Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335 Coupe
Question X3 Rattles ?

I am considering an X3 and was wondering if there are alot of rattles from the retractable cargo cover and cargo area?
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
X3 Rattles ?

I've not noticed any yet. Had the X3 for 4 months now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Previously owned:
  • 2004 X3 3.0
  • 1997 328is
Old 07-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
My X3 is still in its first month, but it is 100% rattle-free!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i
X3 Rattles ?

Same here, I'm rattle free

Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
X3 Rattles ?

2 months now. No rattles that I have noticed.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
In it's 7th month, hear the flap (as in the overhanging portion of the retractable cover) flick when the car goes over a hard bump...but then everything stowed in the rear compartment also made their presence heard; they all went up and down. So, I guess that doesn't count. Otherwise, absolute silence.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
2 years, no rattles. Some have had rattles, most have resolved them.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011BMWX3 3.5 Twin Turbo
x3 rattles

Bought my 2011 X3 35I in April 2011 and have had no issues so far with rattles. Car still as tight as the first day I drove it.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
X3 Rattles ?

2 months and 5000 miles. No issues so far

Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
X3 Rattles ?

1yr, 4months. No rattles but there are/were creaking sounds from the interior plastic trim in the cargo area when going over bumps or any condition that causes body twist (like backing out of the driveway at an angle). I said "were" because I spent about 8hr this weekend taking apart all the plastic interior panels in the cargo area and put the fuzzy cloth tape at all places where any two plastic trim pieces met. I found that the creaking comes from plastic rubbing on plastic. I also put a strip of felt under the cargo door threshold. The handle of the cargo area pull cover is a source of noise too. I took it apart (the are 2 screws holding it together), seperated the two halves of the handle, and put the fuzzy tape in the inside where the two halves contact each other. The end result of all that work is complete silence from the cargo area at all times. I'm happy. Fyi, the tape in question is bmw part number:61136908716. You can get it anywhere that sells bmw parts. I got mine ecstuning.com. $15 for a 45ft roll. Felt can be purchased at any art/craft store.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:02 PM
2011 X3 35i

I had an issue. See link.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...985&highlight=
Old 07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
2011 X3 35i

And had this door issue as well...

See 05-18-2013, 06:42 PM reply in linked thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...823&highlight=
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfeiner View Post
1yr, 4months. No rattles but there are/were creaking sounds from the interior plastic trim in the cargo area when going over bumps or any condition that causes body twist (like backing out of the driveway at an angle). I said "were" because I spent about 8hr this weekend taking apart all the plastic interior panels in the cargo area and put the fuzzy cloth tape at all places where any two plastic trim pieces met. I found that the creaking comes from plastic rubbing on plastic. I also put a strip of felt under the cargo door threshold. The handle of the cargo area pull cover is a source of noise too. I took it apart (the are 2 screws holding it together), seperated the two halves of the handle, and put the fuzzy tape in the inside where the two halves contact each other. The end result of all that work is complete silence from the cargo area at all times. I'm happy. Fyi, the tape in question is bmw part number:61136908716. You can get it anywhere that sells bmw parts. I got mine ecstuning.com. $15 for a 45ft roll. Felt can be purchased at any art/craft store.

gfeiner-

Did you take the interior plastic cover off the tailgate? If so, how do I get it off? I think my rattling is coming from the tailgate. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2512 View Post
gfeiner-

Did you take the interior plastic cover off the tailgate? If so, how do I get it off? I think my rattling is coming from the tailgate. Thanks!

The only plastic I removed from the tailgate was 1. the two doors that allow access to the adaptive brake lights on the tailgate and 2. the arch trim that encloses the top and sides of the tailgate window.

The brake light access doors popped of easily with a flathead screw driver (be careful not to scratch the plastic). The the arch trim required a little more muscle. It pulls straight off. Just get your fingers under the edge and start yanking, working your way from one end to the other. A plastic/nylon pry tool can help put pressure at the exact spots where it attaches. That way you don't have to yank quite so hard. It attaches to the tailgate in 3 or 4 places with those little, white, "nipple" style push connectors that are used everywhere else in the interior. You need to remove the top piece 1st because it rests on top of the ends of the side pieces.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 PM
SD_Bimmer

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 , 2008 328i Sedan
No rattles from the cover on the 2013 so far at 8000 miles, my 3 series wagon had this problem. The new X3 is a solid SAV, love so much I am neglecting my beloved 2008 3 Series.

2013 X3 SAV, all the goodies - Mineral Silver
2008 3 Series, Sport/Technology - Sparkling Graphite
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Angry New x3 - rattles & problems

Just too many RATTLES in the X3. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYBODY TO BUY THIS VEHICLE.

I have had many more issues with the vehicle in the last couple
of days which I have personally brought to the notice of BMW India but to NO GAIN... Here is the sequence of events.

