Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 740IL
740 steering please...anyone

I'm getting frustrated trying to get my power assisted steering fixed...it failed in such a fashion as to lead me to believe it's an electrical problem (there gone there gone there gone with the turn of a key then gone for good), not filter, hose, pump or fluid in nature. not gradual just gone..poof. Does anyone out there know what electrical components of a 2000 e38's steering might effect low speed assist if they fail???? Could it be the general module? a fuse? a speed sensor? the servotronic? the dsc? is there something on the steering box itself that is electric? (i read that's a likely cause if so replace whole box just the relay or whatever it is????) Currently i gave in and took it to the dealer to be diagnosed...they kept it overnight and i have the feeling after talking to one of their senior techs that even the obd can't give a conclusive diagnosis....I'm hoping for a miracle code of some sort that will pinpoint my problem so i don't have to go the dartboard route.

any input or shared experiences appreciated

sorry for a second post thought i'd rephrase my quest

regards
joe
Ads by Google
Old 02-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=32&fg=10

sounds like it could be a problem with the servotronic steering box. I would first look it over and make sure it's connector is properly seated. If you determine you need a new one let me know and I can see what they are going for on my end these days. I've heard of these going bad in the past.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM

let me know a price that was the bmw senior techs best guess as to the cause...fortunately i know an excellent mechanic who lets me source my own parts. Do i need the whole remanufactured box or just the servo control unit? 10 fold difference in price!

thanx
joe

Last edited by JOECAT; 02-17-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM

happy ending so far

so i got it back from the dealer today, it went in for a diagnosis and came back w/a fault in the general module (i had already sent it out to have the speed sensor relay replaced). the said they could replace it, reprogram it, plus diagnosis charge for about 780 clams. I said thanx but no thanx, paid the 125 fee and drove away with low speed power assist for the first time in a couple of years!!! I';m hoping whatever reboot they did to my car is permanent...not to be a negative but i fear if there is a problem in the gm it may put the servotronic system back in emergency mode after so many starts and stops.....now if i could just figure out how they rebooted everything.hmmmmm

Last edited by JOECAT; 02-18-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i sport
Bad GM

Just had a same problem in my car 1999 740i,installed and replaced it with used GM from 1998 740il reprogram cleared fault memory and now everything working great.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 740i
Is the reprogramming a dealer only thing or can it be done at a shop?
Only had my 98 740i a couple of months having lots of intrmitant elctrical problems, dealer says you have to get a new module but here seems like used ones work