Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Rock & Roll

Mein Auto: X3
BMW noob. X3 noob. Expert Alcoholic

Hello Bimmerfest, I'm Bill, I just recently purchased a 2006 X3 6-speed manual. I have been driving Honda's my whole life- so I'm a bit out of my comfort zone when it comes to all things BMW.

I purchased the Bimmer to help preserve my 1991 Honda Civic Wagon; and beat up on/dailydrive the X3. Most people think I have it backwards.

I also enjoy beer. snowboarding. skateboarding. photos/film.

I like this website- I've been reading a lot of the quick links. Great info on some OEM X3 mods.

pix. The day I brought it home.

I havent done much. I plasti-dipped the wheels black as they weren't in incredible shape and I like the "murdered-out" look if you will.

and perhaps for your commedic enjoyment. This is Wendy.

_a_
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
teh funnay!!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Rock & Roll

I'm finding out, what ever you do. DONT. TOUCH. THE. SUNROOF.

good job bmw
Old 07-17-2013, 05:21 AM

Sick Wagovan If only people realized how rare they are and hard to find in great condition I use to daily my Sti and kept my dc2 parked, so I def understand where your coming from. Clean X3 btw

Last edited by SoLOwX3; 07-17-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Well the good news is you won't be able to see the brake dust on your wheels now.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Rock & Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLOwX3 View Post
Sick Wagovan If only people realized how rare they are and hard to find in great condition I use to daily my Sti and kept my dc2 parked, so I def understand where your coming from. Clean X3 btw
Thank you sir, Its a civic wagon (not a wagovan- the moderators on Civicwagon.com will have your hide for not using the correct terms, lols ) Like calling every gsr a type-r or the opposite of that. Wagovan was the lowest model of civic wagon and I believe only made in 88-89. And there are bunch of other differences but no one cares... So yeah do you still have your DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Well the good news is you won't be able to see the brake dust on your wheels now.
Correct. ITs a win win!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0iA
Hey welcome! Liking the wagon. I saw this vid once and your car reminds me of it. Can you make a vid like this for us>?????

Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
phat civic dude!

i did a CZ swap for a guy a few years back..

yep dont touch the sunroof..
keep on the oil changes..
watch that transfer case... and enjoy!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Rock & Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDanAttack View Post
Hey welcome! Liking the wagon. I saw this vid once and your car reminds me of it. Can you make a vid like this for us>?????
ahh yes the famous wago video, an enjoyable video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
phat civic dude!

i did a CZ swap for a guy a few years back..

yep dont touch the sunroof..
keep on the oil changes..
watch that transfer case... and enjoy!
thanks sir. she's about due for an oil change. Stealership said its 98 bucks, is that normal? The Hondar can have a year supply of oil changes for that price. This must be what they call the BMW tax.

Anyways the X3 got a few new accessories.
Window visors.

sun roof visor

valve caps.

some friends came into town, So we took them for a hike up to Red Rocks. I am really enjoying my X3...

I will take some better photos of the X3 soon
Old 08-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i, 6 Speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
she's about due for an oil change. Stealership said its 98 bucks, is that normal? The Hondar can have a year supply of oil changes for that price. This must be what they call the BMW tax.
Looking good, and welcome aboard

My indy charges me $95, and tells me he makes $10 after buying the redline oil i specify (sounds about right after you look at quart prices of redline online), I think BMW here charges 90-$100 as well. You are paying for full synthetic, and hopefully high quality oil, and of course BMW's labor rate of $120/hr. Also, you get free coffee and internet while you wait, so that has to be paid for too

Remember though, you don't need an oil change every 3k like with the Honda. While BMW recommends 15k while under their warrantied service, most people will recommend a change every 5k-7500 from what I find. I set out for the 5k interval myself, and usually get it in the shop by 5500.

BMWCCA Member - New Jersey Chapter
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedz View Post
Looking good, and welcome aboard

My indy charges me $95, and tells me he makes $10 after buying the redline oil i specify (sounds about right after you look at quart prices of redline online), I think BMW here charges 90-$100 as well. You are paying for full synthetic, and hopefully high quality oil, and of course BMW's labor rate of $120/hr. Also, you get free coffee and internet while you wait, so that has to be paid for too

Remember though, you don't need an oil change every 3k like with the Honda. While BMW recommends 15k while under their warrantied service, most people will recommend a change every 5k-7500 from what I find. I set out for the 5k interval myself, and usually get it in the shop by 5500.
Where do you get a BMW labor rate of $120?

I was quoted $1200 to install a hitch. I was also quoted, by the same dealer (hereafter known as the schmealer), a hitch kit price of around $400. I assume the hitch kit costs them 50% of retail so they were quoting $1000 for a few hours work.

For the noob, problem areas for this car:

- transmission
- sun roof cassette - very expensive to replace, I agree about not using it unless you have to. I open the interior piece but leave that enormous glass thing alone. I cannot remember if the motor burns out or cheap plastic clippies break. Maybe both.
- roof drains need to be cleaned or water flows into the interior
- front drain underneath windshield needs to be cleaned or water flows into the interior
- bumpy ride
- printing on steering wheel does not hold up - IIRC no one is supposed to put anything on their hands like lotion while touching it. Yes, I actually heard that one and then I did this

Otherwise, a more-than-usual reliable car (according to the internet so it must be true) for a BMW.