1. 31st May - Delivery taken
2. 31st May - within an hour, car returned to the service center with the
rear AC problem. Took around 5hrs to rectify
3. 31st May - car returned to me
4. 3rd June - left front door noise, service people again try and repair
the same. They communicated to me that the problem was solved
5. 4th June - same door noise problem back, car once again goes to the
service center and takes about 6hrs to repair
6. 10th June - right front door intermittent noise, problem communicated
7. 13th June - goes back to the workshop
8. 23rd June - vehicle returned back
9. 27th June - problem of rattles back... car sent back to the service station
10. 29th June - vehicle has come back
11. 1st July - problem of door rattle back
12. 4th July - vehicle back to the service station
13. 5th July - vehicle returned to me
14. 9th July - sunroof rattling and 12th July- door rattle back again

NOW WHO WOULD RECOMMEND BUYING X3 IN SUCH A CASE ? BMW HAS ONLY OFFERED TO KEEP REPAIRING THE VEHICLE. ALL THESE PROBLEMS HAVE HAPPENED WITHIN A MONTH OF PURCHASE. NO EMPATHY, NO COMPENSATION, NOTHING.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
So sorry to hear about your problems. Some new cars are just a pain. I hope your problem can be solved. My only issue with the X3 was squeaky door seals on driver's side. It has since been fixed.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
[QUOTE=gfeiner;7696286]1yr, 4months. No rattles but there are/were creaking sounds from the interior plastic trim in the cargo area when going over bumps or any condition that causes body twist (like backing out of the driveway at an angle). I said "were" because I spent about 8hr this weekend taking apart all the plastic interior panels in the cargo area and put the fuzzy cloth tape at all places where any two plastic trim pieces met. I found that the creaking comes from plastic rubbing on plastic. I also put a strip of felt under the cargo door threshold. The handle of the cargo area pull cover is a source of noise too. I took it apart (the are 2 screws holding it together), seperated the two halves of the handle, and put the fuzzy tape in the inside where the two halves contact each other. The end result of all that work is complete silence from the cargo area at all times. I'm happy. Fyi, the tape in question is bmw part number:61136908716. You can get it anywhere that sells bmw parts. I got mine ecstuning.com. $15 for a 45ft roll. Felt can be purchased at any art/craft store.

WOW, I have to print this and take it to my Dealer!!!
I have the same Creaking sound from my cargo hatch, it drives me nuts!!!!!!!
I have had it into the dealer twice for the noise. Both times they said they fixed it, but i heard it even befoe i got home from the dealer.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
No issues with my '14 F25 X3 and no issues with my '05 E83 X3.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=birdboyzz;7705843]
Quote:

WOW, I have to print this and take it to my Dealer!!!
I have the same Creaking sound from my cargo hatch, it drives me nuts!!!!!!!
I have had it into the dealer twice for the noise. Both times they said they fixed it, but i heard it even befoe i got home from the dealer.
The interior trim pieces I removed were the cargo door threshold piece, C & D pillar trim (both sides) and the cover that sits on top of both rear seatbelt retractors and the trim pieces of the cargo door I mentioned in one of my earlier replies. A good practice I find is to push around all over the interior, locating the creaks, and marking them with a piece of blue painter's tape.

Last edited by gfeiner; 07-12-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x3 xdrive35i
X3 Rattles ?

2011 x3 35i, 30k miles, zero rattles. Only problem was driver window noise when opening or closing it which BMW fixed.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=gfeiner;7706041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboyzz View Post

The interior trim pieces I removed were the cargo door threshold piece, C & D pillar trim (both sides) and the cover that sits on top of both rear seatbelt retractors and the trim pieces of the cargo door I mentioned in one of my earlier replies. A good practice I find is to push around all over the interior, locating the creaks, and marking them with a piece of blue painter's tape.
Can you explain how to remove rear seatbelt retractor cover trim?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
March 2011 35xi, 28K miles, both highway and gravel roads. No rattles yet!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=jsl1419;7762234]
Quote:

Can you explain how to remove rear seatbelt retractor cover trim?
1. remove the C pillar trim to give you more room. To do this, you need to carefully pry up the plastic emblem on it that says "air bag". There is a screw underneath that emblem. Then you just pull the trim out and up, wiggling it as you go to coax it out.

2. remove the cargo cover

3. get your fingers underneath/behind the front of the retractor cover where the seatbelt enters is and pull forward a little and then yank the whole thing upward toward the ceiling. It's a snug fit so it took some effort. When you are tugging on it, it will pop free suddenly. The cover has little clips all over the underside which is what makes it so difficult to remove.

that is the best way I found to remove it. I couldn't find any BMW tis documentation that showed their official way of removing that retrator cover.

FYI, in case you don't know what "c" pillar is:
1. A pillar are the ones on either side of your windshield
2. B pillar is the one where the driver and passenger seat belts attach.
3. C pillar is the one I mentioned
4. D pillar are the last ones at each rear corner of the vehicle.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=gfeiner;7762562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl1419 View Post

1. remove the C pillar trim to give you more room. To do this, you need to carefully pry up the plastic emblem on it that says "air bag". There is a screw underneath that emblem. Then you just pull the trim out and up, wiggling it as you go to coax it out.

2. remove the cargo cover

3. get your fingers underneath/behind the front of the retractor cover where the seatbelt enters is and pull forward a little and then yank the whole thing upward toward the ceiling. It's a snug fit so it took some effort. When you are tugging on it, it will pop free suddenly. The cover has little clips all over the underside which is what makes it so difficult to remove.

that is the best way I found to remove it. I couldn't find any BMW tis documentation that showed their official way of removing that retrator cover.

FYI, in case you don't know what "c" pillar is:
1. A pillar are the ones on either side of your windshield
2. B pillar is the one where the driver and passenger seat belts attach.
3. C pillar is the one I mentioned
4. D pillar are the last ones at each rear corner of the vehicle.
Thanks so much!!!