Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I think the Michelin Latitude ZFT (run flat) all seasons are a great tire that can be patched, repaired, etc etc.

Just treat it like a conventional tire (ie dont drive it when flat) and you can use it precisely like a conventional tire (patch)

plus it gives you the added assurance of RFT if you or the wife ever needs it.

Michelin has recommended repair techniques (basically the same as conventional) but you simply cannot abuse the tire by driving 20 miles while flat and expect it to be repaired. People like to throw around a lot of hyperbole around rfts- as if it is a singular model of tire- but the truth is some mfgs. make a MUCH better RFT than others....

A
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528XI, 2010 X5 35D
Thanks much -- will look into those as well

We have had great experience with that brand of tires.
Kayaker21
Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Bmw rft

OK, like most of the people on this forum, I'm not excited about the RFTs that came with my 2012 X5. At 14,000 miles road noise became very noticeable. At 18,000 miles they had to be replaced. But I knew this would be the case going in to the purchase. But what gets me is that "my" BMW dealer (and BMW USA), don't sell the tires at cost to their customers. I can get the RFTs I need at a lower price at a tire shop. I should think BMW would be offering the best deals possible on the Rft to keep their customer base happy while the tire manufacturers figure out how to produce a better run flat. As a 35+ year BMW owner, I must admit the RFT issue is causing me to at least visit the MB dealer in town when I buy my next car.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrye777 View Post
OK, like most of the people on this forum, I'm not excited about the RFTs that came with my 2012 X5. At 14,000 miles road noise became very noticeable. At 18,000 miles they had to be replaced. But I knew this would be the case going in to the purchase. But what gets me is that "my" BMW dealer (and BMW USA), don't sell the tires at cost to their customers. I can get the RFTs I need at a lower price at a tire shop. I should think BMW would be offering the best deals possible on the Rft to keep their customer base happy while the tire manufacturers figure out how to produce a better run flat. As a 35+ year BMW owner, I must admit the RFT issue is causing me to at least visit the MB dealer in town when I buy my next car.
was the car perfectly aligned from the factory? 18k miles is low. Your toe was probably not optimal....totally unrelated to RFTs.

everyone know the LAST place to buy tires is the car dealer. BMW, Kia, Ford, etc

Finally MB has runflats on their cars...and they make a nice profit selling them at super retail too.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
I replaced my RFT at 22K miles and they still had a at least 2K worth of miles on them left. Mine got a bit loud at 17K miles. As Ard mentioned, 18K is low. Everything the dealer sells will have a markup (this is true for MB as well any other dealer). I would get tires at TireRack and have them installed at a reputable tire shop in your area. That's what I do.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd go to the reputable tire shop and say "I'd like to work with you long term, since I'm going to pay you to install them, if you match tirerack I'll give you mu business". Virtually EVERYONE can match tirerack.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: Z3,X5d,750Li,E93,1200RT&C
I have replaced two before their time and one a few k before it'd time because of nails etc. I did get well over 30k on the tires though. Mainly highway miles.
I would have no hesitation patching it like my Beemer tires as long as it is centered and not on side. I do have a spare as well as I did not want any air bellows that need replacement every few years.
On my 30 profile rifts on 335 it is a different story, and I am hosed when they go. Guarantee no tire shop within 50miles would have any replacements.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bimmers View Post
... I would have no hesitation patching it like my Beemer tires ...
Beemers is for motorcycles, Bimmers is for cars ...

So just why is a BMW car called a 'bimmer' not a 'beemer' or 'beamer, you ask?

The answer in part lies in knowing some BMW history and what came first.

All real BMW enthusiasts know that BMW got a big start on two wheels, what many call the real BMWs.

In those days, BMW motorcycles were quite active in racing, and one of their competitors at the track was often the BSA bikes.

Well as things would have it, a track slang developed, and the BMWs were usually referred to as 'beemers' and the BSAs were referred to as 'beesers'.

So, of course for any true enthusiast, there is no way that a BMW car could be called a 'beemer', so they were called 'bimmers'.

Unfortunately, in the US and Canada, and perhaps other countries, there was a time (kind of still is) where for various reasons, a BMW owner was considered an upwardly mobile person, and of course due to the fun in driving their BMWs most all of them had big grins on their faces.

Hence it is little surprise that the non enthusiast types out there incorrectly labeled BMW cars and their owners as 'beamers' or 'beemers'.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind321 View Post
The X5 I bought comes with Run-flat tires. What I have read on online forums is that if they go flat (or any other damage) then the repair cost is exorbitant.

