Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
I'm with x3brian. Got mine from the dealer and did a self install. OE hitch is pricier than others but you get everything you need to include a Siemens trailer light control box that plugs right into the car and works seamlessly.

ECS sells the OE BMW hitch, BMW part number 71600035368

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/E83_Ro...ches/ES185398/

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=71&fg=10

This is a picture of mine. I did my own and this is how I chose to trim the rear bumper cover.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1279.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	383226  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E83 Hitch installation.pdf (604.9 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-23-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
I got mine from circlebmwparts.com for 272 plus s&h around 30$. It was the best price I found. Good luck and pay close attention to the instructions. Also make sure you don't unplug some other wires in the process. Don't ask me how I know that.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Hi Julie, glad to see your moving in the DIY direction. As others have said, there is no explicit reprogramming involved. The included electronic module plugs into a prewired harness that sits under the floor board of your X3's trunk. That module takes care of altering the X3's behavior, when a trailer is attached to the vehicle.

That hitch is by far the most useful accessory I've added to my X3.

I picked up my hitch at a local dealer. Here's their website:
www.getbmwparts.com

BMWCCA Member

Last edited by ngcreese; 06-24-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2005
Thanks for all your help. I just ordered then hitch kit from the site you recommended. Great price. I'll let you know how the install goes.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Just a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic49 View Post
hitch install took me around 1.5 hours Hitch is around $150 online

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2005_BMW_X3.htm

if you want to tow a trailer at some point the electronics is another $100 from the dealer.
I was reading the reviews from etrailer on the CURT hitch, someone mentioned that the cross-member part was not rounded off and made the bumper push out when reattached. Did you have that problem, or is that for just the 2006 X3? The BMW install instructions someone else posted a link to for 2006 says to cut off this steel part? That seems like something I don't have the tools for...

It seems like I've seen on the BMW website the installed hitch and it looks like there is a trim piece that covers up all the cutting that is required with this install. It there a way to tidy all those edges up so it doesn't look like I did it?

Also, if I really am only planning on using it for my bike rack, do I need to do the electronics? Sounds like I don't, but is that something that is easy enough to do later if I did end up getting some new toy that would require more towing?

Thanks,
Julie
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by driveme.julie View Post
I was reading the reviews from etrailer on the CURT hitch, someone mentioned that the cross-member part was not rounded off and made the bumper push out when reattached. Did you have that problem, or is that for just the 2006 X3? The BMW install instructions someone else posted a link to for 2006 says to cut off this steel part? That seems like something I don't have the tools for...

It seems like I've seen on the BMW website the installed hitch and it looks like there is a trim piece that covers up all the cutting that is required with this install. It there a way to tidy all those edges up so it doesn't look like I did it?

Also, if I really am only planning on using it for my bike rack, do I need to do the electronics? Sounds like I don't, but is that something that is easy enough to do later if I did end up getting some new toy that would require more towing?

Thanks,
Julie
On my pre-facelift there was no clearance issue what so ever. There is a little piece of plastic on the bumper that needs to be trimmed but that is no different then the factory hitch. And if you have the trim cover piece on the lover bumper panel that snaps in then the trimming can be done with (very sharp industrial style) scissors or a box cutter as it is not a part you would see externally.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:34 AM

Ah, yes! There might be some plastic structure on the back side of your bumper that won't be seen externally. You can cut through that using a dremel tool, from Walmart. But when you go to cut the external portion of the bumper please use a razor blade from Home Depot because those cuts you'll want precise and you won't get that from a dremel tool.

Also while you're in there you should really just go ahead and plug in that electronic module and run the small wire harness that goes to the hitch because the real time consumer is not the electronics it's the removal and reattachment of the bumper (...and making a nice clean cut out) and even that isn't really a big deal. This is going to be a fun project for you.

Couple other things... if your doing this job on concrete or asphalt... lay out a couple beach towels so you have some place soft to lay the bumper on and not scratch it.

