my old 808 that was featured in Fast Fours and Rotaries and also in Perth Street Car Magazine..

Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Just purchased these Style 67's... 19x9 and 19x10" with +26 offset for the grand total of $200 for the x4.. Pretty happy with that and hopefully it may help with my offset issues with the coil overs..

Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 AM

Adjusted the rear coil overs 10mm today which rectified my scrubbing issues. Tyres were just catching the inside of the lip of the guard... All good now!

Gave the old girl her first wash for nearly 6 months and installed a K&N filter I had sitting here waiting to go in.. Style 67's have been paid for and freight arranged. Will plasti dip them satin black when they arrive and get some tyres on them..

Drives SOO much better than before! Just have to sort the rims now and do all of the worn steering components and it should be like new again

So the list of to do's comprises of:

Tie rod ends (inner and outer)
Idler arm
Lower Control Arms
Centre Track Rod
Upper Thrust Arms
Rear Subframe Mounts
Wheel Alignment and set up the coil overs properly
Tappet Cover Gaskets
Rear RDA Slotted and Dimpled Rotors to match the fronts
Repair the Right Rear and the Left Front electric window winders again
Touch up a couple of the bumper mouldings again with Satin Black
Fit the new radiator fan surround
Replace the intake elbow to the throttle body as it is split (rubber tape repair at the moment)
And ultimately I'd love to find a higher ratio LSD differential

That's all I can think of for now, besides maybe a S/Charger later on down the track

Mitch

Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 AM
bmw fan

Mein Auto: bmw e34
awesome car mate!! love it i am from tassie but just moved to the US to study and have a bmw like your but manual and the same color but need new paint lol love your tune up keep up the good work
Old 07-14-2013, 02:30 AM
My other ride is ur wife

Mein Auto: 535is-m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cut808 View Post
Yeah Cuz.. NSW, Hunter Valley... Chur Bro

Got me Jandles and me Chillybin

FIL is from Taranaki...

I'm a bit of a rotor fan and since you're a Kiwi I'm sure you are to??
Hahaha stereotyping much!!

Get in, sit down, hang on, shut up!!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Yeah Dan.... Just a little LOL

Just repaired the R/Rear power window and redid the L/Front