N=1 current schmealer stinks.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 AM

BMW noob. X3 noob. Expert Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
Where do you get a BMW labor rate of $120?

I was quoted $1200 to install a hitch. I was also quoted, by the same dealer (hereafter known as the schmealer), a hitch kit price of around $400. I assume the hitch kit costs them 50% of retail so they were quoting $1000 for a few hours work.
I'm pretty sure that's what was printed on the wall in the shop... That doesn't mean if the job takes an hour it's $120 in labor though of course, if the book calls for 2.5 you get charged for 2.5, regardless of how long it actually takes (benefit of having a good Indy you can trust if you are out of warranty).

Quote:
- sun roof cassette - very expensive to replace, I agree about not using it unless you have to. I open the interior piece but leave that enormous glass thing alone. I cannot remember if the motor burns out or cheap plastic clippies break. Maybe both.
The plastic parts go to $hit with time. There is the mod to take care of the back glass panel from sticking in the vent position, but I've learned the fronts will eventually crack anyway... Going to replace all plastic parts soon on my own, not a fun task from what I can tell.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by sixspeedz; 08-05-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Rock & Roll

Yeah the sun roof is a pile of poo (cant say ****)- but its fun to open when you get up the mountains and are cruising around.

As for a hitch install (PPXYZ), You should just do it yourself, there is a great how-to in the quick links, with pix and step by step instructions. I guess it all depends on what your time is worth to you???

Not a mod Im interested in at the moment, but maybe some day.

And thanks Sixspeedz for the info and the warm welcome!

Last edited by Billboard; 08-05-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0i
My local dealer wants $700 for the hitch kit over the counter.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 PM

if you are going to buy parts from the dealer, join the BMW CCA... you will get your dues back in no time

Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Hey Billboard! Beautiful ride dogg!
Get the membership so you can save $$$.

Loving the black rims!
Welcome!!

And here's that OEM hitch for $320... that's where I bought mine. Great for hauling my mountain bike around!

BMWCCA Member

Last edited by ngcreese; 08-06-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 PM

Thanks, I just ordered one, that is a great price.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
As for a hitch install (PPXYZ), You should just do it yourself, there is a great how-to in the quick links, with pix and step by step instructions. I guess it all depends on what your time is worth to you???
as to installing the hitch.

Just kidding. I don't actually want to tow anything, I just need the receiver for this step:

http://www.amazon.com/Otto-Step-Pet-Ramp/dp/B000WQ823E

I was told that the square in this photograph to the right and above the hitch is a "tow hitch" for when the X3 needs towing. Seems like there should be a receiver behind that as well. Maybe that is all I need....need to look into this a bit more.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/gr...73_v3_1000.jpg

Of course I could do all this and the dogs will probably not use it anyway.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 AM

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Quote:
as to installing the hitch.

Just kidding. I don't actually want to tow anything, I just need the receiver for this step:

http://www.amazon.com/Otto-Step-Pet-Ramp/dp/B000WQ823E

I was told that the square in this photograph to the right and above the hitch is a "tow hitch" for when the X3 needs towing. Seems like there should be a receiver behind that as well. Maybe that is all I need....need to look into this a bit more.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/gr...73_v3_1000.jpg

Of course I could do all this and the dogs will probably not use it anyway.
Ah! A little clarification of terms....
Heheh... given that I've had to have my X3 flat-bedded once... dead starter...
That little square covers a threaded whole where your towing eye ( for if you break down...) screws in. The eye is stored in a little tool compartment under the left rear of the trunk floor. Don't know if anyone else makes stuff that can screw into that hole.

I originally got my trailer hitch receiver to carry my mountain bikes around... then my wife and I bought a house... next thing you know I'm renting uhaul trailers all the time for home improvement projects...

... like bringing home wood flooring.
Or...

...hauling a piano home, from Florida... lol!! On that trip, I drove down with the bike carrier on attached to the receiver, coming back I tossed everything in the trailer.

Have receiver... will... haul.

BMWCCA Member
Old 08-07-2013, 07:30 AM

I intend to use mine for a bike carrier most of the time but it might pull my boat a couple of times a year. It is 3500 pounds all up and I will only pull it 35 miles a couple of times a year. There are advantages to living in a flat state. The link does work in spite of the jolly roger, it takes you to the sailing site where I am active.

Last edited by fhopper; 08-07-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: inserted link to tow load photo
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcreese View Post
Ah! A little clarification of terms....
Heheh... given that I've had to have my X3 flat-bedded once... dead starter...
That little square covers a threaded whole where your towing eye ( for if you break down...) screws in. The eye is stored in a little tool compartment under the left rear of the trunk floor. Don't know if anyone else makes stuff that can screw into that hole.
THX for the info. It looked too good to be true!