Lastly since your hanging onto your ride for a while longer. You might want to consider getting a BMWCCA membership... long story short most bmw dealerships offer some level of discount on parts and labor right at the service desk.

The shop I goto for service takes 20% off parts and 10% labor, for example. It's been my experience that they don't volunteer this discount info, you have to ask.... go figure.

BMWCCA Member

Last edited by ngcreese; 06-27-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I was reading the reviews from etrailer on the CURT hitch, someone mentioned that the cross-member part was not rounded off and made the bumper push out when reattached. Did you have that problem, or is that for just the 2006 X3? The BMW install instructions someone else posted a link to for 2006 says to cut off this steel part?
No fit issues on facelift models either. Mine went just like the DIY that x3brian referred to in his post.

Just plastic trimming on the cover.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
A professional hitch shop located near my suburb quoted me $440 installed for a 2" receiver wiring and all. He has done 2 minivans for me and does probably 90% of the cars in my area. The guy quoting $775 sounds very high.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
A professional hitch shop located near my suburb quoted me $440 installed for a 2" receiver wiring and all. He has done 2 minivans for me and does probably 90% of the cars in my area. The guy quoting $775 sounds very high.
You have to be careful using aftermarket light kits on BMW's as they monitor bulb heath. Even some of the units that are powered separately have triggered a "bulb out" light on the dash. You also lose the towing eye receptacle with aftermarket hitches.

You can buy the OE BMW trailer light module separately but I don't think you can buy the harness to go with it:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...5253/ES169157/
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Usaret, thanks I'll watch out for that and question them about the light harness.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Roof mount - no way. Been there done that. You WILL forget eventually. Leave sun roof open, yellow post it note on the instrument cluster "bike bike bike on roof". Drive for 6+ hours. Brain a bit foggy, drive under a low clearance, crash, bike fork mount releases at front. Bike rotates off roof and down the left side denting the door panels (and THAT is the expensive thing to fix not the bike). Bike rack bent out of shape. Bike survived ok. Full suspension compressed and absorbed. The Car did not. The roof racks did not.
OK, so I had to get home.
Panel beated the racks during the 2 days away. Drove home. Reversed under the drive way shade sails . . oh &)^*$&%$ . . . . I did it again.
So no way will l EVER use roof racks for bikes again.
I have internal racks I built (but need to remove bike seats, front wheels and so a pain to use albiet much neater and more secure) and a hitch rack.
The hitch rack is the easiest. Yes the bikes get dirty but a small price to pay IMO.

Edit: typo
Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3oiler View Post
Roof mount - no way. Been there done that. You WILL forget eventually. Leave sun roof open, yellow post it note on the instrument cluster "bike bike bike on roof". Drive for 6+ hours. Brain a bit foggy, drive under a low clearance, crash, bike fork mount releases at front. Bike rotates off roof and down the left side denting the door panels (and THAT is the expensive thing to fix not the bike). Bike rack bent out of shape. Bike survived ok. Full suspension compressed and absorbed. The Car did not. The roof racks did not.
OK, so I had to get home.
Panel beated the racks during the 2 days away. Drove home. Reversed under the drive way shade sails . . oh &)^*$&%$ . . . . I did it again.
So no way will l EVER use roof racks for bikes again.
I have internal racks I built (but need to remove bike seats, front wheels and so a pain to use albiet much neater and more secure) and a hitch rack.
The hitch rack is the easiest. Yes the bikes get dirty but a small price to pay IMO.
I agree 100%. This our setup. The Yakima Holdup 2.

Another plus is loading and unloading. I have a bad back (multi-level spinal fusion) which makes loading bikes on the roof impossible for me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2555.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	384631  
Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Broken screw, what do I do now?

