Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 740I
X3i trans fluid change 7/10/13

The latest info I have from Hendrick Motors in Hickory N.C. is that as x3brian confirmed,
there is a filter, and it is available from BMW parts, along with pan gasket. I am ordering
both since my trans fluid has not been changed in my 2007 X3. Current miles are 64,143
BMW Hickory says if you flush it will take 12 - 14 quarts on a flush machine. Also ordered the
transfer case fluid. Below are part numbers and price if anyone needs this info.

Transmission kit, filter and O ring ---------------------- 24117593565 $ 54.20
'Pan gasket ------------------------------------------------ 24117572618 $ 59.30
Transfer case oil ------------------------------------------ 83220397244 $ 51.44

Happy greasy hands.
Ads by Google
Old 07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
I personally would NOT flush the tranny, just change the filter and add fluid. But that is just my opinion.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 740i
OK Gabby, I would rather change than flush. But, the information on change indicates
4 quarts + 1/2 top off after the initial fill with engine running in park. Then later on do
that again to purge additional fluid from the converter. X3brian, who seems very
proficient says 9 quarts with this dual procedure. Still must be a lot of old fluid left if
BMW Hickory says 12 - 14 quarts for a flush. What is your procedure?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3

Rd--you will never get all of that fluid out of the torque converter in your garage ....easily. 14 quarts is a complete change of ALL fluid including pan and torque converter and does require some machinery to make happen.

The term fluid "flush" is really a misnomer. A more accurate term would be fluid "exchange" as what you are doing is exchanging old fluid from the torque converter by removing the fluid return line from the trans cooler while you fill new fluid in with the car running. You shut car off when fluid flowing out turns fresh red in color. This used to be realistically easy to do with a helper in your garage (messy though) when there was a trans dipstick under the hood. Now that its a fill plug under the car, I don't attempt this. To do it accurately now you would need a pneumatic machine that hooks onto trans cooler return line and fill plug and cycles new fluid in while old fluid is being captured in a tank as the car engine is running.

Instead I follow 25k mile fluid changes by dropping pan and filter, however I do the fluid portion again 150 miles later. It's much easier and does almost the same thing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by x3brian; 07-11-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Re: X3i trans fluid change 7/10/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Rd--you will never get all of that fluid out of the torque converter in your garage ....easily. 14 quarts is a complete change of ALL fluid including pan and torque converter and does require some machinery to make happen.

The term fluid "flush" is really a misnomer. A more accurate term would be fluid "exchange" as what you are doing is exchanging old fluid from the torque converter by removing the fluid return line from the trans cooler while you fill new fluid in with the car running. You shut car off when fluid flowing out turns fresh red in color. This used to be realistically easy to do with a helper in your garage (messy though) when there was a trans dipstick under the hood. Now that its a fill plug under the car, I don't attempt this. To do it accurately now you would need a pneumatic machine that hooks onto trans cooler return line and fill plug and cycles new fluid in while old fluid is being captured in a tank as the car engine is running.

Instead I follow 25k mile fluid changes by dropping pan and filter, however I do the fluid portion again 150 miles later. It's much easier and does almost the same thing.

I plan on doing the same as x3brian, but at 50k intervals.

Sent from my ADR6350 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 740i
Thanks for the new info Brian. My local tire and mechanic has a flush machine, so, if I decide to go the flush route, that job is his.
I do agree that the two drain procedure is the easy way to go, and will probably take that route. I got the transfer case oil from
BMW Hickory, was 51.44 with tax, so the first service guy I talked to probably knew it was not 96.00, or maybe not, but did not say anything.
When changing transfer case oil. I assume it has a drain and fill plug also?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Anyone have a link to the procedure? My wife's 07 X3 is approaching the 100k mile mark, and a driveline lubricant/fluid/filter change is something I definitely want to put on the near-term maintenance list. I may be overthinking things, as well, as I haven't actually crawled underneath the car in attempt to check out the transmission to see what's involved.

Last edited by Bufalo; 07-12-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Re: X3i trans fluid change 7/10/13

Google bavauto blog. They have a great video for this.

Sent from my ADR6350 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdconrad View Post
When changing transfer case oil. I assume it has a drain and fill plug also?
Yes it does. It is the same size bolt (both fill and drain) as you oil drain plug at 17mm. It also has the same style copper washer.

Access to the drain plug is a tight squeeze with the transmission cross member in the way. You will need a long handled box wrench to get it off w/o removing the cross member.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Yes it does. It is the same size bolt (both fill and drain) as you oil drain plug at 17mm. It also has the same style copper washer.

Access to the drain plug is a tight squeeze with the transmission cross member in the way. You will need a long handled box wrench to get it off w/o removing the cross member.

The transfer case drain plug required a 16mm open end wrench on my 2008 to remove. I did use a long pattern wrench to get in next to the cross member.

BMW CCA #422951

Last edited by al_macaroni; 07-12-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
Here is the post on our blog with videos for the filter and fluid change.

http://blog.bavauto.com/11194/bmw-di...ce-auto-trans/

This was done a high mileage E39 528i but the procedure is pretty much the same for all BMW's that don't have a dip stick for the transmission. Keep in mind this is the drain and fill method.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 740I
2007 X3 trans fluid change

Finally got around to changing my trans fluid this past weekend. Removed and clean
pan, replace filter & pan, added 4 quarts, then started engine and added 2.1 more
quarts while engine running and pan hot. I think the reason I was able to add 6.1
quarts was because I let the X3 sit overnight with the pan off and big drip pan below,
got about two more quarts. So, this may be helpful info for those of us who drain and
fill rather than full fluid exchange.