Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Talking Another great discovery...

Took the new X3 to the dealer to pick up the new plates this morning, and while I was there I figured I would also pick up an oil filter for it and my '06 325i. I didn't realize it, but they both use the SAME oil filter. I bought both for about $14 each. I got home and took out my e90 oil cap removal tool, and BAM- fit right on the X3's oil cap! No new tools to order...although, as a guy that loves tools, that also made me a little sad.

So later on I was checking oil prices online at the local parts store and comparing them to Wally World...$8.99/qt. at parts store for Mobil 1 0wt-40. Steep. Wally World had the same qt. for $6.97, but also had a 5qt. container for $22.47....that's $4.49/qt. for Mobil 1 0wt-40! Needless to say, I now have enough of the stuff to change the oil on the X3 after the break in period and do the 325i this weekend. For those counting, even with the $14/filter price at the dealer, that's still under $50/oil change after tax, or put another way, both vehicles get fresh oil for less than the price of ONE oil change at the dealer (and most independent shops)!

Good times.

-JPFROG
2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2013, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfrog80 View Post
Took the new X3 to the dealer to pick up the new plates this morning, and while I was there I figured I would also pick up an oil filter for it and my '06 325i. I didn't realize it, but they both use the SAME oil filter. I bought both for about $14 each. I got home and took out my e90 oil cap removal tool, and BAM- fit right on the X3's oil cap! No new tools to order...although, as a guy that loves tools, that also made me a little sad.

So later on I was checking oil prices online at the local parts store and comparing them to Wally World...$8.99/qt. at parts store for Mobil 1 0wt-40. Steep. Wally World had the same qt. for $6.97, but also had a 5qt. container for $22.47....that's $4.49/qt. for Mobil 1 0wt-40! Needless to say, I now have enough of the stuff to change the oil on the X3 after the break in period and do the 325i this weekend. For those counting, even with the $14/filter price at the dealer, that's still under $50/oil change after tax, or put another way, both vehicles get fresh oil for less than the price of ONE oil change at the dealer (and most independent shops)!

Good times.

-JPFROG
I like the way you think! Picked up two 0 - 40, 5 quart containers myself today from Walmart.
Bought the filter from O'reilly's since the dealership is 90 miles away. It's made by Bosch, $17. Did not come with the small '0' ring though.