Here are the instructions I used:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...h-2006-x3.html

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app[/QUOTE]

I'm working on this project right now, and two screws snapped off. I'm using these AWESOME instructions...thanks for posting them. So, in instructions #1 , #11 there are metal screws with a plastic nut on the end of these threaded screws and when undoing them the metal snapped off with the plastic bolt. They look rusted on the inside. I'm ready to reattach the bumper now, end not sure what to do to securely refasten these two areas. Suggestions?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw
Quote:
Quote:
Here are the instructions I used:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...h-2006-x3.html

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'm working on this project right now, and two screws snapped off. I'm using these AWESOME instructions...thanks for posting them. So, in instructions #1 , #11 there are metal screws with a plastic nut on the end of these threaded screws and when undoing them the metal snapped off with the plastic bolt. They look rusted on the inside. I'm ready to reattach the bumper now, end not sure what to do to securely refasten these two areas. Suggestions?
now that I think about it i'm sure I left those off as they sized and snapped the stud as well.

Last edited by Dominic49; 07-18-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 PM

www.getbmwparts.com
They should have it for around $320... It's where I bought my hitch.

BMWCCA Member

Last edited by ngcreese; 07-17-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0i
I got my hitch from GetBMWparts this afternoon and it is installed already. The Xoutpost.com instructions were great, and my '04 is a little easier to do because there is no bumper cutting and a little box knife trimming on the liner. I ordered an INNO bike rack from http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/69A4840A0A0.aspx , the three bike model because it only fits a 2" hitch so it fits with no rattles. only $167. Part Number - INH303

Last edited by fhopper; 08-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Dealer Schmealer quoted $1200 and change to install the hitch. Insane. I don't care how many loaners and cups of coffee they offer in exchange.

Thought about the roof rack although more for kayak than for bikes.

Ended up with this:

http://www.brompton.co.uk/pages/9035

Might eventually try something like this:

http://www.orukayak.com/
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 AM

I am a sailor and in my world folding bikes are for serious cruisers who need to get around in new ports. We don't have the cycling tradition for the purpose of transportation that you do in the UK. Our bikes are as much vanity statements as anything else. I buy my bikes at Walmart so my sense of vanity is pretty low.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM

FWIW you can see my Econoline 150 in the background of my photos. the bottom of the hitch opening on my X3 is 13 1/2" off the ground, the van is only 11", who'd a thunk it? On the van my 29er hits the ground when the rack is fully tipped, not on the X3! That is not my 29er in the photos, it is an old Schwinn 26 Mesa Runner.

Last edited by fhopper; 08-21-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhopper View Post
I am a sailor and in my world folding bikes are for serious cruisers who need to get around in new ports. We don't have the cycling tradition for the purpose of transportation that you do in the UK. Our bikes are as much vanity statements as anything else. I buy my bikes at Walmart so my sense of vanity is pretty low.
Actually in the US. The bike is made in the UK hence the link.

There is a Dahon folding version for sailors (used to sail once in awhile, have not in a long time) that has a better paint job for wet conditions. The folders are small enough to keep in the car all the time just in case a biking opportunity presents itself. Hope to get more exercise in that way but only time will tell if this strategy works!

Two of these folders will fit into the back of a standard Prius. Now that's small.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM

That's an elegant solution.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 318is
for the hitch, i was quoted 1200.00 at local bmw dealer, 940.00 from local independent. called three different Uhaul places and got three different prices ranging from 594.00-705.00. those were obviously not the BMW kit. i bought the BMW kit with harness from getbmwparts as some others for 320.00 but they charge a 75.00 flat rate shipping now. still about 250.00 less than what local dealer was selling for. did the install myself and saved about 550.00 total. took 4 hrs takingmy time using the awesome directions on the xoutpost link above. had the hitch on and wiring installed in about 1.5hrs. took a lot of time trimming and fitting the bumper with the wrong tools. if i would have followed the cut-out pattern on the link instead of doing a little at a time i could have easily shaved off an hour or more.
for the bike carrier I ordered a 1UP USA carrier that is highly recommended on MTBR.com. Its aluminum, made in USA and light. I'll post up some pics when I get it.