The dealer was trying to sell me the "Tire Replacement" package for US $2000. Didn't take it.

Is it possible to replace them with regular tires - not right away but may be in future. Or that is not possible by design of the tires ?

Just checking if anyone have any experience or suggestions on this one.

Thanks!
Arvind
For the safety of you and your family, if it were me, I would replace with new run flats. My F30 328i came with Pirelli centurion P7's Run flats. They have a "A" Temp and "A" traction with a 500 tread wear.

I know this is not a ultra high performance tire, but I will replace with new (same tires) this summer. I have 22K miles on them so far, and expect to get at least 30K good miles in total. The price for each on Tire Rack is about $148.00 - 165.00 depending when you look for them.

We enjoy our Ultimate Driving Machine and drive in some remote areas; do not want to be stuck in the boonies with a flat.

These 3rd generation run flats are much better than previous generations. The price is right, handling is good, and tread life is excellent.
__________________________________________________ ________________
2013 Estoril Blue II 328i XDrive M Sport (stuffed) M Performance Brake Kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m sport.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	418033   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	418034  
Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328 M Sport View Post
We enjoy our Ultimate Driving Machine and drive in some remote areas; do not want to be stuck in the boonies with a flat.
Without a spare, you will get stuck in the boonies with or without run flats, either because the closest tire shop will be too far away, will be closed by the time you get there or the shop do not carry the correct size tire(s). If they do, expect paying through the nose.

Found this out during a trip through NC mountains one evening. All local tire shops closed at 5 pm, so I had to stay overnight to get the tire fixed. Of course, they didn't have the correct size tires, so they would have to order one from the closest larger city (Asheville) at a price I wasn't willing to pay. In the end, had the shop patch the tire ($20) and I was on my way.

Lesson learned, I carry a spare tire all the time now, even with run flats.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I think the Michelin Latitude ZFT (run flat) all seasons are a great tire that can be patched, repaired, etc etc.

Just treat it like a conventional tire (ie dont drive it when flat) and you can use it precisely like a conventional tire (patch)

plus it gives you the added assurance of RFT if you or the wife ever needs it.

Michelin has recommended repair techniques (basically the same as conventional) but you simply cannot abuse the tire by driving 20 miles while flat and expect it to be repaired. People like to throw around a lot of hyperbole around rfts- as if it is a singular model of tire- but the truth is some mfgs. make a MUCH better RFT than others....

A
Ard is correct. In my experience, run flats can be patched and plugged, just like a normal tire. Some tire shops will refuse to repair any run flats, so you will have to find the ones that do. I've driven with mine patched and plugged for at least 15,000 miles now, no problems. Obviously, you have to make the call if it's worth taking the risk as any repaired tire is not going to be as strong as an intact tire.

The Michelin Latitudes that came with our 2012 are superior compared to the Bridgestone Duelers that came with the 2010.

Edit: The patched and plugged tires are both Bridgestone

Last edited by finnbmw; 01-20-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Without a spare, you will get stuck in the boonies with or without run flats, either because the closest tire shop will be too far away, will be closed by the time you get there or the shop do not carry the correct size tire(s). If they do, expect paying through the nose.

Found this out during a trip through NC mountains one evening. All local tire shops closed at 5 pm, so I had to stay overnight to get the tire fixed. Of course, they didn't have the correct size tires, so they would have to order one from the closest larger city (Asheville) at a price I wasn't willing to pay. In the end, had the shop patch the tire ($20) and I was on my way.

Lesson learned, I carry a spare tire all the time now, even with run flats.
Wow finnbmw, sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. It was my understanding that I could drive on the flat tire long enough to find a tire shop. I would have had it patched too and replaced the tire later in your situation as well. Really hate the idea of carrying a spare all the time, but good advise to carry one from now on. Thx.
__________________________________________________ ________________
2013 Estoril Blue II 328i XDrive M sport with M Performance Brake Kit upgrade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m sport.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	418051  
Old 01-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 5401
Interesting thread.
Just bought X5 with 3rd seat, rfts (originally), and no spare, jack, etc.
Previous owner has installed nrfts Toyos.
In reading this thread, it sounds like the run-flats are not intended to be driven on-flat. Yes, you can limp to safety, but all other inconveniences resulting from a flat tire remain.
For me, since my wife will be the primary driver, and she has never changed a flat tire in her life, the best choice is a current Roadside assistance program.
I know that's her preference, rfts or conventional.

2012 X5 35d
2001 540i
1971 Super Beetle
1967 911S