Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-21-2002, 08:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Red Z3 Coupe
Unhappy I think I broke my Drivers Seat!!

Well, I removed the foam from behind my drivers seat a few months back. I'm 6'1 and the extra recline felt great for me. ANyway, about a week ago, I was readjusting my seat...powered the seat forward reclined the seat all the way back...powered the seat all the way back.

So Im sitting at a stop light, and decide to reach from a cd in my passenger footwell when the back of my seat springs forward about two inches. Strange I think, so I recline the seat back again, and as soon as I take my weight off the seat, the back moves forward again.

The seat back is not moving all the way vertical, but basically back to the stock position with the seat all the way back on the rails and with the foam under the carpet. Very strange....has anyone ever had this happen to them? I didnt hear anything snap or break. The car is still under warranty, so maybe the dealer could fix it. I just hope they dont say anything about the foam missing!

I have never taken a seat apart to see how reclining mechanism work, but think maybe something bent out of place? If anyone can help, please let me know, as this is driving me crazy!!
Old 05-23-2002, 11:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3.0 z3 coupe
interesting

I pulled my foam out 6 months ago, no problems that I know of.

guess I should move by seat