Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
So is the xline f15 a marketing joke?

So I'm looking at the f15. X line brochure here, and I'm wondering what purpose does that exactly serve.

The F15 launch material doesn't stress the offroad prowess the launch material for the e70 showed, like offroad testing videos and etc. by that i conclude that BMW recognizes that this vehicle is not designed for the offload hence why market it as that. But then the x line comes up and I'm left to wonder is that line offered so mall moms can showcase their faux offroader?

At least Benz offers their ML AND GL with a true offroad package with lock difs, a customizable air susp, and skid plates.

What does the xline offer besides design elements

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Acura RL
where did you get the brochure for the F15 X5?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:14 PM

The Leaked scans for the F15 X5 are widely available on the web. Not the brochure just the order guide

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 07-14-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Acura RL
Thanks I'll go "a trawling" (-:
Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
Having driven a 2012 X5 at the performance driving center, I can tell you it can do some serious off roaring. 20" plus of water, steep grades on 2 wheels and HDC made it seem very capable. Far more so than , I would at first thought.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM

^The PDC course is a great way to see how the BMW can hold itself off the beaten path. The E70 marketing material actually emphasizes that prowess (how minimal it maybe). The E70 in reality is just a a glorified tall BMW station Wagon when it comes to German Xovers. However I wont dump on the E70 for the lack of prowess since, it a) would never need it b) at the time of entry the E70s competition was also from vehicles which didnt really come with good offroad hardware at least in NA markets (exceptions T-egg, Cayenne. MB offered offroad packs to its stable for the EURO market).

Back to my original point:

F15 looks lower in my opinion, and thus anything to reduce its offroad exterior chops is a bad idea.

From the official BMW USA website:

xline offer:

19" Light alloy Orbit Grey wheels (Bigger wheels purpose?)
Roof rails in Satin Aluminum (not really worth having roof rails like the non-functionals one from the x3)
Silver matte Kidney grille (purpose?)
Satin aluminum line window surround (purpose?)
Sport leather steering wheel (purpose?)
Aluminum running boards (Why make the car even more non-functional, hits your pant legs and gets them dirty, and has no point on an XLINE car)
Silver matte exhaust pipes (purpose?)
Silver matte rear bumper accent (purpose?)
Silver matte side air intakes (purpose?)

Now days almost all of the brands carry some sort of official offroad package offerings. Look at Benz. BMW needs to step up their game on the X-line and make it a true off-road offering thats comparable or better than the competition

Why does this matter?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
Having driven a 2012 X5 at the performance driving center, I can tell you it can do some serious off roaring. 20" plus of water, steep grades on 2 wheels and HDC made it seem very capable. Far more so than , I would at first thought.
You did not drive one of the newer 2014 models though and THAT is the OP's point. I also drove the E70 model @ the PDC and agree, they are VERY capable. Personally, I would think that the new X5 would do "just as well" as the current year model. I was lucky enough to get a ride in the new 2014 proto types and can tell you that they can REALLY handle on the highway at extreme speeds around corners. 70MPH+ aroud a 180 degree turn and never once felt "loose or out of control"

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 08-11-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:57 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
So I'm looking at the f15. X line brochure here, and I'm wondering what purpose does that exactly serve.s
I see your point and you're right that it basically is an all cosmetic package - but to be fair, the M-Line doesn't turn the X5 into a true M, either...